Food and drink thread

10 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Experimenting, of fashion, with my own pizza toppings. Started with Parma ham and rocket. Moved on to Milano Salami and now thinly sliced Chorizo.

It makes you realise that less is more when it comes to pizza toppings.

In California, I would make a very popular pizza of potato, olive oil and rosemary. No tomato or cheese. It worked thanks to really good olive oil, harder to get here. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I love most things about Yorkshire, but I draw the line at rhubarb.

I remember the crushing disappointment of once being given a pink and yellow chewy sweet to eat. I popped it into my mouth but, Instead of the expected yummy fruit salad, I got the truly horrible rhubarb and custard.

#crimeagainsthumanity

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

You raise a very good point, good olive oil is almost impossible to get in UK supermarkets.

I have been clarifying butter since getting back.  Which is rather old school.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I love most things about Yorkshire, but I draw the line at rhubarb.

I remember the crushing disappointment of once being given a pink and yellow chewy sweet to eat. I popped it into my mouth but, Instead of the expected yummy fruit salad, I got the truly horrible rhubarb and custard.

#crimeagainsthumanity

I wouldn't expect a Welshman to have the discerning palate necessary to appreciate the delicate taste of forced rhubarb. ?

Mrs Moose makes it with an oat topping. Yesterday's masterpiece was served with fresh raspberries and single cream, no custard.

5 hours ago, longboard said:

I think it's a regional thing.

I grow my own - rhubarb that is. Nothing better than the Yorkshire climate for it. It's quite easy to force it. I came cross a shop locally selling early Dutch rhubarb a few weeks ago. Outrageous when we are so close to the triangle...

Dutch rhubarb, another reason to exit the EU, get it taxed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see Sainsbury's have started employing heavy drinkers in their product concept department...

465288.jpg?v=1

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 12/04/2017 at 10:08 AM, getdownmonkeyman said:

You raise a very good point, good olive oil is almost impossible to get in UK supermarkets.

Then you have to source good deli's, even here in Hastings we have a few really good regional shops, sourcing good Asian and European food - for now, until the Brexit Nazis close the borders to imported food then we're all back to egg & chips, and chip shop curry as exotic.

I hope all of you who voted for brexit are happy with your insular selves.

Edited by Bleep1673

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

The memsahib's meight n taity pie n mushy peyz for tea...... #foodhero

Any chance of her recipe or is she a bit of an instinct cook?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

She just gets the best she can get. 

Lightly flour beef. Fry off and then in same pan fry off onions n carrots. Degalze pan and braise beef onions n carrotts in Half brown beer, half good beef stock made from bones from butcher. Add salt pepper and thyme n bay leaves from garden.

Add Half inch cubed taities  cooked 10 mins...

Pastry..... she uses half butter n half poncey italian lard she gets from butcher.... it really does make a difference.... crunchy n crisp.

Mushy peyz.... only steeped peyz will do...

Jeez I'm stuffed. Sometimes the simple stuff done well is just perfect

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

From the 1972 cookbook, Be Bold with Bananas.

%E2%80%9CDrip-mayonnaise-down-the-sides-

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Aunt's soda bread:

2 large tbsp plain flour,

5   “       “     brown (wheaten) flour

1   “       “     bran

1  ditto         wheat germ

1   ditto        pinhead oatmeal (not porridge and this is an optional extra)

1 heaped teaspoon bread (baking) soda

pinch of salt

buttermilk as required

Optional extras which make it a richer and softer mix:  any of: 1 oz. butter(rubbed into dry ingredients, an egg mixed with the milk or some cream if you have leftovers.

The above quantity makes a fairly small loaf.

Method :  mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and filter through the fingers to aerate.  mix in enough buttermilk to moisten well. Then either put mix into a loaf tin (greased or lined) or a small round tin or if you have no tins you could turn the mix out onto a floured board and shape into a round and place on a baking tray or any flat (oven proof) surface.  It is traditional to cut a cross on the top if making a round loaf – for even baking and also to let out the fairies!!!

Bake for approximately 30 minutes in a hot oven  400f/200c/gas6.  The base should sound hollow when rapped with the knuckles if baked through. Cool on wire rack and use fresh.

I find it keeps ok for 2 or 3 days (especially if you have added any of the optional extras.  It freezes and defrosts in microwave very well.  I make the recipe x 3 and bake in two 8” round tins.

• 2 weeks later...

After over a decade since the much-loved Oriental City in NW London (not far from the Broncos' last home), a successor will be opening in less than a month! B)

http://www.bangbangoriental.com/

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Taken to baking my own bread and making my own butter. It's a very satisfying and therapeutic activity.

It is suggested I've become quite good at it.... which pleases me no end.

I went through a fairly intensive bread-baking phase a few years ago, and I can't really think why I stopped. Regular loaves, buns and flatbreads, I made a lot and experimented quite a bit too.

I still make the occasional loaf of soda bread, but that's it. Maybe I've become too impatient...

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's what I'm enjoying. I like experimenting...

The butter is great with salt flakes.....

I made some garlic n parsley butter too... 

I had a thought about the subject, then Googled to see if anyone had tried it out... and they have: http://dextercattle.proboards.com/thread/2962

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 4/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, Moose said:

Just eaten a large portion of Mrs Moose's rhubarb crumble, it is the food of gods.?

Hey Moose:  This baby was caught on camera a week ago camping in the Northern Bush of Ontario,Canada.

Now thats food: I've had moose, caribou, all venison, musk ox, elk (which is the best of it all grilled), bear.etc. etc.

Well you get the idea...hope you love the photo!!!!!!!!!!

DSC_0021.jpg

38 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey Moose:  This baby was caught on camera a week ago camping in the Northern Bush of Ontario,Canada.

Now thats food: I've had moose, caribou, all venison, musk ox, elk (which is the best of it all grilled), bear.etc. etc.

I've had moose salami, thanks to a friend who brought it back from somewhere Scandinavian, and it was very tasty.

I've also had crocodile, zebra, wildebeeste etc. from a company called Osgrow. You have to cook the zebra steaks on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes, after all. :wink:

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I've had moose salami, thanks to a friend who brought it back from somewhere Scandinavian, and it was very tasty.

I've also had crocodile, zebra, wildebeeste etc. from a company called Osgrow. You have to cook the zebra steaks on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes, after all. :wink:

Yes the moose summer sausage (that is what we call it) is good...they mix in some pork and spices or it is too dry.  The best moose to eat is a calf, there are numerous steaks and roasts cut from it.

I've eaten Croc and, like alligator, it takes on the flavour of its food...meat base tastes like beef...fish base taste likes fish...also chicken flavour...I thought that was neat!

Never had Zebra but eaten lots of horse (steaks and burger meat)...had water buffalo and of course, one of the best steaks of all, American Buffalo!

Pretty well everything is wild (e.g.Wild Boar is good but gamey unless prepared properly)

Love the wild eggs especially fresh gull eggs and pheasant eggs; have eaten many different species of wild ducks/eggs and had  Emu eggs but the best of all, the very, very  best is the egg of the Peacock!

Eaten many many other foods;probably one of the craziest was pickled lambs eyes, which upon being bitten into, explodes in a cascade of flavours in the mouth...shocking!  Eaten bulls testicals and pickled rams testicles (tasty)

Many small rodents have ended up in my belly including squirrels (blacks and greys) and chipmunks.

Collect and harvest all my own nuts (mainly black walnuts and white walnuts (butternuts)....lots and lots of other things!

Know many, many of the wild plants.

I humbly put it to you that when most people walk in the woods it is relaxing...to me it is ALWAYS a trip to the supermarket!

"Run With The Pack!"

Edited by Kayakman
typo

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

DSC_0021.jpg

Love the photo kayakman, didn't know that moose went camping.☺

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, zebra without stripes would be crossing the line.

• Like 1