Food and drink thread

6 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

can I freeze it after cooking#? As in the goose fat?

If it is really well-filtered, it'll keep in the fridge for a few months. However, freezing is less risky. 

Some ideas here, with a downloadable recipe PDF: http://www.goosefat.co.uk/page/usage-recipes

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Found in Sainsbury's - Fussel's smoked rapeseed oil. Not bad! The smokiness is subtle rather than overpowering. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 1:42 PM, Futtocks said:

Found in Sainsbury's - Fussel's smoked rapeseed oil. Not bad! The smokiness is subtle rather than overpowering. 

Jamie fess up it's you ...come on you know you want to.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Went to Beverley market on saturday.

Not the best.... but well up there. A russian stall selling all kinds of russian pastries.

A top asian stall selling home made curry.... the pakora was gorgeous.

A pie stall to die for.

An artisan baker. An italian baker. Two premium coffee stalls. Fabulous fruit n veg. Fish man wasnt brilliant but what je had looked good.

Yesterday evening, improvising an accompaniment to slices of cold roast beef, I looked in the fridge. The result? Potato salad with a teaspoon or so of horseradish sauce stirred in. the spuds were Bartlett's Apaches and the mayonnaise was Sainsbury's own brand, which I rate better than most pre-prepared mayonnaises including market-leader Hellmans.

I'll be doing that again - it works well with beef!.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Dishoom this evening. Well worth a visit if you're ever near a branch.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have come to decision, one I'd  made earlier .... the only things worth talking about are food, drink, books and music.

Everything else is a recipe for bad behaviour and depression. Recognising when both these are happening and changing course using the above is essential.

So tonight Fish with Picpoul de Pinet .

And from now on reading lots of things like "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A gastronomic michelin star bonanza the next few weekends.

1. A masterclass this Saturday at Waku Ghin (2 star Japanese place) followed by a 6 course tasting menu - looking forward to trying A5 waygu beef

2. Bangkok weekend after for Gaggan's new tofu restaurant, 16 course tasting menu, a Sunday lunch at Bo-Lan (1 star) and then Monday lunch at Nahm (1 star). Trying to fit in SuHring (spelling) as well for Sunday night, but we'll see...

Lots of gym and vegetables in preparation.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

1. A masterclass this Saturday at Waku Ghin (2 star Japanese place) followed by a 6 course tasting menu - looking forward to trying A5 waygu beef

2. Bangkok weekend after for Gaggan's new tofu restaurant, 16 course tasting menu, a Sunday lunch at Bo-Lan (1 star) and then Monday lunch at Nahm (1 star). Trying to fit in SuHring (spelling) as well for Sunday night, but we'll see...

very jealous. 

Went to Tom Kitchin's place in Edinburgh a couple of weeks back, and tbh, the taster menu left me a little disappointed. Mostly decent food, apart from overcooked fish (Michelin star ffs), but the waiter trying to take our order when we hadn't been given menus, taking our glasses away without asking us if we wanted another drink with 2 courses to go (we had to wave a waiter down!), left a little sour taste in the mouth when I paid the £275 bill for lunch.

I won't be going again.

15 hours ago, Dave T said:

very jealous. 

Went to Tom Kitchin's place in Edinburgh a couple of weeks back, and tbh, the taster menu left me a little disappointed. Mostly decent food, apart from overcooked fish (Michelin star ffs), but the waiter trying to take our order when we hadn't been given menus, taking our glasses away without asking us if we wanted another drink with 2 courses to go (we had to wave a waiter down!), left a little sour taste in the mouth when I paid the £275 bill for lunch.

I won't be going again.

Poor service really does make a difference.

First time i went to Gaggan, the food was amazing, but the strongest memory is sharing a beer with him as he minced around the place eating an UberEats. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Well the Goose was disappointing. Tasted nice but not very much of it. Was supposed to serve 8-10 but we got 3 a bit out of it. My first attempt at goose fat roasties toneet.

A goose does have a big ribcage, so a large-looking bird can yield less than you'd expect if you're used to chicken or turkey.

But the fat is wonderful for spuds, as long as you get it really hot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 17 July 2018 at 1:23 PM, MattSantos said:

Waku Ghin was great; the beef was incredible. The masterclass showed how precise and organised the good chefs are, a real 'masterclass' in simplicity of flavours. Could see this influencing how i eat at home, less mealy type things and more simple, quality ingredients done really well.

The 8 courses (not 6) after showcased sea urchin, black truffle, Japanese fish and of course the absolutely perfect a5 wagyu with aged horseradish. Flipping ace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Homemade cullen skink and cranachan :)   Scottish food that's not deep fried.

cullen.jpg

cranachan.jpg

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well.

16 courses at Gaggan's new Japanese place was ok (i actually think it's just his mate and Gaggan 'sponsors' it). Every course included tofu and frankly, it just wasn't that nice. Wonderful execution and presentation, but it just wasn't that nice. Went for the full wine flight and the wife with 'sips' - very pricey as i wasn't getting much more in my glass at all. The posh bloke with his jumper tied around his shoulders complained.

Massive bill - can only pay cash! Who walks around with 500 GBP in their pockets! Paid via paypal and had to pay the fee the restaurant's bank applies as well. All in all a very underwhelming and annoying evening! Left feeling that Gaggan is now milking his flagship place (which is brilliant) to rinse as much cash as he can. Fair enough, but it won't be me again.

Bo.Lan the next day for a 5 course dinner. Absolutely bloody wonderful. Located in a nice old school place off a lane which set the scene nicely. Traditional recipes with a modern twist (obvz) which is very similar to Nahm but a little less kick the ###### out of you with spice which is nice. Great drinks. Just proper good snap and reasonably priced too. Mega rain as we were leaving, so a few Thai IPAs in the 'bar' whilst it passed was lovely. 

Didn't bother with Nahm the next day given the similarities, so had a 2 hour massage instead :)

On 8/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, MattSantos said:

Well.

16 courses at Gaggan's new Japanese place was ok (i actually think it's just his mate and Gaggan 'sponsors' it). Every course included tofu and frankly, it just wasn't that nice. Wonderful execution and presentation, but it just wasn't that nice. Went for the full wine flight and the wife with 'sips' - very pricey as i wasn't getting much more in my glass at all. The posh bloke with his jumper tied around his shoulders complained.

Massive bill - can only pay cash! Who walks around with 500 GBP in their pockets! Paid via paypal and had to pay the fee the restaurant's bank applies as well. All in all a very underwhelming and annoying evening! Left feeling that Gaggan is now milking his flagship place (which is brilliant) to rinse as much cash as he can. Fair enough, but it won't be me again.

Bo.Lan the next day for a 5 course dinner. Absolutely bloody wonderful. Located in a nice old school place off a lane which set the scene nicely. Traditional recipes with a modern twist (obvz) which is very similar to Nahm but a little less kick the ###### out of you with spice which is nice. Great drinks. Just proper good snap and reasonably priced too. Mega rain as we were leaving, so a few Thai IPAs in the 'bar' whilst it passed was lovely. 

Didn't bother with Nahm the next day given the similarities, so had a 2 hour massage instead :)

Maybee sir would like a waffer......? (Franglais)

• 1 month later...

I have just been doing some gastronomic Googling about the area where I have recently started a new job. Things look good so far...

McKanna Meats

Terroni Deli

I think I'll be doing all right for now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, MattSantos said:

A lovely young man has just popped by my desk and dropped off my Amazon delivery - Simon Rogan's new cookbook.

Now where can i get some rosehip!?

plenty of them ripening nicely in the New Forest, just now, MS.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, ckn said:

Homemade cullen skink and cranachan :)   Scottish food that's not deep fried.

cullen.jpg

cranachan.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, ckn - two of my favourites.  Have you ever tried Aberdeen butteries (aka rowies)?  A wonderful breakfast, comfort food (if not the healthiest ever created!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for the reminder, ckn - two of my favourites.  Have you ever tried Aberdeen butteries (aka rowies)?  A wonderful breakfast, comfort food (if not the healthiest ever created!)

And a prime contributor to why life expectancy in Scotland is lower!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"