Food and drink thread

Roasted the duck breast which unfortunately came out less pink than anticipated, but still entirely acceptable and tender.

The Montmorency sauce was a bit of a cheat in the end.   I just went with gently heating a jar of morello cherries soaked in a kirsch cherry sauce.  Was tempted to add red wine and corn syrup, but was glad I didn’t.

The result was a very rich accompaniment to the duck, although I have to say it totally complimented the duck breast and it’s apricot stuffing.

I also served roast potatoes cooked in the duck fat which were delicious.

All in all, a triumph albeit one involving limited cooking skill!

Parmo has made its first ever appearance on Masterchef!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Does anyone actually buy/eat salad cream?

My sister likes the horrible stuff. I sometimes wonder if one of us was adopted.

And it is much championed over real mayonnaise as an act of "keeping it real" by class warriors. :wink: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyhoo, I have a couple of beef ribs for tonight, marinating in garlic, oil, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, lemon juice and red wine. And there will be mashed potato - that's non-negotiable!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salad cream. Vile.

It takes 2 mins to make good mayo. Making mine tonight .... for a change I'm using rape seed oil .... bit of salt... splash white wine vinegar and squeeze of lemon.

Chicken strips seasoned with salt cayenne.... egg dip then panko... and fried off.

Tiger prawns in tempura

Some green things with the mayo and a creme fraiche with spring onion and chive dip.....

It's just the green things that scare me.

Edited by Robin Evans

From Noble Rot magazine.

DX2BM8YX0AAF0bI.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salad Cream? 

It's the taste of summer. It brings back memories of those long summer dsys when I was a kid. I love it and as for mayonnaise, what is it for? Tasteless sandwich lubricant

One mans meat.......

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I went into Tesco this evening and they had some jellied eels on the reduced counter. Absolute bargain at a tenth of the unreduced price.

Eel must be the most underrated white fish. Its flesh is firm and really tasty. Its a shame it isn't widely available unless it's in aspic.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

10 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I went into Tesco this evening and they had some jellied eels on the reduced counter. Absolute bargain at a tenth of the unreduced price.

Eel must be the most underrated white fish. Its flesh is firm and really tasty. Its a shame it isn't widely available unless it's in aspic.

I like eel - just not jellied eel. Japanese style smoked eel is delicious, and there's a Greek restaurant near King's Cross that sometimes has it on the menu, and do it very nicely.

But it is always hard to find in shops, in un-jellied, uncooked form. There's a couple of stalls in Borough Market that sell it: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/articles/smoked-eel

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I like eel - just not jellied eel. Japanese style smoked eel is delicious, and there's a Greek restaurant near King's Cross that sometimes has it on the menu, and do it very nicely.

But it is always hard to find in shops, in un-jellied, uncooked form. There's a couple of stalls in Borough Market that sell it: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/articles/smoked-eel

I have had eel in Sushi but getting them live is best.

I've caught and eaten many fresh eel (in our area they are called ling cod)...gotta know how to clean them though.   Fried in garlic butter is best.  Nice white flesh.  Yummy yummy!

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I've caught and eaten many fresh eel (in our area they are called ling cod)...gotta know how to clean them though.   Fried in garlic butter is best.  Nice white flesh.  Yummy yummy!

Ling cod are actually a completely separate species to the freshwater and sea eels we know in Europe, so I wouldn't know how the taste compares.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Ling cod are actually a completely separate species to the freshwater and sea eels we know in Europe, so I wouldn't know how the taste compares.

It odd but they are not actually ling cod at all (I've eaten ling cod)....but thats what many people call them up here in the Great Lakes.   They are actually sea lamprey and and are an  invader to the Great Lakes brought in many years ago in ballast.

They are caught since they attach themselves to trout and salmon, when you bring in the fish the lamprey is on them.

All fishermen I know kill them and throw them away as waste....many a face has turned to disgust when I said save them since you can eat them....they think I'm crazy but fresh eel fried in garlic butter is very good.  

Thats how you catch 'em over here.

Lamprey-09-Doug-Owen.jpg

Okay, the lamprey is a whole different species again.

And remember to eat them in moderation, or you'll end up like Henry I. :wink: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I stand corrected, and who ever said I couldn't admit I was wrong (that be you Parky),  I thought the lamprey was a form of eel...and I'll gladly admit it...you outwitted me on that second one there.....my knowledge is weak in that area.

DP swears you are master of the wit and I always take DP seriously...his symbol is in a piece of my art.

I'm more interested in your quote there, now just off the top of your head now, answer me the following question,

"What do you know of Alcibiades?"

47 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I always wondered it....the eel meat in lamprey was/is very different texture and colour.  Thats why, they are probably hard to clean and people throw then away...their jaws are something out of Alien, real gross after you pull themoff the fish...now here is a food no one on  the form has ever eaten, willing to place a bet on this one!

You clean em by going 1/3 down both sides first with a sharp fillet knife...that part it is total waste (don't open it up)...

Next you get newspaper for grasping (skin is slippery)...cut down middle for two symetrical pieces (a forceful power should slice through spine with a good knife)

Wash slime off skin good with paper towel...cube and fry in hot skillett with garlic butter, make chunks bigger rather than smaller.

GET CRACKERS READY!

A NICE COLD CHAMPAGNE GOES WELL WITH IT.

Biology

• 624px-Lamprey_anatomy.png

Basic external anatomy of a lamprey

Adults superficially resemble eels in that they have scaleless,elongated bodies, and can range from 13 to 100 cm (5 to 40 inches) in length. Lacking paired fins, adult lampreys have large eyes, one nostril on the top of the head, and seven gill pores on each side of the head. The pharynx is subdivided; the ventral part forming a respiratory tube that is isolated from the mouth by a valve called the velum.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I stand corrected, and who ever said I couldn't admit I was wrong (that be you Parky),  I thought the lamprey was a form of eel...and I'll gladly admit it...you outwitted me on that second one there.....my knowledge is weak in that area.

DP swears you are master of the wit and I always take DP seriously...his symbol is in a piece of my art.

I'm more interested in your quote there, now just off the top of your head now, answer me the following question,

"What do you know of Alcibiades?"

Alcibiades, apart from being the user-name of a former forum member, is not someone of whom I know much. Unless he also died of a surfeit of lampreys like King Henry, and I don't think he did.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Alcibiades, apart from being the user-name of a former forum member, is not someone of whom I know much. Unless he also died of a surfeit of lampreys like King Henry, and I don't think he did.

Thats even more interesting, to name oneself such...the lamprey death does spark a tweek in my mind of Shakesspeare, but a far distant one, lost in the ceaseless noise of the endless waves...this is the way of the life of those who follow the way of the  kayak.

Can't wait to get on the water again...soon but need to be careful of ice....in truth, very high risk of death since the ice packs can move in on ya if the wind changers...and it can happen quick too! Dangerous...time to paddle hard for a long time...all that time in the gym during the off season coming into play!  So glad you did all those deadlifts!  TIME TO MOVE MAN!  SWEAT DRIPPING DOWN...UPPER BODY ON OVERLOAD...LIVIN ON THE EDGE MAN!

Getting a little older now, for a time there I was one of the top paddlers long distance solo on the Planet but I didn't really want that life...wasn't doing this long distance solo shot for the cameras Man!  Met some real interesting people though, long distance paddlers,like free style wrestlers, are a breed of their own...and its a small club.  Can't wait to get on that water again....sometimes I think that from a plane or Helicopter (sometimes they come over, once I raced a sea plane on camera).

Problem is, this screwed up schedule for the Wolfpack, screws everything up for long trips!!!!!!!!  Need to unwind man  but maybe some shorter trips (I have done five solo kayak expeditions of 35-50 days), solo trip[s don't allow me to lose myself!

Decisions, decisions

Hope I haven't bored you with my ramblings,

Kayakman Out (thats my handle with the Coast Guard)

11 hours ago, Kayakman said:

We caught them on long lines. We would catch Flook ( flounder) Eels and Sea Bass.

We had a caravan at Askam and my cousins and I spent all summer there living off the fish. We would sell the flook ( 2 shillings a washing up bowl full... 10p in todays money!) but could not give away the eels or the Sea Bass! So we had to live on the eels as the Bass was a bit of a rarity. Nowadays we would have made a killing with the Bass

We made enough to buy milk, custard powder and rhubarb so that was our staple diet. We made just enough to keep us in ciggies and the odd bag of chips.

There were a few girls down there so at 12, 13 &14 years old with food, fags and some girls to squeeze it was really living the high life.

Happy Days!

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

We caught them on long lines. We would catch Flook ( flounder) Eels and Sea Bass.

We had a caravan at Askam and my cousins and I spent all summer there living off the fish. We would sell the flook ( 2 shillings a washing up bowl full... 10p in todays money!) but could not give away the eels or the Sea Bass! So we had to live on the eels as the Bass was a bit of a rarity. Nowadays we would have made a killing with the Bass

We made enough to buy milk, custard powder and rhubarb so that was our staple diet. We made just enough to keep us in ciggies and the odd bag of chips.

There were a few girls down there so at 12, 13 &14 years old with food, fags and some girls to squeeze it was really living the high life.

Happy Days!

Ahh...the good old days...the firmness of it all!

Now they spend all day playing video games and on their phones...if this is progress, well it isn't progress, simple as that.