Food and drink thread

Don't understand this.
Curly just made a Lancashire..... yes that's Lancashire .... hot pot. It was bloody gorgeous.
Why cant you buy this in pubs?
Rabbit stew.
Lob Scouse
Beef stew
Proper corned beef hash
These are the poodles swingers..... proper good snap. Why on earth can't pubs do this stuff???

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Don't understand this.
Curly just made a Lancashire..... yes that's Lancashire .... hot pot. It was bloody gorgeous.
Why cant you buy this in pubs?
Rabbit stew.
Lob Scouse
Beef stew
Proper corned beef hash
These are the poodles swingers..... proper good snap. Why on earth can't pubs do this stuff???

Maybe you aren't frequenting the right sort of pubs. :ph34r:

Apart from corned beef hash, the other recipes do take a long time to cook. But you could make them, portion them up and freeze them in advance. Of course, people would then start moaning about 'boil in a bag' catering. :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

What is it with tv chefs when they do mash?

It's always "sloppy mash". Too much butter and cream so the mash can be almost poured. Yak. I'd want to hurl.

Mash ..... for me at least needs to be much firmer

I'd agree with that. While butter and cream is great for mashed potato, it shouldn't be a purée.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Easy peasy salmon stir fry recipe (serves 4-5):

Ingredients:
Salmon steaks, grilled or pan fried separately

Chopped veg: Pak Choi, red onion, red and green peppers, courgette/broccoli

Whole veg: Mange tout, endame beans from the freezer.

Tin of water chestnuts

Noodles or rice to serve

For the sauce:

A large dollop of minced garlic and ginger mix, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, chilli flakes, fish sauce or shrimp paste (from Waitrose)

Instructions:

When the salmon is nearly ready, bung it all in a wok and fry it on a high heat.  Serve the salmon on top, all on a bed of rice or with the noodles stir-fried in.

Easy and utterly delicious!

Just roasted some Honduran Clave del Sol coffee beans. While I always come back to beans from Ethiopia/Kenya, which are the original and best to my taste, this makes a very nice brew indeed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I haven't. The memsahib has.

Her version is more of a corned beef stew ..... made by shreading salted brisket into root veg and slow cooking. Served with yorkshires and is tonight's tea.

Mine is frying of2 an onion, adding shreaded brisket, thyme and mash... stiff mash and crisping up....

I can only eat 2-3 cwt of this... :wink:

Edited by Robin Evans

Well tomorrow it's Potato spinach and chick pea curry with some 30p reduced to clear "mega" naans from work! Work has got a third party company in now instead of inhouse and we now have a chef in our canteen instead of member of staff/cook!! The menu is still discounted though so everything in the curry is fresh and has only cost me £1.03 per serving. He's also a veggie so he makes this regular. Cheaper and better for us than a ready meal. Those microwaveable plastic tubs are worth their weight in gold.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I haven't. The memsahib has.

Her version is more of a corned beef stew ..... made by shreading salted brisket into root veg and slow cooking. Served with yorkshires and is tonight's tea.

Mine is frying of2 an onion, adding shreaded brisket, thyme and mash... stiff mash and crisping up....

I can only eat 2-3 cwt of this... :wink:

I've only ever had it made by my Grandma and it was always potatoes, tinned corned beef, gravy, and other stuff, it was like a very thick stew, if i was lucky it was served on pancakes!! yum yum.

now 'm thinking about it she maybe calls it ash. i'll have to ask her!

2 minutes ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

I've only ever had it made by my Grandma and it was always potatoes, tinned corned beef, gravy, and other stuff, it was like a very thick stew, if i was lucky it was served on pancakes!! yum yum.

now 'm thinking about it she maybe calls it ash. i'll have to ask her!

That's how my mammade it.?

Here's a slightly different corned beef hash. Not the dish by that name that I first tasted, but worth a try. The pickles add a textural and flavour contrast, if you include them.

Corned Beef Hash
serves 4

Ingredients

• 275g/10oz potatoes, diced but not peeled
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 225g/8oz tinned corned beef, diced (about the same size as the potatoes)
  • 3 tbsp Worcester Sauce/Henderson's Relish
  • 1 tsp English mustard
  • gherkins/cornichons, roughly chopped (optional)
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • oil
  • 50g/2oz butter

Method

1. Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water 'til they are beginning to soften, then drain.
2. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
3. Put the onion mixture into a bowl with the Worcester sauce, chopped gherkin and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Then add the corned beef and stir in gently, to avoid breaking the chunks down too much.
4. Transfer this mixture to an ovenproof dish.
5. Preheat the grill to high.
6. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil with the butter in a frying pan and fry the potatoes until tender and golden-brown.
7. Spoon the potatoes on top of the meat mixture in the dish, then place under the grill for 4-6 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Just to be clear.... there's nowt wrong wi hash made from canned corned beef. I was brought up on it?

your gonna tell me other types of corned beef are available now, right?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

i didn't know it existed out of a can until recently and i've never had the non canned version.

what about tinned stew meat, golly, try and make something that tastes that good!!

Irish corned beef ( sometimes available here in Irish shops) is cooked beef that has been corned ( salted) It looks like sliced roast beef rather than the sort thats imported ftom Fray Bentos. I imagine then Irish is like Jewish kosher salt beef.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

13 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

That's how my mammade it.?

Me Mam's recipe an all. Tinned Corned Beef of course. 

She used Oxtail Soup i think.

Fresh corned beef ash with Yorkshires

1 day old corned beef ash with mash potato.

2 day old corned beef ash goes in a toastie.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas