Food and drink thread

Chippy tea from Midgeley's at west park tomorrow. They take their duty of care seriously. I once asked for two large portions of my shoes and was told I couldn't gave them and would have to settle for one large and one small, so that I didn't "make myself badly". I respectfully disagreed but accepted her judgement. It was like bar staff refusing to serve a drunk

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Chippy tea from Midgeley's at west park tomorrow. They take their duty of care seriously. I once asked for two large portions of my shoes and was told I couldn't gave them and would have to settle for one large and one small, so that I didn't "make myself badly". I respectfully disagreed but accepted her judgement. It was like bar staff refusing to serve a drunk

Loafers?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

• 2 weeks later...

It's Christmas Day and I'm just enjoying my traditional G&T. I've gone for Tanquery ( export strength) and Fever Tree tonic this year.

Now it wouldn't be Christmas without a good argument and if you want a good argument this is the very place.

So....

How do you make the perfect Dry Martini?

Shaken or stirred?

What ratio?

Olive, olive brine or lemon?

Any other hints to achieve perfection?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

We had a glass of this before ploughing into the turkey and stuff. Very very tasty and suitably festive.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's Christmas Day and I'm just enjoying my traditional G&T. I've gone for Tanquery ( export strength) and Fever Tree tonic this year.

Now it wouldn't be Christmas without a good argument and if you want a good argument this is the very place.

So....

How do you make the perfect Dry Martini?

Shaken or stirred?

What ratio?

Olive, olive brine or lemon?

Any other hints to achieve perfection?

Entering tricky terrain here. A martini, the strength thereof and the frequency of their consumption is between a man and his conscience. But here's what life has given me so far:

If making with vodka, get everything as cold as possible. Glasses and vermouth in the fridge; vodka in the freezer. Shake with ice - a twist of burnt lemon peel is acceptable, but olives and the rest are an affectation to be avoided in a vodka martina.

If making with gin, chill (but do not freeze) the gin. Stir with fridge-cold vermouth, without the ice. An olive is acceptable in a gin martini.

With vodka, go for a white vermouth.

With gin, go for an extra dry vermouth.

If you're trying to impress, then for me something like 1 part vermouth to 5 parts spirit is about right.

If you're *really* trying to impress, then just wave the vermouth bottle in the general direction of the drinks mixer.

TWO is the optimum number of martinis per person, per session.

Hic.

Edited by Stevo

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

• 3 weeks later...

Currenlty just starting to bubble in the slow cooker, rabbit with prunes and mustard. Not exactly following the linked recipe, but pretty close.

M&S have packs of wild rabbit legs during the game season, but you have to be lucky with your timing, as it disappears from the shelves soon after it's been put there. Sainsbury had Agen prunes, pre-soaked in Armagnac, so that's stage I didn't have to do at home. The rest of the ingredients are easy to find. I decided to use cider instead of white wine this time.

You can use chicken instead of rabbit, but it isn't quite as good. Still rich and tasty, though.

Serve with rice or lentils.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

I have some pork fillet (tenderloin) in the slow cooker that has been marinaded in olive oil, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic and ground cumin.

Browned in a frying pan with an oil/butter mix then put in a roasting bag to cook in its own juices.

I bought more meat than I need for tonight's meal, as cold-cuts of pork with English mustard in a sandwich is one of the great treats of life.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Christmas present last week.... A talk thru all the brewdog range with beers charcuterie and cheese for me n the boy!

To say they originally aimed brewdog at the younger generation made me chuckle... They failed miserably in that respect.

Fabulous afternoon with great beers.

Whilst it wasn't available I have tried brewdog's 'tactical nuclear penguin ' before in Glasgow..... I eventually got my sight back

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

For visitors down to the Catalan Dragons who are staying a little bit longer, or travelling via Carcassonne / Toulouse airports, and like a bit of a slurp

http://www.brasserieduquercorb.com/

No idea what it tastes like as its unpasteurised state means that I can't drink it   :( but the whole concept looks tremendous.

• 2 weeks later...

Coffee and spice rubbed brisket in the slow cooker, and already smelling great!

I'll be having Hasselback potatoes with them, plus marrowfat peas.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last night I went for a pave steak (can't work out how to do accents), served a point, with chips and petit pois.

I also made a rather lovely red wine, onion and smoked lardons gravy to go with it.

Same again tonight!

Tripe and onions Last night, faggots and peas with onion gravy tonight.

All from my daughters local butcher in Ibstock Leicetersbhire. It's also the butchers that Hollywood star Stephen Graham uses.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Cassoulet recently.Good old french recipe keith floyd did. GOOD SAUSAGE CHICKEN THIGHS SMOKED HAM CARROTS TOMATOES CELERY STOCK CHILLI whatever .Great one pot meal. Oh dont forget the crunchy bread for the lovely juices/

Oh forgot the chick peas and the butter beans and cannelini beans.From a tin of course.

Edited by tomdooley

Chick peas? Chicken? Tomatoes? Keith must have been seriously hammered when he wrote this.

Here's a reasonably authentic recipe: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/anthony-bourdain/articles/cassoulet

It says three days, but if you buy pre-soaked white beans (i.e. canned), that's a day cut out already. You can also buy tins of confit duck legs - another day less, so now we are down to a normal recipe timescale.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cassoulet recently.Good old french recipe keith floyd did. GOOD SAUSAGE CHICKEN THIGHS SMOKED HAM CARROTS TOMATOES CELERY STOCK CHILLI whatever .Great one pot meal. Oh dont forget the crunchy bread for the lovely juices/

Oh forgot the chick peas.

That's NOT a cassoulet.

Got some big beef short ribs for tomorrow - I will be applying a spice rub tonight and letting it marinate.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chick peas? Chicken? Tomatoes? Keith must have been seriously hammered when he wrote this.

Here's a reasonably authentic recipe: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/anthony-bourdain/articles/cassoulet

It says three days, but if you buy pre-soaked white beans (i.e. canned), that's a day cut out already. You can also buy tins of confit duck legs - another day less, so now we are down to a normal recipe timescale.

Sorry my cook tells me it is from the hairy bikers book!!

Here is floyds recipe

1kg  belly pork

6 pieces preserved goose or duck

750gms dried white haricot beans  {soaked in water overnight}

10 cloves garlic

1 bayleaf,thyme,and 1pinch powdered cloves

4 tomatoes peeled deseeded and chopped

1 tablespoon tomatoe puree

4 lightly cured top quality pork sausages

750gms toulouse or similar smoked sausage

This is from Floyd on France!!

Are all you chefs out there happy with this?

The hairy bikers is very good .Try it.

Edited by tomdooley

Sorry my cook tells me it is from the hairy bikers book!!

It is from their diet book - essentially a bowdlerised 'lite' chicken stew.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is from their diet book - essentially a bowdlerised 'lite' chicken stew.

have you ever eaten it?Try it then tell me its not tasty .Are you being a food snob?

have you ever eaten it?Try it then tell me its not tasty .Are you being a food snob?

I think Futtocks knows his food. I find my stomach rumbling at the mere thought of some of his meal descriptions. If he ever starts an open kitchen with the folk from TRL invited for dinner I am straight on the train.

There's being a food snob and there's being someone who knows a lot about authentic good quality food. 

I'm not saying it's bad - in fact it looks very tasty, and in my experience the Bikers are a good source of recipes.

But it just isn't a Cassoulet.

Ralph Waldo Emerson