Food and drink thread

And you were telling me it's my responsibility to do the business to Sevvy.

You utter gaylord.

Hah. You just can't cope with two at once.

You see Jon, owning an oven is like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to make sure they're up to temperature before you stick your meat in.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

You see Jon, owning an oven is like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to make sure they're up to temperature before you stick your meat in.

Christ, so you're not getting any either.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Just placed an order with Virgin Wines:

4 x Familia Zuccardi Innovacion Caladoc 2008

2 x Familia Zuccardi Textual Tannat 2007

2 x Castelfeder Lagrein Klassische Linie DOC 2007

2 x The Extremist Granite Vineyard Chenin Blanc 2010

2 x Zeferino Molise Falanghina 2009

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jesus do you get a prize for finishing that.
No fried bread? A man could starve in this house!
In my haste I forgot to mention the stipulation;

i) you have to eat it within 20 minutes, and

ii) you cannot have anything to drink with it.

It costs £10.95, which in itself is suprisingly cheap, and if you manage the challenge it's free.

You even have to sign a health disclaimer before you start!

Link. Caution, this is from the Daily Mail

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I cooked a shoulder of lamb in a sort of sous-vide method, which was fab.

• First I gave the meat a going-over with a skewer, then seasoned and seared it in a frying pan.
  • The meat was then rubbed with smoked paprika and Sainsbury Moroccan spice mix.
  • Then I sealed it in a plastic food bag, sucking out as much air as possible and popped it into water in the slow cooker for about 1 hour on 'full' and 5 hours on 'low'.
  • I finished it in a regular oven for about 30 minutes, roasting it along with various diced root vegetables. While that was cooking, I reduced the lamb juices with some red wine to make a gravy, using the occasional spoonful to baste the meat.

The result was rich, tender and delicious.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yesterday I cooked a shoulder of lamb in a sort of sous-vide method, which was fab.

• First I gave the meat a going-over with a skewer, then seasoned and seared it in a frying pan.
  • The meat was then rubbed with smoked paprika and Sainsbury Moroccan spice mix.
  • Then I sealed it in a plastic food bag, sucking out as much air as possible and popped it into water in the slow cooker for about 1 hour on 'full' and 5 hours on 'low'.
  • I finished it in a regular oven for about 30 minutes, roasting it along with various diced root vegetables. While that was cooking, I reduced the lamb juices with some red wine to make a gravy, using the occasional spoonful to baste the meat.

The result was rich, tender and delicious.

Sous-vide? Sounds a bit Heston and a bit of a faff for me.

Fides invicta triumphat

Sous-vide? Sounds a bit Heston and a bit of a faff for me.

Nothing simpler - about 2 minutes' preparation, a few more minutes in the frying pan, then you can leave the slow cooker to do its thing while you get on with your life.

I've also done spare ribs in a barbecue marinade by this method, and that really works well too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sous-vide? Fancy boil in the bag?

That's the one. Although it's more "barely-simmer-in-the-bag".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making this tonight and I've marinated the chicken overnight.

Now, I've halved the ingredients because there isn't 4 of us eating it, and I think I have added a bit too much greek yoghurt.

But my question is this, should I use the marinade as part of the sauce?! I don't wanna chuck it but it makes no mention of using the marinade again. What's the usual way to go with a used marinade?!

I'm making this tonight and I've marinated the chicken overnight.

Now, I've halved the ingredients because there isn't 4 of us eating it, and I think I have added a bit too much greek yoghurt.

But my question is this, should I use the marinade as part of the sauce?! I don't wanna chuck it but it makes no mention of using the marinade again. What's the usual way to go with a used marinade?!

Nevermind. It was nice but too much oil and a bit too much chilli. Worth doing again to tweak.

Yesterday I was looking for some cheap Morrisons own brand strong lager, for the nostalgia, I couldn't find any, but I ended up going for something that caught my eye called Gold Label, turns out it's what's known as a barley wine, it's orrite I spose, I was hoping for a lager though.

Yesterday I was looking for some cheap Morrisons own brand strong lager, for the nostalgia, I couldn't find any, but I ended up going for something that caught my eye called Gold Label, turns out it's what's known as a barley wine, it's orrite I spose, I was hoping for a lager though.

Barley wine is just a label given to ale that is too strong to be called a beer.

Fides invicta triumphat