Food and drink thread

Lidl is unfairly derided. Much of their 'continental' fare is excellent!

Lidl and aldi are brilliant shops

I buy olive oil, fresh fruit and veg, cheese, charcuterie, hand tools, all sorts, you can't go wrong

In Meanwood there is an ALDI and a waitrose within 50 yards of each other you see the same people in ALDI as you see in Waitrose

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Lidl and aldi are brilliant shops

I buy olive oil, fresh fruit and veg, cheese, charcuterie, hand tools, all sorts, you can't go wrong

In Meanwood there is an ALDI and a waitrose within 50 yards of each other you see the same people in ALDI as you see in Waitrose

Agree, and I wish I had one a bit closer. Love browsing and seeing something a bit different on the shelf in these shops, so much better than the mundane selection in Tesco and it's ilk.

I casseroled the reindeer and it was very nice indeed. Unlike the "diced" game you get in many shops, these were good-sized chunks (about an inch cubed), not random offcuts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tescos down my way sell packs of Mixed mutton and lamb mince in half kilo packs for £2. For all I know it could be 99% mutton as it doesnt give an approximate breakdown, either way it makes a great shepards pie / mutton keema

I found some on the "going cheap" section

(That's what we call it- has anyone a better name for it?)

I cooked off most of the fat and added some mint, onion and egg plus seasoning and made burgers.

Not the most exciting recipe but they were nice.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

At Asda they call the reduced to clear items "whoopsies", FFS!

Does anyone know where I can get small bottles or tasters of liquers? (besides shots at a bar or pub)

For my new things to try next year I've concocted a list of booze I've never tried including; kirsch, benedictine, sloe gin and limoncello; but I don't need a whole bottle of the stuff.

If the best and easiest solution is a well-stocked bar or pub then anyone any recommendations in the Bradford/Brighouse area?

Does anyone know where I can get small bottles or tasters of liquers? (besides shots at a bar or pub)

For my new things to try next year I've concocted a list of booze I've never tried including; kirsch, benedictine, sloe gin and limoncello; but I don't need a whole bottle of the stuff.

There are a few websites that do miniatures.  Mr Benson, once of this parish, had them at his wedding instead of the usual lame favours. 

A quick google should see you sorted.

Edited by Larry the Leit

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

What band is that then? and where abouts in the Netherlands? I've never seen that in the Hague. Maybe that's because I have my bacon and egss blinkers on though.

I don't like to talk about my band on the forum, I've sent you a PM.

I stayed near Utrecht last night in one of the big international chains, but this is available in pretty much all of the Dutch based Van Der Walk hotels too from what I've seen.

I had raw beef pressed/minced beef at breakfast this morning in my hotel in the Netherlands (I'm on tour, with my band).  It was lovely with a bit of sliced tomato.

That's Steak Tartare, didn't you have the raw egg on it?

I used to have it a lot in France.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

If you can get past the raw egg texture, it's damn tasty. Although it should be chopped, rather than minced.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't like to talk about my band on the forum, I've sent you a PM.

I stayed near Utrecht last night in one of the big international chains, but this is available in pretty much all of the Dutch based Van Der Walk hotels too from what I've seen.

Yet you mention it quite a lot.I see quite a few bands,it would be interesting to see and hear yours.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

At Asda they call the reduced to clear items "whoopsies", FFS!

If the best and easiest solution is a well-stocked bar or pub then anyone any recommendations in the Bradford/Brighouse area?

You could try Gerrys in Leeds near the Grand Theatre,they might have what your looking for.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I've bought a couple of partridges (Lidl again) for tonight. :) Stuff 'em with chestnuts, lard 'em with bacon, then roast.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nearly but not quite, I love that and have that when in that there french France.

It's called steak Américain or something like that. Widely available in the fresh sandwich shops in the motorway service stations within the Netherlands. There's no egg, and the portions at breakfast aren't full meal size. Although there's nothing to stop anyone having seconds. Lovely it is.

I'm in Brussels again next week, I was a bit pressed for time when I was there last and I had a quick meal in a bar. It was Crepe Monsieur Bolognese, which sounded so odd and low-rent that I decided to have it. Lovely it was, basically the normal toasted sarnie thing served with a big gravy jug full of meaty Bolognese to pour over the top and small green salad.

Edited by Larry the Leit

I've bought a couple of partridges (Lidl again) for tonight. :) Stuff 'em with chestnuts, lard 'em with bacon, then roast.

I didn't use the chestnuts in the end - just put some butter, thyme and a clove of garlic inside each bird and put a layer of Iberico ham over the breasts. Very tasty, and a good amount of meat for the money.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I didn't use the chestnuts in the end - just put some butter, thyme and a clove of garlic inside each bird and put a layer of Iberico ham over the breasts. Very tasty, and a good amount of meat for the money.

You'd probably have got enough sweetness from the garlic

I don't go in for mucking about with game birds too much since they already have plenty of distinctive flavour

I agree with the ham though

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local