Food and drink thread

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I roasted a nice looking joint of beef today. It was damn tough. I don't know what I did wrong. I take a great deal of pride in my cooking and felt nothing short of humiliated. What might I have done wrong? 

Could be any number of reasons from temperature of oven..how long you cooked it, whether you basted it during cooking, did you rest it for at least 15mins after cooking...also what cut of meat did you use ? 

Given the price of a decent joint of meat these days, I get more and more anxious about botching a roast.

I have a meat thermometer and have, sometimes, roasted a joint at very low temperatures, trying to get the internal temperature to 55-60 degrees centigrade and hold it there for at least a hour. That's a good roast, but it doesn't produce a lot of juice for gravy, as nearly all the liquid's sealed inside the joint. When you carve it, though, those juices come out...

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To be honest I've got out of the habit of roasting beef in the normal way. I tend to pot roast it these days. You can't really go wrong. I just thought I'd get more flavour by doing it the 'normal' way. I'm seeing my mam tomorrow she still does fabulous roasts and she's 91. A debrief is in order

Edited by Tongs ya bas

15 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

To be honest I've got out of the habit of roasting beef in the normal way. I tend to pot roast it these days. You can't really go wrong. I just thought I'd get more flavour by doing it the 'normal' way. I'm seeing my mam tomorrow she still does fabulous roasts and she's 91. A debrief is in order

A slow cooker is a great thing for meat. I have just bought an ox cheek from Morrison's to cook tomorrow. Very cheap (this one was £1.30) and extremely tasty when given enough time. I tend to cook them in a roasting bag, which also doubles as the container for the overnight marinade. The meat comes out looking almost black on the outside, but so tender that you barely need a knife.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A slow cooker is a great thing for meat. I have just bought an ox cheek from Morrison's to cook tomorrow. Very cheap (this one was £1.30) and extremely tasty when given enough time. I tend to cook them in a roasting bag, which also doubles as the container for the overnight marinade. The meat comes out looking almost black on the outside, but so tender that you barely need a knife.

Yes. I use mine a lot. I would have used it for this normally

Banh Mi for lunch yesterday, on my first visit to Bang Bang Oriental. A half-length baguette, filled with pork pate, roast pork belly, ham, coriander, pickled daikon & carrot, mayonnaise, sriracha (garlic & chilli) sauce... and probably a few other things too.

A bit messy to eat, but delicious.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Korean barbecue spare ribs, to accompany a evening of athletics on TV. Beer and wine to hand, as necessary.

Life ain't so bad...

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Futtocks' bang bang Chinese place gets a good write up by Jay Rayner in today's Observer. I'm a bit of a Rayner groupie

My sister went to one of Jay's live shows, and said he was very good at that too. However, I really love the reviews when he went somewhere wildly expensive and hated it, like Le Cinq or Beast.

He's a pretty decent jazz pianist, too.

Give some of the early teething troubles at Bang Bang Oriental, I was looking forward to his review of it, while also hoping he didn't go there too early. Looks like he got it right.

The place is only a few miles from Wembley, so anyone interested could make a visit part of their Cup Final weekend.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My sister went to one of Jay's live shows, and said he was very good at that too. However, I really love the reviews when he went somewhere wildly expensive and hated it, like Le Cinq or Beast.

He's a pretty decent jazz pianist, too.

Give some of the early teething troubles at Bang Bang Oriental, I was looking forward to his review of it, while also hoping he didn't go there too early. Looks like he got it right.

The place is only a few miles from Wembley, so anyone interested could make a visit part of their Cup Final weekend.

He paints a neat little portrait of the gaff's environs. As for those reviews, he did a classic take down of one of the places you describe not so long ago.

14 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

He paints a neat little portrait of the gaff's environs. As for those reviews, he did a classic take down of one of the places you describe not so long ago.

Given that he's a Remainer, his review of Le Cinq may have done more to sour Anglo-French relations than most of Mr Farridge's lies. But, by God, it is very funny skewering of an hilariously out-of-touch mug-trap for old farts and their "nieces".

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/09/le-cinq-paris-restaurant-review-jay-rayner

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I should start contributing to this bad boy.

I had some lovely Indonesian chicken last night - proper crispy skin and a sauce that reminded me of beef mckoys. Smashing.

Booked in for Gaggan (Indian and Japanese in Bangkok) and l'enclume in next 2 months. 

Moist in anticipation.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

11 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I had some lovely Indonesian chicken last night - proper crispy skin and a sauce that reminded me of beef mckoys. Smashing.

Booked in for Gaggan (Indian and Japanese in Bangkok) and l'enclume in next 2 months. 

Moist in anticipation.

L'Enclume? Nice!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 07/08/2017 at 5:15 AM, MattSantos said:

Moist in anticipation.

We went to Gaggan on our honeymoon 2 years ago. One of the best experiences of my life. Mind blowing.

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We went to Gaggan on our honeymoon 2 years ago. One of the best experiences of my life. Mind blowing.

Boomatron.

I've been to Nahm a few times and really enjoyed it, so looking forward to 'stepping up' a level.

I'm not a massive fan of Bangkok, i prefer Chiang Mai but there are certainly lots of really good restaurants!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Boomatron.

I've been to Nahm a few times and really enjoyed it, so looking forward to 'stepping up' a level.

I'm not a massive fan of Bangkok, i prefer Chiang Mai but there are certainly lots of really good restaurants!

Yeah we also did Namh and loved that too. We loved Bangkok but over 4 nights we did Namh, Gaggan plus a street food tour so I think its hard not to enjoy that as a foodie!

Enjoy, very jealous.

I ate at this place for lunch today. The music was a touch loud for me, but the charcoal-grilled meat was excellent. We had chicken bulgogi and pork belly, with a shared side order of rice.

We ended up there because of the rain - if you take the right exit from Kings Cross/St Pancras, you get get there without getting wet.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson