Food and drink thread

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Just done some..... you set me off. A memory from another era....

Agreed with the recipe.... keep it as it is and resist getting too poncey

I made some last night. I've nicked half of it already.

• 4 weeks later...

The Oriental food hall up the road has finally opened its accompanying supermarket. Plenty of interesting things to eat and drink, including bamboo charcoal peanuts, which I haven't had in ages.

2014-Rushed-New-Arrival-Freeshipping-Com

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Tea.

Chicken wings.... clipped and separated.

Home made Creole seasoning rubbed in..

40 mins in oven then apply wet sauce and do another 15 mins.

Made a blue cheese dressing to serve wi celery.

Unashamedly nicked off the hairy bikers.

Got a load of chicken breast cut into chunky strips in the oven, marinated in ginger, garlic, chilli, lemon juice  coriander,  soy sauce and  honey, going to go with pita and some nice salad. Aroma permeating the gaff nicely.

A rack of pork ribs, marinated overnight in Korean Bulgogi sauce. Currently in the slow cooker and smelling good. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mister Saucisse made London sausages sizzling in the pan.  

Shoulder of pork, no added fat, rusk, water (that'll be the profit thank you very much), cracked black pepper, sea salt and sage.

I was always told not to trust a landlord who doesn't drink in his own boozer.  Never trust a food producer who doesn't gorge themselves on their own products !

I've really enjoyed reading this everyone I was feeling hungry and it made me make some comfort blast from the past .....

I think you need to get a grip though because however you sugar coat it (cooking metaphor, there) there's nothing more poncey than a discussion about cooking.:biggrin:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

People who use the word 'poncey' about cooking just don't get how much fun it is to muck about with razor-sharp blades and fire. ;) 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A question for people who think cooking is effete: how much of a man is a man who can't feed himself properly without help?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's something I find a little bit special.

After breakfast I tend to wander into the kitchen and look in the pan. I don't know why but there are always one or two bits of extra crozzled bacon residing there. I always pop them in and munch on them whilst out with the dogs. For some reason they taste better than the bacon that you'd eaten a few minutes before.

Edited by Tongs ya bas

17 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Depends how much help.

I'm most definitely a meat eater. However, if I'd to kill everything I ate, I'd be a vegetarian 

Even then, you'd be eating better than a staunchly macho type who refuses to know what to do with vegetables because his mummy always does the cooking.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A question for people who think cooking is effete: how much of a man is a man who can't feed himself properly without help?

"That wine drinking is more effete than beer drinking? No question"

Joseph Epstein

And people who cook!;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

"That wine drinking is more effete than beer drinking? No question"

Joseph Epstein

And people who cook!;)

Just another thing Epstein is wrong-headed about, then. ;) 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I bought 3 raw beetroot as they were 44p at Tesco.

Any ideas how to make them the star of a dish?

(Healthy options please)

Not a fan of beetroot, but here's a couple of ideas:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/roasted-beetroot-sour-cream-horseradish/f218dd87-fb65-4c50-a1b8-dd9363978c47

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/16/beetroot-gratin-recipe-tunisian-eggs

I have had the latter, which was a lot nicer than I expected.

Ralph Waldo Emerson