Food and drink thread

I have some lamb neck marinating for tomorrow, in olive oil, smoked paprika, oregano and garlic. Should be good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On the Rant thread, Bleep mentioned eating black pudding at St.Helens and liking it. I have a question but didn't want to derail the other thread, so here it is.

Bleep didn't mention how his black pudding had been cooked. Today, it seems that the default method for this delicacy is frying slices of the long, cylindrical stuff wrapped in plastic (edit: remove the plastic before frying). However, when I was young, my mum used to buy it in a real skin, tied in 'horseshoe' shape. She would boil it for about 5 minutes and serve it for tea with lots of pepper, bread and butter and a large cup of tea. When I first came across fried black pudding, I was quite taken aback.

Does anyone else do boiled black pudding?

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

On the Rant thread, Bleep mentioned eating black pudding at St.Helens and liking it. I have a question but didn't want to derail the other thread, so here it is.

Bleep didn't mention how his black pudding had been cooked. Today, it seems that the default method for this delicacy is frying slices of the long, cylindrical stuff wrapped in plastic (edit: remove the plastic before frying). However, when I was young, my mum used to buy it in a real skin, tied in 'horseshoe' shape. She would boil it for about 5 minutes and serve it for tea with lots of pepper, bread and butter and a large cup of tea. When I first came across fried black pudding, I was quite taken aback.

Sometimes I include pieces of black pudding (or its Spanish cousin, morcilla*) in a stew. I've never boiled it whole on its own, but I have heard of it being done 

*There are different types, but I prefer the one with rice in the mix. It often also contains onion and a little paprika.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I've always had it fried for breakfast but a bloke I worked with years back used to boil it. He was from near Bury and claimed that boiled was the traditional way of eating it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

I've always had it fried for breakfast but a bloke I worked with years back used to boil it. He was from near Bury and claimed that boiled was the traditional way of eating it.

I lived in North Manchester as a boy, so Bury was just up the road. Maybe it was a local thing.

Thanks to you and Futtocks for the replies.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Performance Kitchen - Recipes from sportspeople, including RL players. Here's an example:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A marinade, loosely based on Korean BBQ flavours, used in this case for pork shoulder.
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
½ tbsp minced fresh ginger root
2 tbsp chopped spring onions
1 dried chipotle chilli
salt
pepper

The pork was marinated overnight, then cooked in a slow cooker with shallots, garlic, tomato paste and white wine.

Turned out nice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Shanghai-style braised pork - based loosely on this recipe: http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/04/shanghai-style-braised-pork-belly/

To the ingredients listed in that recipe, I added a piece of cassia bark and half a star anise.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Since the imposition of "the diet" (I've lost a stone since Xmas)  my choices are a bit restricted, but one thing I've come to really like is mackerel fillets, fried in the one cal. spray oil.  Really tasty. I'm having them for lunch today.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Since the imposition of "the diet" (I've lost a stone since Xmas)  my choices are a bit restricted, but one thing I've come to really like is mackerel fillets, fried in the one cal. spray oil.  Really tasty. I'm having them for lunch today.

I once grilled mackerel over a wood fire - the flavour of the fish and the smoke was amazing! I also reserved two of the cooked fish to make a paté, which also worked really well.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Used the 'easy but impressive' section of BBC Good Food to make this yesterday.

Accurate on both counts.  Very easy and very tasty.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've been one to eats bacon every morning. Good bacon on good bread is probably what I would ask for as my choice of last meal on earth.

However, not so surprisingly I'm enjoying substituting bacon with kippers on occasion has been wonderful. Good smokey kippers with a poached egg.... top breaky

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I've been one to eats bacon every morning. Good bacon on good bread is probably what I would ask for as my choice of last meal on earth.

However, not so surprisingly I'm enjoying substituting bacon with kippers on occasion has been wonderful. Good smokey kippers with a poached egg.... top breaky

We had a family holiday in Northumbria years ago, and stayed at a farm B&B near Craster. Quite apart from the home-cured bacon, freshly-picked wild mushrooms and duck eggs that the farm itself provided, Craster kippers are among the best you'll find anywhere. Our breakfasts were amazing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ostrich curry, based loosely on this recipe.

Not bad at all, and you could do it with other meat. I just spotted ostrich steaks in Lidl the other day and made an impulse buy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Just eaten a large portion of Mrs Moose's rhubarb crumble, it is the food of gods.?

I was in hospital once and the food was abysmal. But, one day the pudding was rhubarb and ginger crumble. Perhaps it was because I was so hungry but I csnnot ever remember tasting anything as good.

I have a rhubarb clump in  the garden  and one of these days.......

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Rhubarb and ginger is a great combination. Under crumble, that's another level of pleasure altogether.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Experimenting, of fashion, with my own pizza toppings. Started with Parma ham and rocket. Moved on to Milano Salami and now thinly sliced Chorizo.

It makes you realise that less is more when it comes to pizza toppings.

Chorizo, when it starts crisping at the edges and dripping that tasty red red oil onto the rest of the pizza?

That's gold!

306305-the-footy-show.jpg

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, longboard said:

Home grown?

I'm fortunate enough to live within the rhubarb triangle (Rothwell, Morley and Wakefield) so no need to grow it myself, there's plenty of farm shops in the area.

When I was a youngster rhubarb was usually called tuskie/tusky, is this a regional word or is used elsewhere?

48 minutes ago, Moose said:

I'm fortunate enough to live within the rhubarb triangle (Rothwell, Morley and Wakefield) so no need to grow it myself, there's plenty of farm shops in the area.

When I was a youngster rhubarb was usually called tuskie/tusky, is this a regional word or is used elsewhere?

I think it's a regional thing.

I grow my own - rhubarb that is. Nothing better than the Yorkshire climate for it. It's quite easy to force it. I came cross a shop locally selling early Dutch rhubarb a few weeks ago. Outrageous when we are so close to the triangle...

• Like 1