Food and drink thread

This apparently exists - fried egg flavour crisps! I need to find some...

DYRiejVXcAIWKNm.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Someone on Twitter spotted this creation, from the Isle of Man.

DYpW7lyXkAEkpQo.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

As this evening's match has kicked off, I have cracked open a bottle of Tesco's Saint Mont. A blend of four very obscure grape varieties (Gros Manseng, Petit Manseng, Arrufiac and Petit Courbu), this is a very refreshing white.

I may well buy more of this, especially when the weather gets warmer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Spare a thought for poor old Morrissey. Allah has seen fit to dim the light of his wisdom to such an extent that he can no longer locate eggs in a supermarket.

Not that he'd actually want to buy eggs, due to his choice of exclusion-diet eating disorder. In fact, he probably hates eggs as much as he hates the Chinese. But it is apparently some sort of comfort to him if he knows where they are, so he can disapprove of them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I work on the Frozen department  in T*S*O. The despair that goes on with customers if they can't find frozen mashed potato amongst other things. Really? Lazy nation we are becoming,

Well having grabbed bargains from work veg wise over the last month, I have prepped then frozen a handful of each one veg to try my own roasted veg. At a cost of probably 6p per handful I've just whacked them all in the oven now with some Tuna steaks. The irony that the Garlic oil I coated them in was £2 for a small bottle :/.

Got to love the plastic microwaveable boxes for freezing extra food than needed for another day.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

I work on the Frozen department  in T*S*O. The despair that goes on with customers if they can't find frozen mashed potato amongst other things. Really? Lazy nation we are becoming,

Well having grabbed bargains from work veg wise over the last month, I have prepped then frozen a handful of each one veg to try my own roasted veg. At a cost of probably 6p per handful I've just whacked them all in the oven now with some Tuna steaks. The irony that the Garlic oil I coated them in was £2 for a small bottle :/.

Got to love the plastic microwaveable boxes for freezing extra food than needed for another day.

If it is convenient for you or me to make things like this from scratch, then that's good and saves money (and packaging). However, that's not a viable option for many. Here's the Angry Chef's take for the Times, via (for some reason) a church site to avoid the Murdoch paywall: http://www.holynamejesmond.co.uk/uncategorized/the-angry-chef-in-defence-of-preprepared-vegetables-anthony-warner/

I assume that the first two words in the article should actually be one and read "Every".

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got some herring for tonight, but haven't decided how to cook it yet.

And I bought ox cheek for tomorrow or Sunday. Season it with salt and pepper, sear it in a frying pan, then into a roasting bag with onions, carrots, garlic, the liquid from deglazing the pan and herbs (thyme, bay leaf, juniper berries). Then, place the bag into a slow cooker and let it cook in its own juices for 4 or more hours. because it is cooked in a small enclosed space, it doesn't need much liquid, as that will come from the meat and onions. It comes out very dark on the outside and deep purple inside, tender enough to eat with just a fork. I sometimes add a little sour cream to the juices in the bag, for a richer gravy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I got some herring for tonight, but haven't decided how to cook it yet.

I roasted the herring, stuffed with garlic, chervil and butter. Served with chips. Nice!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A visit to Morrisons at lunchtime, and I have the following ingredients waiting for my attention later.

White-shell clams
White wine
Garlic
Butter
Shallots
Double cream
Chives
Crusty white bread rolls

I shall let you know if any of the clams were dodgy in a few hours...

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I shall let you know if any of the clams were dodgy in a few hours...

Well, I spent the night in my bed, and not on the thunderbox, so there weren't any bad ones.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just taken delivery of a case from Virgin Wines. As has become a habit recently, I have gone for a 6-bottle case of the really good stuff, as opposed to a 12-bottle case of merely nice wines. So I have six bottles of Perez Cruz La Higuera, which is a Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz blend from Chile, and it is lovely and rich.

And I saved about £40 into the bargain!

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Katsu curry seems to be the in-thing at the moment.

Katsu chicken curry in a sandwich is a very nice thing indeed. Messy, but nice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Katsu chicken curry in a sandwich is a very nice thing indeed. Messy, but nice.

As a treat if im not at the gym in my dinner hour, i go to a different Japanese place other than the hawker, its certainly more expensive, but you get a good katsu, a bowl of ramen and other assorted jazz for around 25 SGD. Doesn't bloat me as well which the 10 SGD hawker version (with omelette) does.

I would actually love a pret in the building.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Anyone who knows me know how passionate about food and good wine I am. I suppose given my size its not hard to guess.

But ive just been to Toulouse for the weekend and spent the morning salivating in the victor hugo market hall which ranks as one of the best I've ever experienced 

The whole atmos and sense of community was something we just dont have the equal of.

Coffees and the best croissant ever first thing. Every seat was taken in every restaurant at lunchtime. The market hall was a sheer buzz of excitement and gastronomic splendour for me.

The meat fruit bread veg coffee fish were all world class with a seemingly infinite choice of each.

The service was wonderfully cheerful.

Dining on oysters, matinated 9-10cm prawns, crudités, charcuterie and cheeses washed down with Tarouquet white wine whilst talking rugby with all n sundry was a fabulous experience.

Highly recommended to any visitor ofthis wonderful city i giveyou one of my food heros..... the victor hugo market. 

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

Goats cheese in breadcrumbs lightly fried off.... served with melon and honey drizzle.....

Courtesy of suggestion from the st florent in blagnac....

Lovely on a day like this.....

I think british food has lots to offer and has come on in leaps this last 25 years. I cant put our offerings down cos we have some fabulous stuff on offer.... but generalising the british are slow to change habits.

Toulouse has blown me away this weekend