Food and drink thread

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Warm salted roast chestnuts.... just the ticket for a dreary wet Sunday like this...

I love chestnuts, whether freshly roasted or those vacuum-packed ones you can buy ready-cooked.

Tonight, however, I am making roast pigeon with couscous salad.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Warm salted roast chestnuts.... just the ticket for a dreary wet Sunday like this...

It was Bonfire night here in Hastings on Saturday, there was a mobile vendor with roasted chestnuts, I bought me & my 9 yo daughter a portion, & she loved them. The first time she'd ever had them.

Casting about for an improvised accompaniment for the beef short ribs I cooked tonight, I boiled half a dozen new potatoes, then partially crushed them and mixed in a couple of tablespoons of roasted red pepper paste and a couples of splashes each of Henderson's Relish and Tabasco Chipotle.

I'll try a few more tweaks next time I do it, but it was very promising.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

for the beef short ribs

It is worrying the Mad Cow is back, good job we're leaving the EU.

That progamme with Jamie in Italy, despite his use of Grandma in Italian in every other sentence, is entertaining and some of his recipes look good.

I'm surprised he didn't invite Bojo as he loves Jollies paid for by everyone else, so he'd have fitted right in.

That tip for roasting the onions in their skins looks a cracker.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Anyone else noticed a trend of chef's openly admitting they use ready made pastry as part of their recipes?

Just seen a really easy recipe for Lentil Soup on youtube as I was browsing and only need Turmeric to buy. Everything else I have. Just had the lentils sat for ages and wanted to use 'em.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

26 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Anyone else noticed a trend of chef's openly admitting they use ready made pastry as part of their recipes?

Just seen a really easy recipe for Lentil Soup on youtube as I was browsing and only need Turmeric to buy. Everything else I have. Just had the lentils sat for ages and wanted to use 'em.

Not sure it is all that recent, either. Patisserie and bread work tends to be a separate discipline to regular cheffing*, and who has the time to layer up puff pastry or roll out filo? And shop-bought pastry is perfectly good unless you're a real perfectionist (or a Bake Off contestant).

*Regular cooking is a skill where you can take risks and liberties, while baking is a science that requires precision. It often attracts different personalities.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Jy Hitchcox @Jybees
6 hours ago

Missus has watched every single episode and season of British bake off, she’s come back with food scales, all the ingredients measuring cups and trays the works. Long story short the entire house has nearly burned down. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spotted and bought in Lidl the other day - crown of goose for under a tenner.

Had it roast and hot the other day, served with frites (cooked in the goose fat, of course).

Had cold cuts of the remaining meat in sandwiches with pickled cucumber this evening.

Both excellent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, Mumby Magic said:

I am a useless pastry chef, I always buy ready made when I am doing pastry, although thanks to a nurse in Hull, I have a pasta machine, and whenever I need spaghetti/tagliatelle/lasagne etc, I make my own

13 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

My interest in red wine is deepening. Marks and Spencer do some nice reds grown on the sides of Mt. Etna.

The larger branches of M&S stock some very interesting and unusual wines. The smaller ones, like the ones at railway stations, have a rather underwhelming selection.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently watching 'The Final Table', and wondering what guest judge Julio Cesar Chavez would do if he didn't like your food. ?

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

'The Final Table' on Netflix is master chefs being professional. The BBC's 'Masterchef: The Professionals' is so far behind this level that it's unreal and a little embarrassing.

And TFT doesn't have a shouty Mockney grocer yelling all the time either.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, Futtocks said:

Currently watching 'The Final Table', and wondering what guest judge Julio Cesar Chavez would do if he didn't like your food. ?

If he straps on his headband then watch out ...

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If he straps on his headband then watch out ...

He turned out to be a fun and enthusiastic judge. Not many dead.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

'The Final Table' on Netflix is master chefs being professional. The BBC's 'Masterchef: The Professionals' is so far behind this level that it's unreal and a little embarrassing.

And TFT doesn't have a shouty Mockney grocer yelling all the time either.

Behind in what way? The quality of the chefs?

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Behind in what way? The quality of the chefs?

Quality of chefs, quality of judges, absence of Gregg Wallace.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

With Christmas around the corner - anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

I’ve already picked up the obligatory Black Friday purchase of Laurent Perrier NV Cuvee Rose (£42, usually £60) which seems to please most people.

Next up, I’m thinking of picking up some of Sainsbury’s own brand Demi Sec champagne at £19.  It’s not something I’ve bought before and am pretty unfamiliar with demi sec champagne generally other than the history of it.  Not sure whether I should start here or with a more recognisable brand?

Would be all ears to any other suggestions and the only other thing I would throw out there is to try Camel Valley English Sparkling wine.  The Cornish vineyard has recently become by royal appointment, if it’s good enough for them it is good enough for you! ?

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

With Christmas around the corner - anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

I’ve already picked up the obligatory Black Friday purchase of Laurent Perrier NV Cuvee Rose (£42, usually £60) which seems to please most people.

Next up, I’m thinking of picking up some of Sainsbury’s own brand Demi Sec champagne at £19.  It’s not something I’ve bought before and am pretty unfamiliar with demi sec champagne generally other than the history of it.  Not sure whether I should start here or with a more recognisable brand?

Would be all ears to any other suggestions and the only other thing I would throw out there is to try Camel Valley English Sparkling wine.  The Cornish vineyard has recently become by royal appointment, if it’s good enough for them it is good enough for you! ?

I don't buy fizz often enough to have a regular favourite, but some of the English sparkling wines are world class.

Morrisons seems to be the place to go: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/nov/24/english-sparkling-wine-tops-which-taste-test-of-non-champagne-fizz

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't buy fizz often enough to have a regular favourite, but some of the English sparkling wines are world class.

Morrisons seems to be the place to go: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/nov/24/english-sparkling-wine-tops-which-taste-test-of-non-champagne-fizz

I’m a big believer in English sparkling wine and would strongly recommend trying what is on offer.

There’s a growing range and we benefit from certain parts of the country sharing a similar type of subsoil composition as the Champagne region in France.

Although £25-£35 per bottle of English sparkling wine might seem pricey compared to say Prosecco or Cava, you are essentially picking up a vintage bottle of wine made in the champagne method which would be starting at least at £50-£60 if it were French produced.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref