Food and drink thread

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

However.... poncey stuff aside....

Small bowl processed peyz.... mint concentrate.... malt vinegar.... white pepper.....

Poodles swingers

I don't even bother with the vinegar mint and pepper.

I really can't explain my devotion to tinned processed peas, but I can sit and eat a tin of them in a bowl and really enjoy them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I don't even bother with the vinegar mint and pepper.

I really can't explain my devotion to tinned processed peas, but I can sit and eat a tin of them in a bowl and really enjoy them

I always have a few tins of marrowfat peas in the cupboard. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sirocco lounge - meh. Pretentious. Average

Gaggan - Wonderful food experience. Sat at the chef's table so had Gaggan with us for the evening. A lot of misdirection with plating, smells etc. A few highlights were a chocolate ball filled with chilli and curry, a prawn stuffed with sorbet that tasted like Tom Yum, Goat Brains. Every course seemed to have a place, it was refreshing or lingered on your palette for ages. Amazing - including the price!!

Nahm - Always a winner. Proper spicy or refreshing as good Thai food should be. Washed down with brilliant cocktails. Great service

Street food - Less and less of it kicking about. The government have really cracked down which is a shame

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

A pork char siu bun and a green tea mooncake for lunch. Life is good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well really advancing with me cooking now and trying new things. The works canteen has moved to a third party and there has been frozen stock left over that will be used or thrown cos it's out of date. Caught a whole box (5 kilos) of raw king prawns going out of date :O. £5 as a token gesture and 1.5 kg of prawns later I'm a happy man.

So going to do surf n turf wraps with onion and spring onions. Tesco's are doing some new corn wraps for 90p so they'll get the nod tonight.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a home-made chicken laksa - the first time I've ever cooked one.

And it won't be the last! Turned out very nicely. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any champagne/sparkling wine fans out there?

Tried a couple of new bottles at the weekend from the local wine merchant for a special occasion:

’Quartet’ by Roederer’s Anderson Estate (USA sparkling wine) £21

Fancied trying this after reading that it was the premium fizz from California made by famous champagne makers Louis Roederer.  Named after the four vineyards on the estate.

Grape: Chardonnay (60%), Pinot Noir (40%)

Verdict:  Mature complex notes with the Chardonnay especially prominent.

Canard-Duchene Brut Rose NV (Champagne) £22

Had this recommended to me by the wine merchant after being on the hunt for Camel Valley’s red fizz (Cornish sparkling wine).

Grape: Pinot Noir (45%),  Chardonnay (30%), Pinot Meunier (25%)

Verdict:  Reminiscent of the red fruity tones of Laurent Perrier Cuvée Rose at half the price! 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I've got domaine de la Fontainerie from Vouvray. Sparkling Chenin... demi sec and brut 

And

Guy Durand.... Sparkling rose.... 

Both bloody good sparklers 

And visitors to the Loire valley please contact me for details. I can't recommend these highly enough. Guy in particularly has spent a few years getting there, but he's right on top of his game this last couple of years.

• Like 1

It's been a while (I had some during the hotter days of Summer) since I had sparkling wine, but if we win the RWC final, I may break that streak. :D 

As far as Champagne goes I remember having Billecart-Salmon at a party a few years ago and really liking it. Laurent Perrier, too.

But my usual fizz isn't Champagne, but other sparkling wines, without the price tag that comes with the name. Some, including British versions, are very good indeed.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not a fan of pinot meunier or pinot noir.... even chardonnay doesn't get close to chenin or sauv blanc on my white variety fav list..... so champagne isn't really my sought after tipple.

That said, the trip to piper heidseck was fabulous. For a couple of hours we were treated like royalty and subjected to one of the most opulent tours imaginable.

However, given the opportunity to get down n dirty amongst the vines with Simione from moulin du poupre in provence.... only one winner

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not a fan of pinot meunier or pinot noir.... even chardonnay doesn't get close to chenin or sauv blanc on my white variety fav list..... so champagne isn't really my sought after tipple.

That said, the trip to piper heidseck was fabulous. For a couple of hours we were treated like royalty and subjected to one of the most opulent tours imaginable.

That said, given the opportunity to get down n dirty amongst the vines with Simione from moulin du poupre in provence.... only one winner

The South Africans are particularly good with Chenin blanc. A local shop used to sell Ken Forrester FMC, which was amazing! I recently found it in a new shop a few miles away, but the price has gone up a bit in the intervening years... :( 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It's been a while (I had some during the hotter days of Summer) since I had sparkling wine, but if we win the RWC final, I may break that streak. :D 

As far as Champagne goes I remember having Billecart-Salmon at a party a few years ago and really liking it. Laurent Perrier, too.

But my usual fizz isn't Champagne, but other sparkling wines, without the price tag that comes with the name. Some, including British versions, are very good indeed.

I’m a big fan of the award winning Camel Valley sparkling wines from Cornwall.

Even visited the vineyard itself and enjoyed a glass or two on the balcony overlooking the vineyard and the valley on a hot summer’s day.

Many varieties there including a sparkling red and the special ‘Annie’s Anniversary’ which has a sherbet lemony zing to it.

49 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

However, given the opportunity to get down n dirty amongst the vines with Simione from moulin du poupre in provence.... only one winner

All sounds fantastic.

I’ve come to the game relatively late and only have trips to a couple of vineyards in Tuscany near Chianti-en-Greve and a visit to the Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall.

Thinking of taking in the festival in Bordeaux next year, but secretly want to see the champagne houses in the north west.

25 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

All sounds fantastic.

I’ve come to the game relatively late and only have trips to a couple of vineyards in Tuscany near Chianti-en-Greve and a visit to the Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall.

Thinking of taking in the festival in Bordeaux next year, but secretly want to see the champagne houses in the north west.

Try this.    We've been 5 times and in the past based family holidays around this festival. From the uzes festival we discovered les cabotines, moulin du poupre and colline de bourdic..... who we still by from when were down there.

This and the troglovinium in Vouvray are way the best festivals we've been to.

Troglovinium is in may on Ascension weekend.

Uzes is the 2nd full weekend in August....

Both very highly recommended 

15396505-20723416.jpg

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Thanks 1

Chicken Tinga tonight. A Mexican recipe of chicken, cooked in chipotle sauce, allspice, cinnamon, onions, tomatoes and garlic. Topped with sour cream mixed with lime zest, and served in tortillas with lettuce.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:35 AM, Robin Evans said:

You want slart wi ya tripe?

Its pronounced slaaaaart!

Ey up Robin. I had an uncle who was a respected tripe dealer and serviced all Yorkshire with his wares. Used to bring us two stainless steel buckets full of honeycomb tripe, elder, chickerlings, cow heels and udder. Mixed with boiled onions, a meal fit for a king. That's why all my family are in their nineties. Luvly grub.

Hash browns, fried sprats, several wedges of lemon and some mayonnaise (the latter because I forgot to buy tartare sauce).

That's good eatin'!

Ralph Waldo Emerson