Food and drink thread

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Yes the moose summer sausage (that is what we call it) is good...they mix in some pork and spices or it is too dry.  The best moose to eat is a calf, there are numerous steaks and roasts cut from it.

I've eaten Croc and, like alligator, it takes on the flavour of its food...meat base tastes like beef...fish base taste likes fish...also chicken flavour...I thought that was neat!

Never had Zebra but eaten lots of horse (steaks and burger meat)...had water buffalo and of course, one of the best steaks of all, American Buffalo!

Pretty well everything is wild (e.g.Wild Boar is good but gamey unless prepared properly)

Love the wild eggs especially fresh gull eggs and pheasant eggs; have eaten many different species of wild ducks/eggs and had  Emu eggs but the best of all, the very, very  best is the egg of the Peacock!

Eaten many many other foods;probably one of the craziest was pickled lambs eyes, which upon being bitten into, explodes in a cascade of flavours in the mouth...shocking!  Eaten bulls testicals and pickled rams testicles (tasty)

Many small rodents have ended up in my belly including squirrels (blacks and greys) and chipmunks.

Collect and harvest all my own nuts (mainly black walnuts and white walnuts (butternuts)....lots and lots of other things!

Know many, many of the wild plants.

I humbly put it to you that when most people walk in the woods it is relaxing...to me it is ALWAYS a trip to the supermarket!

"Run With The Pack!"

Do you harvest hemp Kayakman?

Just now, longboard said:

Don't need too...(there are already many doing doing it over here especially in BC)!

Will be legal in Canada in a year...they proposefour (4  plants per household)some people are concerned but as if it isn't here already: willful blindness.

The interesting thing will be to see how the visiting English fans take to it (and if the numbers of visiting fans actually goes up?); it certainly will add to the 'Toronto' experience!

I'm told, by a reliable source, that if the Wigan women start smoking 'it' there won't be one 'pot' pie left in the country let alone the city!

And yes, I have harvested real ocean hemp, dried it, eaten it: can't say I was a huge fan.

Just now, longboard said:

Just now, Moose said:

Mrs Moose is very partial to a serving of moose sausage, summer, autumn, winter or spring. ?

Just now, Futtocks said:

I've had moose salami, thanks to a friend who brought it back from somewhere Scandinavian, and it was very tasty.

I've also had crocodile, zebra, wildebeeste etc. from a company called Osgrow. You have to cook the zebra steaks on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes, after all. :wink:

There are lots of people eating exotic food on this thread but remember one  thing and never forget it: GODS OWN TRUTH!

Amongst the ancient Cree people there is a saying...and you ignore it at YOUR PERIL.

It goes like this:

Recipe for Loon Soup: "DO NOT EAT LOON SOUP!"

Then after you say this to the person you pretend to slap them in the face and then repeat it...usually ends of with people grabbing each other hands as you try to playslap the other person in a joyful way...ends up in alot of laughter...BUT IS A VERY SERIOUS WARNING!

Ignore it at your own peril; this saying is thousands of years old!

If you ever try loon soup you are a true fool.

Edited by Kayakman
typo

Recipe for Cormorant, from 'The Countryman's Cookbook' by W.M.W.Fowler. A very entertaining book, which also contains real, practical advice.

First, shoot your cormorant. Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home... these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific.

Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who, if you are in the right area, will give you 3/6d or sometimes 5/- for it. Bury the carcass, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish.

Dig up, skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48 hours.

Remove, dry, and stuff with whole, unpeeled onions... the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater - to which two tbsp of chloride of lime have been added - for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry. Meanwhile, mix up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally, roast in a very hot oven for three hours.

The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Recipe for Cormorant, from 'The Countryman's Cookbook' by W.M.W.Fowler. A very entertaining book, which also contains real, practical advice.

First, shoot your cormorant. Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home... these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific.

Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who, if you are in the right area, will give you 3/6d or sometimes 5/- for it. Bury the carcass, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish.

Dig up, skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48 hours.

Remove, dry, and stuff with whole, unpeeled onions... the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater - to which two tbsp of chloride of lime have been added - for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry. Meanwhile, mix up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally, roast in a very hot oven for three hours.

The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

I encounter these foul birds (double breasted species}  often...when I'm near their nesting sites they dive bomb me in the boat and actually try to poop on me...they are pretty accurate too!.  What a squak they make at the nesting sites when I come through...their excrement is highly toxic and kills all the vegetation...I'm currently monitoring two previously 'dead zones'; they are regenerating though; I can verify that their carcasses do stink; really foul.  Don't want them near the campsite on the Islands or they will foul the drinking water!

NOT AS BAD AS LOON SOUP THOUGH!

Oh Ya...and the endless hunger of their guts puts the local fishing clubs stocking program way back...they literally sit at the mouth of the creeks when we put the fingerlings in. PIGS!

Edited by Kayakman
addition

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I encounter these foul birds (double breasted species}  often...when I'm near their nesting sites they dive bomb me in the boat and actually try to poop on me...they are pretty accurate too!.  What a squak they make at the nesting sites when I come through...their excrement is highly toxic and kills all the vegetation...I'm currently monitoring two previously 'dead zones'; they are regenerating though; I can verify that their carcasses do stink; really foul.  Don't want them near the campsite on the Islands or they will foul the drinking water!

NOT AS BAD AS LOON SOUP THOUGH!

Oh Ya...and the endless hunger of their guts puts the local fishing clubs stocking program way back...they literally sit at the mouth of the creeks when we put the fingerlings in. PIGS!

In real life, William Fowler did (as a prisoner of war) cook and eat his Camp Kommandant's cat with a black-market onion. Much of the advice in the book is more mainstream, including cultivating the affections of young ladies who can make good pastry. "Don't kiss her 'til she's finished rolling out the dough".

A smooth-talking old fox - the BBC audiobook was read, appropriately, by Leslie Phillips.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Didn't he do a similar recipe for rabbit, which involved setting it on fire using petrol before discarding it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In real life, William Fowler did (as a prisoner of war) cook and eat his Camp Kommandant's cat with a black-market onion. Much of the advice in the book is more mainstream, including cultivating the affections of young ladies who can make good pastry. "Don't kiss her 'til she's finished rolling out the dough".

A smooth-talking old fox - the BBC audiobook was read, appropriately, by Leslie Phillips.

Sounds like a good book and a man who knows his business!  Since I've joined the website it seems the words 'pastry' and 'dough' are constantly used in terms of the infamous 'Wigan Woman' and something to do with them making/eating pot pies and wanting the weiner from the hot dog gun man the TWP games...is it true what they say about the 'Wigan Woman"?

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In real life, William Fowler did (as a prisoner of war) cook and eat his Camp Kommandant's cat with a black-market onion.

Cat is stringy, like old goat, so is only good in stew cooked for a long time...make sure you have dental floss on hand...also in addition to the onion, wild leeks and carrots make for a nice gravy too!

Note: The finest chunk of meat kiilled and gutted is porcupine if you attach it to a stick and char over an open fire...tough to clean though....flesh is pinky and so tender...literallly melts in your mouth like candy flosss...delicious: "I love all animals...they're delicious!"

4 minutes ago, longboard said:

Avoid herring gull. The taste is like a combination of rotten fish and dung .

I bet those eggs are good though....ever try 'em Longboarder (what kind of longboard do you actually use?)

10 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I bet those eggs are good though....ever try 'em Longboarder (what kind of longboard do you actually use?)

No eggs for me. herring gulls don't really nest where I live in the hills.

9'6" Nigel Semmens. Body a bit too knackered to standup surf currently. I can manage a bit of kayaking though time permitting.

42 minutes ago, longboard said:

9'6" Nigel Semmens. Body a bit too knackered to standup surf currently. I can manage a bit of kayaking though time permitting.

Something to aim for...

Duke-Kahanamoku-circa-1920-at-the-height

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, longboard said:

No eggs for me. herring gulls don't really nest where I live in the hills.

How much surfing do you do in the kayak...I would be interested to know since i do quite a bit.

Edited by Kayakman

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

After over a decade since the much-loved Oriental City in NW London (not far from the Broncos' last home), a successor will be opening in less than a month! B)

http://www.bangbangoriental.com/

I use to frequent Oriental City a lot...bought my first rice cooker there ..would also indulge in eating  sugar toast which was one of my favourite treats..or go to one of  the restaurants there to eat either deep fried octopus balls or eat Okonomiyaki ,which is sort of a Japanese pizza. However always felt Oriental city was never as good as its predecessor , the Yaohan Centre especially the large supermarket Now I shop at Atariya nowhere near as big but decent food. 

23 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Taken to baking my own bread and making my own butter. It's a very satisfying and therapeutic activity.

It is suggested I've become quite good at it.... which pleases me no end.

I  don't make my own butter but local farm shop has truffle butter which i  love ..very good with beef ..smells a bit like old socks though. :) 

7 minutes ago, TheSnowmonkey said:

I  don't make my own butter but local farm shop has truffle butter which i  love ..very good with beef ..smells a bit like old socks though. :) 

I'm off to the dordogne in 3 weeks. I'm hoping to bring a truffle back for exactly that purpose?

• Like 1

Just now, Robin Evans said:

I'm off to the dordogne in 3 weeks. I'm hoping to bring a truffle back for exactly that purpose?

I envy you..in which case..when you return ..get hold of a rib of  dexter shorthorn ..or   red pole  that has preferably been matured /hung for long time ( over the maximum a butcher will do if you ask) .First tenderise each side n fat , then..rub truffle butter in..along with vanilla seeds,  ground almond.leave in fridge over night...cook very slowly add red wine after an hr of cooking....serve with Yorkshire pudding made with Black sheep beer...potatoes roasted in goose fat.  .. delicious ...truffle butter also goes well with game stock...am cooking pork slowly in it..added rhubarb n vanilla jam plus a spoonful of mustard.  Yummy. :) 

35 minutes ago, TheSnowmonkey said:

I use to frequent Oriental City a lot...bought my first rice cooker there ..would also indulge in eating  sugar toast which was one of my favourite treats..or go to one of  the restaurants there to eat either deep fried octopus balls or eat Okonomiyaki ,which is sort of a Japanese pizza. However always felt Oriental city was never as good as its predecessor , the Yaohan Centre especially the large supermarket Now I shop at Atariya nowhere near as big but decent food. 

I first went to the place when it was Yaohan Plaza and I sort of preferred the slightly shabbier, independent feel of Oriental City. For Asian shopping needs, I already have a Wing Yip supermarket and several smaller independent shops locally.

But a weekend trip to the YP or OC was always a treat. I wonder if any of the former traders will return?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the way, if you look for the Bang Bang Oriental hashtag @BANGBANGOFH they are posting details of the food stalls they have signed up so far.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I first went to the place when it was Yaohan Plaza and I sort of preferred the slightly shabbier, independent feel of Oriental City. For Asian shopping needs, I already have a Wing Yip supermarket and several smaller independent shops locally.

But a weekend trip to the YP or OC was always a treat. I wonder if any of the former traders will return?

I first went there as my ex introduced  me to it...the main supermarket use to be more Japanese orientated ..but when the Yaohan went bust ,it  was more diverse though for me quality dropped. When we returned from Japan,  we went to Oriental City , I would often buy nostalgia stuff . Though she reminded me in Japan I hated the stuff. Other reason she liked going there use to be a small second hand Japanese book shop near by...we always visited it but as I recall she never bought anything.  

I doubt I will go to the new centre as I no longer  as don't live in London anymore or travel there....If I want to make sushi..there is an Atari ya near me..only place where I would trust using the fish..owner  use to give me tips on making it too..but even there don't get chance to go these days. :) 

• 1 month later...

Full opening tomorrow, but some stalls already doing business.

DEEBVkbXoAAl5ER.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I roasted a nice looking joint of beef today. It was damn tough. I don't know what I did wrong. I take a great deal of pride in my cooking and felt nothing short of humiliated. What might I have done wrong?