Food and drink thread

Sorry, anyway, the point about goat is a similar one - is it a matter of supply and demand or are we just culturally attuned to eating sheep but not goats?

Bit of both - or maybe the availability creating the cultural tendency.

I know when Waitrose have various gamebirds available in their meat section during the Winter, it sells well, so there's certainly some demand for non-standard meats. And the other day, I bought some ox cheeks off their butchers' counter. But in general, supermarkets are a bit tame when it comes to choice.

If you're lucky enough to have a good local butcher, I envy you.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only places I could find it in Bradford were a handful of halal butchers. It could be ordered in to the butchers at Asda (Dudley Hill, Bradford, it's a halal butcher there too), or rather they get an order in every so often, but it led nowhere.

you can get it on Leeds Market no bother

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I'm certain they don't exist. I mean, has anyone ever seen a good butcher?

I do. Don't remember seeing goat in there though.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

There is an excellent butcher in Adel, on the northern edge of Leeds, who will get you any meat you ask for, within reason, on request.

There are also 3 very good butchers I use, all halal incidentally, that sell goat as a matter of course (on or off the bone). You can throw a blanket over them on the Wetherby Road between Harehills and Oakwood for those that know the area I suspect many people don't know just how friendly these places are. They are staffed by smiling people who don't mind you asking questions; for example, they don't have a whole leg of lamb on show but if you ask for one they will go out back, which you can see, and cut you one for at least half the price of Tesco which is only about 200 metres away.

And yes, I suppose I am lucky, but there are of course good and bad points to living in Leeds. Access to great local shops is one of the good things.

There is an excellent butcher in Adel, on the northern edge of Leeds, who will get you any meat you ask for, within reason, on request.

There are also 3 very good butchers I use, all halal incidentally, that sell goat as a matter of course (on or off the bone). You can throw a blanket over them on the Wetherby Road between Harehills and Oakwood for those that know the area I suspect many people don't know just how friendly these places are. They are staffed by smiling people who don't mind you asking questions; for example, they don't have a whole leg of lamb on show but if you ask for one they will go out back, which you can see, and cut you one for at least half the price of Tesco which is only about 200 metres away.

And yes, I suppose I am lucky, but there are of course good and bad points to living in Leeds. Access to great local shops is one of the good things.

Where I live the butchers are fairly poor. They all seem to offer cheap sausages, chicken and burgers in BBQ packs and little else. We have a farmers market that comes around every so often where you can pick up some good quality meat and it is almost as cheap as what our local butcher charge for cheap rubbish. I've heard him moan about the farmers market because it is ruining his business.

Fides invicta triumphat

Where I live the butchers are fairly poor. They all seem to offer cheap sausages, chicken and burgers in BBQ packs and little else. We have a farmers market that comes around every so often where you can pick up some good quality meat and it is almost as cheap as what our local butcher charge for cheap rubbish. I've heard him moan about the farmers market because it is ruining his business.

Do you live in Wigan?

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as the season for hearty food is upon us, I made a beef, chestnut and mushroom stew in the slow cooker, finished off by reducing the sauce and adding a spoonful of sour cream. Served with parmentier potatoes cooked in goose fat, and accompanied by a bottle or Sicilian Nero d'Avola. Life is good. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seeing as the season for hearty food is upon us, I made a beef, chestnut and mushroom stew in the slow cooker, finished off by reducing the sauce and adding a spoonful of sour cream. Served with parmentier potatoes cooked in goose fat, and accompanied by a bottle or Sicilian Nero d'Avola. Life is good. :)

I'd have used creme freche, but quality cooking mate

yesterday I did Sunday kunch for ten people. I bought trhis massive leg of pork from ASDA, uncool yes I know, but it was truly gorgeous and trhe crackling was the best I've ever had, including that made by my mam-who as it happens talked me through preparing it.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I'd have used creme freche, but quality cooking mate

I've sometimes used crème fraiche, but I needed something more neutral in flavour.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Has anyone tried breadfruit? And would anyone know where to get some?

My best bet is the West Indian greengrocers in John Street Market, or the Ostler Centre as it's now been renamed.

http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recipe=369

http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recipe=299

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

We're as much to blame for going along with the pretensioness of it all. We should just ask for coffee, black, white chocolaty etc.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Just ask for a "marrone caldo"

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just ask for a "marrone caldo"

Or a 'Gutless Wonder', if you're a fan of Frasier. ;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We have a butcher in Hastings TC, in Queens Arcade (where TV was first demonstrated), that can get anything you want in a 24 hour notice.

He also sells regularly Kangaroo, Buffalo, Crocodile & Zebra meat.

(I'll do the rubbish joke for you, "Hey waiter, I want a crocodile sandwich, & make it snappy) :mellow:

just had a cheeze and chorizo muffin.

My daughter has a little business doing high end picnics: google piggy's picnics

and this was left over from a job she had. Bloody lovely.

I like the sound of that.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Had haggis* on Hallowe'en, so, in a nod to the day, served it with roasted pumpkin instead of neeps. Much tastier! :)

Shame the supermarkets don't sell proper pumpkins for more of the year. Butternut squash is okay, but a bit bland.

*MacSweens, naturally. B)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just watched Perfect... Family Christmas and the two chefs finished by making a trifle. Both made a jelly to go on the trifle and the implication was each trifle was put straight into the fridge to set the jelly.

This reminded me of a discussion had about a decade or go about whether or not you can put hot things into the fridge.

TRL foodie thoughts?

I reckon it raises an interesting point about supply and demand. Why don't supermarkets stock it? They'll probably tell you there's no demand, but I think its the big supermarkets that create demand by what they supply, if you see what I mean.

I regularly have a bit of a dig at various supermarket fishmongers in my neck of the woods. I ask them why they continue to sell critically endangered fish - those in genuine danger of extinction - and they always come back with the same line, that its about satisfying customer demand. I suspect that this is complete nonsense, as a lot of people don't go looking for specific species from a specific part of the oceans, they just generally have a look and see what's on offer. Are the supermarkets really saying that if they withdrew skate wings, for example, then people would shop elsewhere as a result?

Sorry, anyway, the point about goat is a similar one - is it a matter of supply and demand or are we just culturally attuned to eating sheep but not goats?

Prefer coley to things like cod. Thicker, cheaper and not as flakey