Food and drink thread

I've been offered 8 legs of venison for £50.

Is that too dear?

Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer

had a very shiny nose.

It's there amongst the carrots,

beans, shallots and po-tay-toes.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been offered 8 legs of venison for £50.

Is that too dear?

I did Venison Wellington last night, similar to beef welly, but sweeter, tonight is Caribbean Prawn Rundown, and tomorrow is Honey Roast pork with Jerked Vegetables

Edited by Bleep1673

TRL Helpdesk

Does anyone reckon I could use baker's yeast to make ginger beer?

There's some sachets knocking around along with some ginger and I was curious.

I'm on a bit of a home-made food stuff roll at the moment; chilli relish and chilli sauce, pickled mushrooms and now possibly ginger beer.

(The internet is a bit too nerdy when it comes to home-brewing talk.)

TRL Helpdesk

I'm on a bit of a home-made food stuff roll at the moment; chilli relish and chilli sauce, pickled mushrooms and now possibly ginger beer.

I don't know about dried yeast

but when I was a kid wqe used to use live yeast

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I had one for a while. The results were okay, but I don't eat bread as much as I used to, so eventually I gave it away.

I occasionally make soda bread, which doesn't take as long, but it's been a while since I made a regular loaf.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had one for a while. The results were okay, but I don't eat bread as much as I used to, so eventually I gave it away.

I occasionally make soda bread, which doesn't take as long, but it's been a while since I made a regular loaf.

I try to cut back on my bread intake, but it's very difficult when there's a pot of caramelised onion houmous in the fridge.

We had one that was passable. Had nothing on.bread made by hand

Agree, I may be a bit odd but I really enjoy making bread when I have the time and the family love sitting down to fresh homemade bread for lunch. I have a bread maker for churning out basic loaves but making bread by hand is far superior IMHO,

Family favourites are baguettes and rosemary foccacia. Serve with cheese and olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping the bread in. 

Anyone else use a bread maker? The missus uses it most nights and I have to say that the bread is delicious. One hundred times better than a purchased loaf.

We've got a decent break maker and use the premium bread mixes from Lakeland.  Stick the water in the thing, stick the mix in the thing, put in the right amount of yeast then leave it.  It's a lovely thing smelling the fresh bread cooking away with the smell wafting through the entire house.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We've got a decent break maker and use the premium bread mixes from Lakeland.  Stick the water in the thing, stick the mix in the thing, put in the right amount of yeast then leave it.  It's a lovely thing smelling the fresh bread cooking away with the smell wafting through the entire house.

I agree, the Lakeland mixes are pretty good.

I have (somewhere) a copy of Pat Chapman's 'Curry Club' Middle Eastern cookery book, with recipes for several varieties of flatbreads, which are quick and easy to make. Seems to be o/p now, but is available second-hand on the likes of Amazon for pennies (plus the usual postage charge).

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had steak & kidney pudding last night, for the first time in years. Delicious - why did I leave it so long since last time?  :no2:

Served with marrowfat peas and potato, parsnip & chestnut croquettes. Good, rich, hearty winter food.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm trying to be good and am cutting down on my alcohol intake. Last night for the first time ever I had only one glass of wine ( I always used to wonder what on earth was the point of those wine saver corks.)

So now that I'm in touch with my feminine side ( keep your snide comments to yourselves) can anyone recommend a half decent red in a box? Or is it all rubbish.

I suppose if I'm now getting 3 sessions from a bottle I can afford a better class of wine. But is there any such thing as decent boxed wine?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I'm trying to be good and am cutting down on my alcohol intake. Last night for the first time ever I had only one glass of wine ( I always used to wonder what on earth was the point of those wine saver corks.)

So now that I'm in touch with my feminine side ( keep your snide comments to yourselves) can anyone recommend a half decent red in a box? Or is it all rubbish.

I suppose if I'm now getting 3 sessions from a bottle I can afford a better class of wine. But is there any such thing as decent boxed wine?

I am a Naked Wine Angel and can say if you like your red's beefy and bold and to last the night without opening another bottle then go for the Arabella range which are extra dimension wines in taste, the problem is they are so good you might go back to your old ways.

Edited by 808tone

TRL Helpdesk

Finally!  Having a Ph.D. in the flocculation of yeast comes in useful.  

THe yeast will work just as well, but will be harder to seperate from the brew, as it will not clump up as efficiently when the sugar has been used up.

Steve (is that Stephen with a 'ph'?  No, it's Steven with a PhD)

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

2013 drew to an end my jolly jaunt of seeking new food and drinks to try.

Here be the list:

sake, venison, tripe, oysters, dragonfruit, sharon fruit, snails, frogs legs, lobster, caviar, foie gras, tamarind, wild boar, rabbit, kumquat, okre, ray wing, sword fish, samphire, octopus, tamarillo, black truffle, scotch bonnet, gjetost cheese, pomelo, crickets, karela, goat, moose, kangaroo, goose, physalis, sea bream, ackee, heart, quince, crocodile, zebra, ostrich, shark, naga chilli, turbot, rosehip tea, razor clams, tinda, cassava, chicken of the woods mushroom, sloe gin.

2013 drew to an end my jolly jaunt of seeking new food and drinks to try.

Here be the list:

sake, venison, tripe, oysters, dragonfruit, sharon fruit, snails, frogs legs, lobster, caviar, foie gras, tamarind, wild boar, rabbit, kumquat, okre, ray wing, sword fish, samphire, octopus, tamarillo, black truffle, scotch bonnet, gjetost cheese, pomelo, crickets, karela, goat, moose, kangaroo, goose, physalis, sea bream, ackee, heart, quince, crocodile, zebra, ostrich, shark, naga chilli, turbot, rosehip tea, razor clams, tinda, cassava, chicken of the woods mushroom, sloe gin.

Could I trouble you for a quick description of tamarillo, pomelo, karela, tinda and cassava, as I haven't tried them yet.

I did have scorpion a couple of weeks ago. Crunchy but remarkably tasteless.

Ralph Waldo Emerson