Food and drink thread

Are you sure that you are a RL fan.... ;)

poached them from the grounds of old carthaginians rufc. Lost a foot in one of the man traps, but all is well, because I can now nick the shoes on display oiutside barrats.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

poached them from the grounds of old carthaginians rufc. Lost a foot in one of the man traps, but all is well, because I can now nick the shoes on display oiutside barrats.

We did wonder whose foot that was. For a while we thought it might be Reginald's, but then he found his on the end of one of his legs so he was ruled out of the list of suspects.

• 8 months later...

Beers from last night.

Innis & Gunn 'Rum Cask' Oak Aged beer. Like the regular stuff, you wouldn't want too much of this at a time, but this new version is very fine indeed. Limited edition, apparently, so grab some while you can.

Brewdog 5am Saint. Clean, very hoppy taste. Nice, and not as alarmingly strong as many Brewdog beers.

Adnams Southwold Bitter. Ho hum. Okay, but nothing exceptional.

Theakston's Old Peculier. Is there any truly civilised being that doesn't know the joys of this one? Not the mad, magic stuff of the pre-takeover days, but still marvellous.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Right, I've just bunged off an order to Virgin Wines. This month, I will mostly be sampling unusual grape varieties, plus a couple of established favourites.

4 bottles of:

The Grid Reserve 2009 (Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon/Mourvedre)

One bottle each of:

Castelfeder Klassische Linie DOC 2007 (Lagrein)

Familia Zuccardi Textual 2007 (Tannat)

Gulfi 2007 (Carjcanti)

Familia Zuccardi Innovacion 2008 (Caladoc)

Rocha Rosa Vinho Regional Alentejano 2007 (Trincadeira)

Ca'di Ponti Sicilia 2010 (Grillo)

The Long Lunch 2010 (6 Grape Blend)

Araldica d'Aria 2010 (Muscat sec)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Right, I've just bunged off an order to Virgin Wines. This month, I will mostly be sampling unusual grape varieties, plus a couple of established favourites.

4 bottles of:

One bottle each of:

Gulfi 2007 (Carjcanti)

I signed up to Virgin Wine bank after you mentioned it on here, it's seems to be a pretty good deal.

My 'personal wine advisor' does try and phone me a lot, but she's a jolly little thing with a husky voice so it's always nice to have a natter. She did put together a very nice case of oaky Spanish wines that I have been enjoying, it's just remembering to decant them a good few hours before drinking to enjoy them at their best.

I signed up to Virgin Wine bank after you mentioned it on here, it's seems to be a pretty good deal.

That first one - The Grid - is one I've ordered before. If it's anything like the last lot I had, that is one MASSIVE red. Unbelievable body and aroma to it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That first one - The Grid - is one I've ordered before. If it's anything like the last lot I had, that is one MASSIVE red. Unbelievable body and aroma to it.

There's just something about South African wines that I don't like. They can be the same grape variety/blend as an Aussie/French/Chillian wine but they always seem to have an after-taste that I am particularly senstive to that I do not like.

There's just something about South African wines that I don't like. They can be the same grape variety/blend as an Aussie/French/Chillian wine but they always seem to have an after-taste that I am particularly senstive to that I do not like.

In the past South African winemakers were guilty of over-oaking their wines to the point of undrinkability.

But some of the ones I've tried recently have been very good - the grape variety they tend to do especially well is Chenin Blanc.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the past South African winemakers were guilty of over-oaking their wines to the point of undrinkability.

But some of the ones I've tried recently have been very good - the grape variety they tend to do especially well is Chenin Blanc.

Heavily oaked wines were very big in the 90's but I stopped drinking SA wines for that precise reason. Beyerskloof Pinotage used to be so over-oaked it was like chewing a tree!

I had heard that they have collectively toned things down, in response to changing tastes, but have yet to pluck up the courage to try.

• 2 weeks later...

One bottle each of:

Gulfi 2007 (Carjcanti)

So far:

The Grid - good, but not as special as the last time I had it (a couple of years ago).

Castelfelder - deep and dark, very nice indeed.

Gulfi - refreshing and citrus-y, with a slightly honeyed aftertaste.

Zuccardi Caladoc - the pick of the bunch so far. Definitely buying more of this one.

Grillo - interesting, different, delicious.

The Long Lunch - a decent red, but nothing outstanding.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So far:

The Grid - good, but not as special as the last time I had it (a couple of years ago).

Castelfelder - deep and dark, very nice indeed.

Gulfi - refreshing and citrus-y, with a slightly honeyed aftertaste.

Zuccardi Caladoc - the pick of the bunch so far. Definitely buying more of this one.

Grillo - interesting, different, delicious.

The Long Lunch - a decent red, but nothing outstanding.

I had a bottle of Can Rafols dels Caus Gran Caus 2001 last night, I decanted it and gave it a good long time to breathe and it was a very nice wine but I would never pay full price for this. I think Virgin get a bit carried away at times, they are trying to flog some of their young Riojas at £10 or more a bottle which is crazy money when in Spain that kind of stuff can be had for a few Euros.

I've had an email from Osgrow, with their Hallowe'en Hamper.

Contents:

• 4 Pairs of Frightening Frogs Legs
  • 1 x Peppermint Ant Lolly
  • 1 x Scary Scorpion Vodka Lolly (vodka flavoring)
  • 1 x Tequila Worm Lolly(tequila flavoring)
  • 5 x Slippery Snails with Garlic Butter
  • 1 Pack of Thai Green Curry Crickets
  • 5 x Loathsome Locusts

Ralph Waldo Emerson

World's hottest chilli contest leaves two in hospital

From the article: "One participant, Curie Kim was so ill after sampling the "Kismot Killer" that she had to be taken by ambulance to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary TWICE in a matter of hours." :O

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slightly more sedate chez Futtocks - Scallops and little cubes of Iberico ham, fried in olive oil and finished with lemon butter. The whole lot tipped over a potato & caramelised onion rosti. Bottle of Viognier. Life is good when you've just been paid. :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Currently re-reading Iain Banks' 'Raw Spirit', which has prompted the purchase of a bottle of Sainsbury 'Taste the Difference' 12yo Islay Single Malt.

Very nice smoky dram for under £20 - I suspect it may be from the Caol Ila distillery.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Went to Betty's in Harrogate at the weekend. How can something as simple as sandwiches, a scone and cake taste so damn good.

Oh and BTW, and its scone to rhyme with gone, not cone. Anyone who does the latter will be first up against the wall.

Fides invicta triumphat

New kitchen now 95% up and running. Fridge and freezer on, oven plugged in, other oven (oh yes, we have two ovens now) plugged in, 6 glorious cooker rings plumbed into the gas.

Just a little more painting and an extractor fan to install and we're done.

It's been a long two months, and thanks to a diet of takeaways and microwavable meals for one I'm almost a stone heavier, but we're finally back in business!

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

we have two ovens now

And you were telling me it's my responsibility to do the business to Sevvy.

You utter gaylord.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)