Food and drink thread

<p><p><p>Ribs - how 'tis done chez Dr F. At least how I did 'em on Saturday.

• Rub a generous sprinkle of Sainsbury Mexican Spice mix onto the ribs, with a little oil (just enough to make the spices stick to the meat). Leave to marinade for an hour or so.
  • Put into a slow cooker for 1 hour on 'full', followed by 3 or more hours on 'low'.
  • Then decant into roasting tray, and squirt plenty of Sainsbury Sweet & Spicy barbecue sauce all over the meat. Roast in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes, 'til sticky. Alternatively, this step can be accomplished on the barbecue, if you have one. But be careful, as the meat is falling off the bone at this point.
  • Allow to cool, then make a disgusting pig of yourself. After which, you may need to take a shower...

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Excellent prawn risotto last night; flavoured simply with onion, garlic and chilli flakes, one veg stock cube and a glug of cheap white wine. Chucked in some red pepper, broccoli and chopped fine beans to add colour and bite. Delicious. Oh and a bit of parmesan on top.

Tonight its home made chicken tandoori with rice and chick peas, brinjal pickle and greek yoghurt.

There's plenty too if anyone wants to pop round...

Excellent prawn risotto last night; flavoured simply with onion, garlic and chilli flakes, one veg stock cube and a glug of cheap white wine. Chucked in some red pepper, broccoli and chopped fine beans to add colour and bite. Delicious. Oh and a bit of parmesan on top.

Tonight its home made chicken tandoori with rice and chick peas, brinjal pickle and greek yoghurt.

There's plenty too if anyone wants to pop round...

I'm a big fan of risotto since I learned how easy it is to prepare. I tend to limit the ingredients to one main ingredient added to white risotto. Spicy roasted squash and mushroom risotto are my favourites. Also it's a very cheap meal.

Fides invicta triumphat

One of the most delicious things I ever made for myself was a "risotto". The inference being it was rice based slop. It was amazing, super umami, and included mushrooms, mushroom cup soup, nori and anything else I could think of that was of that ilk. It was so thick you could use it in bricklaying.

I do love risotto, having taught myself to make it from instructions on the back of a packet of 'Riso Gallo' carnaroli. It doesn't look particularly appealing, but it's tasty, comforting and filling. And you can experiment with different additions.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

ah yes risotto. You've got me remeniscing now. If it wasn't fore risotto(sic), packet soup with pasta in it, and kashmir curries I'd have never lived through uni.

You could feed a houseful on 'risotto' and anything went: that bit in the YOung Ones where Neil ws making snow risotto wasn't far off.

boil a load of rice half to death. Strain and put to one side. Chop up some onions, peppers and mushrooms(optional if your grant hasn't come through or you spent it on a leather coat in the first week of term), and garlic. Soften in the pan you used for the rice. Add cheap mince, or maybe tuna and get it going in the pan with some garlic and some Schwarz mixed herbs and black pepper(schwarz and another name starting with 'Mc' was all that there was, chuck the rice in, add some oxo, pluce maybe some tomato puree if there was any lying about.

Shovel down.

head fore the Union bar and romance.

them wot days

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

...although that's not strictly risotto.

quite

hence the sic and the inverted commas.

It was risotto to us at the time. You could only buy two kinds of rice and tghe other was pudding rice(actually closer to risotto rice maybe).

Keeping it local

Quite and not surprisingly, risotto rice makes cracking rice pudding.

until vesta curries came out, the only rice I ate was rice pudding. In fact I didn't know there was any other kind. My gran's was the best by a mile. She did it on the black yorkshire range oven. School rice pudding was ok as well.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

It was risotto to us at the time.

Same here. Anything mixed into (usually long-grain) rice was 'risotto' back then.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just checked the burgers we have in. They are marked “Low in fat, high in Shergar”. A friend of mine ate some which gave him the trots but he's stable now. I've got some in my freezer but it looks like I’m saddled with them.....

I must say I'm surprised at the number of people who are appalled at the notion of eating horse meat. Granted, only beef should be present in beef burgers but horse meat is lovely.

I think people are being a bit squeamish. Horses generally are given a name. Most people don't like eating things with a name.

See also: Rabbit

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I think people are being a bit squeamish. Horses generally are given a name. Most people don't like eating things with a name.

it's custom and culture as well

I can remember when horsemeat was eaten in this country. There was a horsemeat buthchers in Leeds when I was a kid, but it was going out of style.

The point is though that these burgers weren't supposed to have it in, same goes for the pork that was also found in them.

Keeping it local

I love rabbit and considering the number of them and how easy they are to breed I'm surprised we don't eat more of them.

Fides invicta triumphat

I love rabbit and considering the number of them and how easy they are to breed I'm surprised we don't eat more of them.

Up until the myxomatosis outbreak in the 50's we did.Unfortunately intensive farming made pork,chicken etc cheaper to buy than rabbit.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

it's custom and culture as well

I can remember when horsemeat was eaten in this country. There was a horsemeat buthchers in Leeds when I was a kid, but it was going out of style.

The point is though that these burgers weren't supposed to have it in, same goes for the pork that was also found in them.

I remember the horse meat butcher in Leeds - near the market. I've seen horse meat butchers in France - there's usually a brass horse's head over the door. I ordered steak hache cheval in a restaurant in Brive thinking it was horse - but it was just a burger with an egg on top!

If you don't like Tesco's burgers try their meatballs, I hear they're the dogs b ollocks!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.