Food and drink thread

I'm kooking Korean tonight - something a bit like this, but with marinated beef instead of pork, and without the kimchi: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-pork-belly-lettuce-wraps-recipes-from-the-kitchn-202486

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Keeping it simple this evening

Nicely seasoned chicken in white wine

With mushrooms using the juices and creme fraiche in a reduction, 

And some baby new potatoes.

And to drink? 

Don't know yet, but the rest of the white wine with the food

And I'll be watching the match, and I know this is seriously uncool, with a bottle of yellow tail malbec, shared with our Martin if he shows up. I enjoy yellow tail wine, there I've said it. I'm sure there is a support group somewhere.

1 minute ago, Tongs ya bas said:

And to drink? 

And I'll be watching the match, and I know this is seriously uncool, with a bottle of yellow tail malbec, shared with our Martin if he shows up. I enjoy yellow tail wine, there I've said it. I'm sure there is a support group somewhere.

Some of the Yellow Tail reds, like the Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz, are a bit too strongly vanilla-flavoured for anything but the occasional glass. The Malbec's okay, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

And to drink? 

I've got Touraine cot..... same grape....

• Like 1

The South Americans have really taken the Malbec grape on board and made it their own.

I'm currently airing a 2014 Perez Cruz red, in preparation for tonight's match.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

It's a new addition to the range I think.

Either that, or it hasn't been on sale in the smaller shops before.

On the subject of red wine, Lidl appear to have discontinued their Californian red Zinfandel, which was one of the most outrageously good bargains around. :mad: 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I bought 3 raw beetroot as they were 44p at Tesco.

Any ideas how to make them the star of a dish?

(Healthy options please)

Some good South Indian/ Sri Lankan dishes that are essentially dry beetroot curries (some use the greens as a spinach-like ingredient).

Something like - wash, peel and slice the beets. Fine-chop a big onion, start frying it in veg oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and ground fenugreek, coriander, tumeric and hot pepper/ chili powder. Go big on the cumin seeds, coriander and mustard seeds.

When the onion is browning, add the beetroot pieces (and greens if you have them), stir around a bit then cover, turn down the heat and leave for 10 or 15 mins to cook (it kind of steams in the water from the beetroot once it is going). Stir it every so often. The beets should have a "glazed" look when they're done. Bit of salt to taste, a bit more hot pepper if you like. Plain rice and yoghurt to go with.

Tip - you can use the same recipie for cauliflower and their green bits as well.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Either that, or it hasn't been on sale in the smaller shops before.

On the subject of red wine, Lidl appear to have discontinued their Californian red Zinfandel, which was one of the most outrageously good bargains around. :mad: 

I've seen that before and avoided it because it said California on the label. How about that for prejudice.

33 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I've seen that before and avoided it because it said California on the label. How about that for prejudice.

Some countries or regions have an affinity for a certain grape - South Africa for Chenin blanc, for instance. If you get a chance to try a Californian Zinfandel, take it! Ravenswood is a good brand you can find in some supermarkets.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some countries or regions have an affinity for a certain grape - South Africa for Chenin blanc, for instance. If you get a chance to try a Californian Zinfandel, take it! Ravenswood is a good brand you can find in some supermarkets.

See... zinfandel.... and even viognier....

I don't get the fuss..... I know it's subjective n'all that... I just don't get it....

I'm open to new tastes. I'll try all sorts.... and the Argentines and Chile are producing some excellent stuff now....

I have 120 bottles or so in the cellar... and despite the above proclamation, all but one bottle is french..... which probably say more about me than the wine

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I don't get the fuss..... I know it's subjective n'all that... I just don't get it....

I'm open to new tastes. I'll try all sorts.... and the Argentines and Chile are producing some excellent stuff now....

I have 120 bottles or so in the cellar... and despite the above proclamation, all but one bottle is french..... which probably say more about me than the wine

Argentina and Chile you can't go wrong

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Argentina and Chile you can't go wrong

Argentine malbeck keeps hitting the high notes year on year. Not only do they do well in value for money, particularly at the budget end of the market, there are yards out there that have aspirations and are producing some wonderful fine wine at the top end too.

And if you like the white stuff.... the sauv blanc the Chileans are turning out is similarly getting some good reviews across all ranges.

Though to be fair, I do like a good kiwi sauv blanc

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I love a good Viognier too, although finding one in most shops is hard, with the white shelves usually crowded out with Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc and Pinot grigio.

If you like new/different tastes, get hold of a bottle of Chateau Musar. Given time to breathe, it is a cracker!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

How come you topers never review Buckfast?

To be honest I was a barchester freak when I lived up there, with the odd foray into lanliq. Buckfast tasted a bit too metallic for my palate.

Edited by Tongs ya bas

Some stories from Scotland.

Helen Mirren went into a pub and asked " what wines have you got please" ......."red and white" was the answer.

Overheard in a pub

"Whisky please"

It came with ice.  "I never asked for ice"...."ach its only frozen water, itll dae ya no harm" ......." tell that to the Captain o' the Titanic"

In a restaurant  " can I have some tomato sauce ?...." No we only have red or broon".

At a fancy dinner the new waiter was offering wine to the guests..... " red or clear"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Trying out an experiment tonight - a quarter-bottle of dark rum (just supermarket own brand), partially emptied (such hardship!) and the space filled with chopped Medjool dates. Leave for a week in the fridge, apart from the occasional shake of the bottle, then strain.

There's still a little harshness from the cheapo rum, but the date flavour has certainly infused, making it more of a liqueur. Interesting and not bad at all.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bangkok in a few hours.

Sirocco Sky Lounge tonight at the hotel (some sky bar jazzy nonsense)

Gaggan tomorrow

Nahm for Sunday dinner

Suspect Gaggan will be amazing, but could be surpassed by street food and beer which is always a winner

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Will be giving these filled snails a try

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=6636

£1.99? Wow, that's seriously cheap.

The best thing about French-style snails is the garlic & herb butter. You should have some bread on hand to mop up the remainder from the plate. The snails themselves are a bit dull without the butter. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson