Food and drink thread

Yesterday I was looking for some cheap Morrisons own brand strong lager, for the nostalgia, I couldn't find any, but I ended up going for something that caught my eye called Gold Label, turns out it's what's known as a barley wine, it's orrite I spose, I was hoping for a lager though.

I do hope you weren't pre-loading!

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

• 3 weeks later...

Cooking question I've always wondered... which I can't word correctly for google

When cooking anything that requires it being held at a certain temperature for a period of time, how do you do it?

Is it same application of heat? Lower the heat? Turn off the heat?

This might be a daft question but it's something I've juggled with to no avail.

Cooking question I've always wondered... which I can't word correctly for google

When cooking anything that requires it being held at a certain temperature for a period of time, how do you do it?

Is it same application of heat? Lower the heat? Turn off the heat?

This might be a daft question but it's something I've juggled with to no avail.

You'd need an accurate and responsive thermometer, especially at first (when bringing up to the required temperature). But that's only if it is really crucial for it to be a precise, unwavering heat. Otherwise, your average oven's heat settings would probably be good enough for most purposes.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You'd need an accurate and responsive thermometer, especially at first (when bringing up to the required temperature). But that's only if it is really crucial for it to be a precise, unwavering heat. Otherwise, your average oven's heat settings would probably be good enough for most purposes.

Sorry I meant more on the hob. I agree with the thermometer though, of which I've recently purchased, a bit slow mind but can't complain for £3.25 - it'll do.

But once the food stuff (mainly liquid) is brought to x degrees what do I do with the gas hob?!

Sorry I meant more on the hob. I agree with the thermometer though, of which I've recently purchased, a bit slow mind but can't complain for £3.25 - it'll do.

But once the food stuff (mainly liquid) is brought to x degrees what do I do with the gas hob?!

To be honest, I don't have gas, but I'd continue tweaking and monitoring until it looks stable. Then check it every now and then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order with Virgin Wines:

4 x Familia Zuccardi Innovacion Caladoc 2008

2 x Familia Zuccardi Organica Malbec 2009

2 x The Frontier Hexagon Red Blend 2010

2 x Frank's Own Wild White 2011

1 x Java Blanc 2011

1 x Puntino Malvasia Greco Terre degli Osci 2010

...and all's well with the world. :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just placed an order with Virgin Wines:

4 x Familia Zuccardi Innovacion Caladoc 2008

2 x Familia Zuccardi Organica Malbec 2009

2 x The Frontier Hexagon Red Blend 2010

2 x Frank's Own Wild White 2011

1 x Java Blanc 2011

1 x Puntino Malvasia Greco Terre degli Osci 2010

...and all's well with the world. smile.gif

I got a case of some Spanish white recently from their auctions, very decent it is too.

The order was placed Tuesday afternoon and arrived Wednesday morning. That's pretty damn quick! :)

BTW, if you like intriguing and excellent wines, check out Familia Zuccardi - every one of their wines I've tried so far has been superb. The Caladoc, a grape variety I haven't seen anywhere else, is my current favourite (and the first one I opened from this case).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Planning on making this tonight - a very tasty and satisfying dish invented by the Russian opera singer Feodor Shalyapin. Seeing as the recipe doesn't appear to be available anywhere online, here it is:

MUSHROOMS SHALYAPIN STYLE

Ingredients (serves 6)

• 500g Mushrooms
  • 300g Vermicelli (or similar)
  • 125g Butter
  • 3 Medium Onions
  • 150ml Sour Cream
  • 500g Cooked Ham
  • 375g Mild Cheese
  • 5tsp Parsley
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Preparation

• Wipe and finely chop Mushrooms
  • Peel and finely chop Onions
  • Chop Ham
  • Grate Cheese
  • Chop Parsley

Instructions

1. Simmer Vermicelli in salted water until cooked and drain

2. Melt half the butter in a frying pan and cook the Mushrooms and Onions until soft

3. Stir Sour Cream into Mushrooms and Onions

4. Butter an ovenproof dish

5. Mix remaining Butter and seasoning with the Vermicelli

6. Put Vermicelli into dish and top with Mushrooms and Onions

7. Top with Ham

8. Top with Cheese

9. Top with Parsley

10. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until Cheese is browned

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BTW, anyone passing through St Pancras station, head to the North end and try the pork pies sold by Sourced Market. Superb, absolutely superb. :)

Their various types of Scotch Egg are pretty good too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Just bought a bottle of this new version of Tabasco, made with Chipotle (smoked) peppers. Smells nice, and spiced up a ham hock sandwich, which was the first thing I tried it on.

09753-alt1.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

To be honest, I don't have gas, but I'd continue tweaking and monitoring until it looks stable. Then check it every now and then.

agreed

you just develop your own judgement.

Just made a couple of litres of pea and ham soup

ham hock on the bone

some yellow split peas

onions

carrots

swede

chicken stock

seasoning.

I haven't a clue about the quantities or the temperatures.

I'm on with sea reout pate at the mo and some spicy fish cakes. I just get on with it.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I've just had a McVities dark chocolate digestive with a dollop of Nutella on top.

Marvellous

just had a cheeze and chorizo muffin.

My daughter has a little business doing high end picnics: google piggy's picnics

and this was left over from a job she had. Bloody lovely.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

agreed

you just develop your own judgement.

I haven't a clue about the quantities or the temperatures.

I just get on with it.

This applies to most cooking. The more you do it, the less you have to worry about being precise, because most cooking is not precise.The only area where you have to be spot on with weights, measures and temperature is baking.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This applies to most cooking. The more you do it, the less you have to worry about being precise, because most cooking is not precise.The only area where you have to be spot on with weights, measures and temperature is baking.

I agree about baking, but I don't do much. My daughter is the baker: and anyway she wont let me near piggys picnics apart from washing up, which I think is harsh but fair.

Keeping it local

I don't bake much, just the occasional loaf of soda bread (because I rarely have time to make regular bread, with all the rising time etc.).

Incidentally, soda bread with finely chopped black olives and preserved peppers mixed into the dough is a very fine thing, especially eaten warm with plenty of salted butter.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

only if you aren't a real man

There are limits. For most of us, at least - one of the contestants was hospitalised TWICE.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A visit yesterday to 'The Rib Man' with his stall between King's Cross and St Pancras. Tale one soft white bap, shove in not one but two fistfulls of shredded, slow-cooked pig and dollop on the barbecue sauce (I wimped out of having the 'Holy ######' sauce option).

Pretty damn good. I normally adhere to Miss Piggy's adage that you should never eat anything larger than your own head. Fortunately, I have a very large head.

The area North of the two stations is undergoing much improvement. Wander up towards the canal, past the giant rainbow-lit birdcage with the swing inside, and you see the fountains in front of the art college. It's still a work in progress, but much less seedy than it used to be.

Ralph Waldo Emerson