Food and drink thread

Roast duck, roast spuds and red cabbage tonight.  With rice pudding, almonds and cherry sauce for dessert.

Very traditional Danish Christmas dinner.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Patience is the greatest ingredient.

Make a bit water pastry.

Melt 125g good lard in 150ml water. Add to 450g flour. Mix well. Don't use supermarket lard. Use a good butcher... if you can get Italian lard it makes very crispy pastry. Lovely. Then set aside. At least 3-4 hours. Some wait overnight.

It will cool and as it cools it will stiffen. 

Then you will need a dolly. I have two... see below. Start using the larger one. It' easier to work.

Cut pastry enough for a pie and set aside enough for a lid. 

For the dough into a stiff 1cm thick paté about 1ckm diameter bigger than the dolly.

Then placing your hand around the dough slowly work it up the sides of the dolly until you have the height of your pie.

Pie mix 75/25 shoulder/belly mix. I double mince about 25% of the mix to give a variance in texture.

1.6% salt. Pepper... use 50/50 black/white. Pinch mace. Allspice and a few grates of nutmeg. Leave 2 days.

To assemble push the meat firmly into your pie she'l to get the air out and ensure a tight pie.

Egg wash your lid on.

Cook 190 for about 80 mins.

Leave to cool before putting your jelly in.

For the jelly use pigs feet not gelatin. It' easy and much much better

20171222_114710.jpg

Excellent, thanks mate.

29 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I've got matter d'oie

Now I'm sure there's a restaurant thread somewhere but your post reminded of a meal I had in Dunkerque with a source Foie Gras

If you're ever doing the sites of defeat/war or going directly to Belgium without collecting £200 I can recommend this place

Le Sweet

I don't do this often but top notch food

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Well Christmas dinner went down a treat. Belting food even if I say so myself. Wonderful company. Lots of laughs.

We had to make emergency arrangements to accommodate 3 more at only a couple of hours notice....

Crisis, what Crisis? All sorted.

I don't care if it sounds like I'm blowing my own flugelhorn.... but I nailed it..... but as always when I cook, I ate very little......

Then at 4.30 I slumped with a 1996 bottle of clynelish......

I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Today chips n turkey n pickles?

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We had to make emergency arrangements to accommodate 3 more at only a couple of hours notice....

Crisis, what Crisis? All sorted.

I don't care if it sounds like I'm blowing my own flugelhorn.... but I nailed it..... but as always when I cook, I ate very little......

Then at 4.30 I slumped with a 1996 bottle of clynelish......

I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Today chips n turkey n pickles?

I love it when that happens. It adds to the vibe. We had an extra one plus a take away: my lad's partner's dad who can't get out. 

I was knackered and pleasingly sober at the end of it. Our Angus slept through the entire session.

I dread the day when I haven't got it in me to do it. 

By the way is there any pie left? You inspired me.

Edited by Tongs ya bas

Our lilee is 3.... he first full Monty Christmas frenzy....

Lils n her mum have been here since Saturday as fella didn't finish nights at the big house til yesterday morning.

So I've been treated to a granddaughter on full tilt..... really excited..... and it's been brilliant.

Similarly, I can't contemplate not doing it for folks over Christmas tho I wouldlove to do it in some isolated cottage in the highlands or Northumberland by way of a change....

8 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Quarter them,fry them with some bacon.

Half them, wok them with chilli, garlic, ginger and a spash of soy & lime.. Chuck in some squid and beansprouts at the end.

Had that for me tea t'other day.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I cooked Jansson's Temptation this evening, and very nice it was too. Despite the simple ingredients, it is extremely rich, due to the cream and butter involved. Not an everyday dish then, but a fine treat for a cold Winter's evening.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/janssons-temptation/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the tips. I don't eat sprouts but I'm doing it for the wife. Going to mix both tips Going to quarter them, stir fry with bacon , onions and mushrooms and a dash of soy sauce served with chicken.

Been prepping veg for what seems like a week as work (T...O) has been clearing them at ridiculous prices. Got 3 kg of Carrots for 36p!

Next question apart from a soup any one got any alternative recipes for carrots, maybe a bit left field too?

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On a drink theme. Badger brewery dorset. - Blandford Flyer. Chuffing beautiful. I work for T...O but we don't stock it have to get it from my local shop! My in-laws lived 6 mile from their brewery/shop etc and despite having varied drinking routes along the way I never ventured there. Surprise and astonishment are the words. Try it. Classed as gingery golden beer!!

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

10 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

On a drink theme. Badger brewery dorset. - Blandford Flyer. Chuffing beautiful. I work for T...O but we don't stock it have to get it from my local shop! My in-laws lived 6 mile from their brewery/shop etc and despite having varied drinking routes along the way I never ventured there. Surprise and astonishment are the words. Try it. Classed as gingery golden beer!!

Everything gingery is wonderful?

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Badger beers are interesting... sometimes in a pleasant way. They do go for some unusual flavours, and the good ones are refreshingly different. You can get some of their beers in supermarkets, but not usually the whole range.

The Blandford Flyer is very nice.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson