Food and drink thread

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Had roast lamb me sen....

Garlic n rosemary.....  washed down with a good cot from the Loire. 

Stuffed.

A bottle of Primitivo/Zinfandel from Italy's Salentino (the heel of the boot) region for me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Been on a curing and smoking course all day.

I have a fridge full of vac packed salt beef, pancetta duck breast and pigs cheek curing away.

On top I have some proper corned beef pastrami and port glazed gammon....

What a day.....

Washing down with a black and a red from welbeck brewery

I've had worse fridays

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Been on a curing and smoking course all day.

I have a fridge full of vac packed salt beef, pancetta duck breast and pigs cheek curing away.

On top I have some proper corned beef pastrami and port glazed gammon....

What a day.....

Washing down with a black and a red from welbeck brewery

I've had worse fridays

Sounds interesting! Where did you do the course?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Shared a lovely bottle of Laurent Perrier Cuvee Rose in Manchester on Friday night along with a few French Martinis.  

Funny thing was in this age of Prosecco, the young lad behind the bar was struggling to identify the classic bottle shape of the ‘LP’ in their wine cooler!  We got there in the end.

Anyway, I’m interested to know what fizz, sparklers, bubbly etc everyone has got lined up for Xmas and New Year?

Is anyone really pushing the boat out and if so what are you recommending?

So far I’ve accumulated:

Nyetimber Sparkling Rose (UK)

Chapel Down Sparkling Rose (UK)

Canard-Duchêne Rose (France)

Veuve Monsigny Brut NV (France)

Veuve Monsigny Rose (France)

I called into GH Porters butchers in Newark on my way to Lincoln on Friday.

I bought faggots wrapped in bacon, haslet and black pudding. I loved the faggots but my wife found them a bit too "livery". The black pudding was brilliant, enough small bits of fat to keep it moist without being over powering. The haslet was good too. I also bought a pork pie which I will try later, I regret not buying and trying their rabbit pie.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

My sister and her husband had a shared birthday party over the weekend, as their actual birthdays are very close in December.

Apart from some bowls of crisps/nuts/twiglets, and some really nice sweet tarts (chocolate, lemon or Bakewell), they dealt with the main catering by hiring a fish'n'chip van. It pulled up outside the front door, served everyone and tallied up the amount served at the end of the evening as part of the hire cost.

Genius!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can you believe it?...going to get some of these and throw them at the rabid Wolfpack fans during the home opener...will calm all those wild canines down.

Predicting this will be a best seller in Canada!

https://news.lift.co/5-cannabis-dog-treats-can-find-canadian-grey-market/

2 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

What is it about the bread and butter(sic) you get in fish and chip restaurants.

I can't get enough of it, yet it's limp, generic, supermarket white bread slathered in smegma.

It is part of the sacred ritual. 

The wafers you get at communion aren't exactly a taste bud riot (and the wine's usually pretty rough too), but it wouldn't be proper without them.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is part of the sacred ritual. 

The wafers you get at communion aren't exactly a taste bud riot (and the wine's usually pretty rough too), but it wouldn't be proper without them.

Over hearing old lasses saying how spotless the cafe is part of it all as well

'F@nny* Cradock cooks for Christmas' is currently on the BBC Red Button, and also on the iPlayer. 

*the @ was added, to defeat the forum's swear filter. :D 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

At the moment I have a craze for drinking pints of tomato juice with lashings of Worcestershire sauce, or Henderson's relish.

At the current rate of progress, by the weekend I'll be drinking pints of Worcestershire sauce with lashings of tomato juice.

• Like 1

Hummm. I had Bunny Stew, with lots of Garlic in May 2017 at Valletta on Malta, it was nice, but wild rabbit. I nearly died when Miss Bunny (the Brown one) went missing. BBC Saturday Kitchen showed dead Bunnies. Leilani nearly died.
There should be a watershed for showing pets as food.
Who hasn't eaten fish then gone home & fed the tank?
Or thought about baby animals like lamb, calves, Cockerels and goat, whose males are slaughtered just because they don't produce enough milk or eggs.
Most of the "Chickens" you eat are Male Cocks, out of the egg & killed at 9-15 weeks, because they are not egg producers.
We used to have Capon for Xmas, Castrated Chicken.
Loads of meat on him.
Touch my Bunnies & you die, the brown one is missing. If I find the fox, I will slit it's gizzards.
No automatic alt text available.

18 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Pies done. Jellied and given as presents....

Paté and chutney made.

Stuffing to make and a ham braising in ginger ale with all.manner of fruit and spices..... ginger glaze to apply.....

The smells in this kitchen are pretty good......

20171222_163354.jpg

I need some staff training on the subject of raised pies. I'm not kidding.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:52 PM, Bleep1673 said:

There should be a watershed for showing food as pets.

Altered for better reading and more festive approach.;)

Magret de Canard, Lapin and Coustallous de porc ...... Now that what I call Christmas meals!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Patience is the greatest ingredient.

Make a bit water pastry.

Melt 125g good lard in 150ml water. Add to 450g flour. Mix well. Don't use supermarket lard. Use a good butcher... if you can get Italian lard it makes very crispy pastry. Lovely. Then set aside. At least 3-4 hours. Some wait overnight.

It will cool and as it cools it will stiffen. 

Then you will need a dolly. I have two... see below. Start using the larger one. It' easier to work.

Cut pastry enough for a pie and set aside enough for a lid. 

For the dough into a stiff 1cm thick paté about 1ckm diameter bigger than the dolly.

Then placing your hand around the dough slowly work it up the sides of the dolly until you have the height of your pie.

Pie mix 75/25 shoulder/belly mix. I double mince about 25% of the mix to give a variance in texture.

1.6% salt. Pepper... use 50/50 black/white. Pinch mace. Allspice and a few grates of nutmeg. Leave 2 days.

To assemble push the meat firmly into your pie she'l to get the air out and ensure a tight pie.

Egg wash your lid on.

Cook 190 for about 80 mins.

Leave to cool before putting your jelly in.

For the jelly use pigs feet not gelatin. It' easy and much much better

20171222_114710.jpg

• Like 1