Food and drink thread

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Bacon.... good bacon

Seaside fish n chips

These set my nose twitching.... burgers are something I rarely eat. I'm not even motivated to eating even the ones  I make....

Difficult to get good mince here, but the ready made angus burgers are wonderful. $3.50 for 1 pattie is good value too.

Cooking on a lotus grill at the moment, want a weber if i move to a bigger balcony next year.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 09/08/2017 at 7:05 PM, Robin Evans said:

Holiday gold medal winner from Bergerac 

20170809_190405.jpg

When I'm not looking for stuff I already know and love I use these medal as a rough guide and they're like God and Parky pretty infallible.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

When I'm not looking for stuff I already know and love I use these medal as a rough guide and they're like God and Parky pretty infallible.

It's a bloody good yardstick to use isn't it.

One good thing about buying from the producer is that you usually get chance to try before you buy ?

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

One good thing about buying from the producer is that you usually get chance to try before you buy

I haven't done this for a long time because I'm usually driving and once took someone very rude with me and it did not end well, when they walked out without a by your leave I was left to appologise and if I wasn't sober before I certainly was when I let that person know what I thought. God save from English snobs!

Which reminds me I think I've got some muscat sec in the fridge - magic - bag in box here I come!

Edited by Oxford

We've been going to catherine's for 25 years now. She's bloody wonderful.

Domaine de la Fontainerie, Catherine Dhoye-Déruet

64 Rue de la Vallée Coquette, 37210 Vouvray, France
+33 2 47 52 67 92

https://g.co/kgs/YTzrtc

And from guy Durard near amboise...

www.vivino.com/wineries/guy-durand/wines/touraine-amboise-soir-d-octobre-1997

I shall top up my dordogne purchases with Loire valley produce in a couple of weeks.

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I shall top up my dordogne purchases with Loire valley produce in a couple of weeks.

I should stock up Robin. It reminds of the Groucho Marx story of WC Fields attic full of booze and when Groucho said but prohibition's over, fields said "It might come back!" and Brexit and large customs duty and much less allowances are on the way!

Turbot, I made a  tin foil pyramid, and cooked whole in the oven with some lemon juice and dill, served with asparagus and new potatoes. I hardly touched the veg as the fish was pretty big.

A mate caught a few and gave one to me, I dread to think how much it would have cost in a fishmongers.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Turbot, I made a  tin foil pyramid, and cooked whole in the oven with some lemon juice and dill, served with asparagus and new potatoes. I hardly touched the veg as the fish was pretty big.

A mate caught a few and gave one to me, I dread to think how much it would have cost in a fishmongers.

Loads; they'd have turbot-charged you.

Sorry.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

They wouldn't, I'm too much of a cheap skate to buy one!

No perch-ase, eh?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've got some beef shin marinading, to go into the slow cooker later today. I'm already salivating a bit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's a thing and it costs next to nothing, and it gives you working class street cred as well

Get a cucumber. Peel it and slice it into discs.

Get an onion peel it and slice it into rings.

Put them in a bowl and mix them up.

Get some bog standard malt vinegar, no balsamic, red wine etc type vinegar allowed and I'm serious when I say that.

Put the vinegar into the bowl until it covers the onion and cucumber.

Strictly no seasoning.

You now have an accompaniment to meat hot or cold, meat on a sandwich, salad, and with pie and peas and so on. When the onion and cucumber is used up. You can replenish the vinegar by adding more onion and cucumber. Or you can use the by now onion infused vinegar on your fish and chips. 

I love this stuff and I can't walk past the bowl without snagging a slice of onion or cucumber. It reminds me of my gran.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Here's a thing and it costs next to nothing, and it gives you working class street cred as well

Get some bog standard malt vinegar, no balsamic, red wine etc type vinegar allowed and I'm serious when I say that.

Strictly no seasoning.

You now have an accompaniment to meat hot or cold, meat on a sandwich, salad, and with pie and peas and so on. When the onion and cucumber is used up. You can replenish the vinegar by adding more onion and cucumber. Or you can use the by now onion infused vinegar on your fish and chips. 

I love this stuff and I can't walk past the bowl without snagging a slice of onion or cucumber. It reminds me of my gran.

Was always a dish of this on the table at my grandma's for Sunday dinner. Top notch.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

33 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Strictly no seasoning.

That's perilously close to pickling, which is very big in metrosexual restaurants these days. ;) 

For a version of the above condiment with more of a kick, maybe you could try adding sliced radishes. Either the little red'n'white ones, or the bigger white ones like daikon/mooli.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's perilously close to pickling, which is very big in metrosexual restaurants these days. ;) 

For a version of the above condiment with more of a kick, maybe you could try adding sliced radishes. Either the little red'n'white ones, or the bigger white ones like daikon/mooli.

I knew you'd be the one.

NOOOO!!!

Will you be told.

21 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I knew you'd be the one.

NOOOO!!!

Will you be told.

Don't get your hipster beard in a twist. :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Just done some..... you set me off. A memory from another era....

Agreed with the recipe.... keep it as it is and resist getting too poncey

At the risk of being called a ##### my nan's concoction also included shredded lettuce.

It appears the word po nce is frowned upon

Edited by Moose

25 minutes ago, Moose said:

At the risk of being called a ##### my nan's concoction also included shredded lettuce.

It appears the word po nce is frowned upon

Lettuce? I'd have thought that would go soggy quite quickly.

Cabbage (red or white) would hold up better, structurally, and add more flavour/texture of its own to the mix.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson