Food and drink thread

Too good

Nail on head. There are some very strong drinks that slip down entirely too easily.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Virgin Wines delivery! Two bottles each of:

Finca los Principes El Rihuelo Rioja 2012
Zinification Shiraz Zinfandel 2011
Perez Cruz Single Vineyard La Higuera Block 2011
Ariki Reserva Colchagua Carmenère Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Beneficio Cellar Reserve Grenache Shiral Mourvèdre 2011
Gran Villa Gran Reserva 2002

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Virgin Wines delivery! Two bottles each of:

Finca los Principes El Rihuelo Rioja 2012

Zinification Shiraz Zinfandel 2011

Perez Cruz Single Vineyard La Higuera Block 2011

Ariki Reserva Colchagua Carmenère Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

Beneficio Cellar Reserve Grenache Shiral Mourvèdre 2011

Gran Villa Gran Reserva 2002

I am getting daily emails from my Virgin Wine Advisor....I may have to take out a restraining order as this is getting a bit much.

This one is rather nice, had a case of this a while ago - Gran Villa Gran Reserva 2002

I am getting daily emails from my Virgin Wine Advisor....I may have to take out a restraining order as this is getting a bit much.

This one is rather nice, had a case of this a while ago - Gran Villa Gran Reserva 2002

You do get a fair number of email offers. This was one (a 'Double Discount' offer), but normally I make my own selections. I went for this offer because I had already tried and liked the Zinification and the Perez Cruz.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have boiled a gammon roll with herbs, onion and vinegar in the water.

Roll was £5-for-1kg  on offer at the Co-op.

Am eating  a salad and gammon sandwich, made in granary bread from Bert Marshall's.

I'd recommend it. 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I've never tried shop bought sloe gin. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Not tried many, but Sipsmith do a Sloe Gin and a Damson Vodka, both of which are nice. I've seen their bottles in some supermarkets.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Partridges from Lidl for tonight. Going to make hasselback potatoes with walnut & honey butter to serve with the birds.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

You do get a fair number of email offers. This was one (a 'Double Discount' offer), but normally I make my own selections. I went for this offer because I had already tried and liked the Zinification and the Perez Cruz.

The Gran Villa is best decanted and given a lot of time to breathe (up to 24hrs) as it really does improve and all the flavours come out. Straight out the bottle it can seem a bit bland, although it can vary a bit bottle to bottle.

I've had a few of the Perez Cruz offerings and they are rather nice. I've had a few emails about a white Rioja which I may get a few bottles of soon as my last case of Spanish white from Virgin was superb.

Fever Tree tonic water is simply unbeatable.

Pricey, mind, and some people I know find it a little too strongly-flavoured. I like it, but not all the time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pricey, mind, and some people I know find it a little too strongly-flavoured. I like it, but not all the time.

Where can you get it?

I enjoy tonic water as a drink in its own right

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Where can you get it?

I enjoy tonic water as a drink in its own right

I've bought it in Sainsbury and Waitrose, so it's not confined to a single seller and could be in other supermarkets too. Not keen on the diet version, though.

I bought a bottle of Hendricks gin on Saturday, as it was discounted. A very fine example with a delicate flavour that includes a mild infusion of rose-petal and cucumber as well as the usual aromatics.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've bought it in Sainsbury and Waitrose, so it's not confined to a single seller and could be in other supermarkets too. Not keen on the diet version, though.

I bought a bottle of Hendricks gin on Saturday, as it was discounted. A very fine example with a delicate flavour that includes a mild infusion of rose-petal and cucumber as well as the usual aromatics.

but did it get you leathered?

Thanks for the info about tonic watter. It seems that it's a question of keeping one's eyes open

getting back to sloe gin.

I always start chris tmas day off with a sloe fuse.

Keeping it local

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid.  Overpowered just about any gin I put it in - from memory, a strong vanilla hit to it?  While my sweet meats could manage it I segued rather wonderfully into Gin and Freshly squeezed lemonade.  Wahey!

Tonight having sliced 80 packets of bacon today, I am spoiling myself with the offcuts fried up with a bit of mustard, a couple of free range eggs, a large pain de campagne, and a bottle of cote du rhone (chilled).

Edited by timtum

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid.  Overpowered just about any gin I put it in - from memory, a strong vanilla hit to it?  While my sweet meats could manage it I segued rather wonderfully into Gin and Freshly squeezed lemonade.  Wahey!

Tonight having sliced 80 packets of bacon today, I am spoiling myself with the offcuts fried up with a bit of mustard, a couple of free range eggs, a large pain de campagne, and a bottle of cote du rhone (chilled).

now that's living

Keeping it local

I bought a small bottle of sloe gin from Brighouse market for £2.99 - it's ear-marked as my something new to try in December.

Tonight I have been mostly making pickled mushrooms in oil... with so many Italian flavours it makes Super Mario look like Tintin.