Food and drink thread

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

Whenever I think about this I go straight to Blanquette de Limoux tends to be cheaper, made with a better tasting grape and doesn't smell like cat's pee!

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m a big believer in English sparkling wine and would strongly recommend trying what is on offer.

There’s a growing range and we benefit from certain parts of the country sharing a similar type of subsoil composition as the Champagne region in France.

Although £25-£35 per bottle of English sparkling wine might seem pricey compared to say Prosecco or Cava, you are essentially picking up a vintage bottle of wine made in the champagne method which would be starting at least at £50-£60 if it were French produced.

Southern England shares the geology of the Champagne region, just as Western Croatia shares the geology of Tuscany. They can't use the prestigious name, but they can make the same sort of wine.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/23/2018 at 8:19 PM, Futtocks said:

'The Final Table' on Netflix is master chefs being professional. The BBC's 'Masterchef: The Professionals' is so far behind this level that it's unreal and a little embarrassing.

And TFT doesn't have a shouty Mockney grocer yelling all the time either.

I came across the programme a few years back, watched a short segment and switched over, 'professionals' can only describe the fact they are employed/paid for what they are doing because from what little I did see they were lacking in some pretty basic skills/knowledge.

The last cooking programme I watched was Raymond Blanc's 'kitchen Secrets'.but generally I wouldn't even't be bothered with most of the garbage that's been knocked out on TV over the years, it's insulting and cringeworthy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 9:04 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I came across the programme a few years back, watched a short segment and switched over, 'professionals' can only describe the fact they are employed/paid for what they are doing because from what little I did see they were lacking in some pretty basic skills/knowledge.

The last cooking programme I watched was Raymond Blanc's 'kitchen Secrets'.but generally I wouldn't even't be bothered with most of the garbage that's been knocked out on TV over the years, it's insulting and cringeworthy.

The first ever episode was in November 2018. Whatever you were watching, it wasn't that programme.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

XO Sauce - blimey! Bought a jar today from the oriental supermarket, and used it in a pork rib dish.

Blimmin' fabulous!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The first ever episode was in November 2018. Whatever you were watching, it wasn't that programme.

Kitchen Secrets started back in 2010, you must have missed the first 7.5 years ...

Capture.JPG

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

31 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Kitchen Secrets started back in 2010, you must have missed the first 7.5 years ...

Capture.JPG

You didn't make that claim about 'Kitchen Secrets', though. You made it about 'The Final Table'.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You didn't make that claim about 'Kitchen Secrets', though. You made it about 'The Final Table'.

No I didn't. Reread what I said, I'm clearly referring to the UK prog masterchef the 'professionals', the one that I state isn't very 'professional' hence my criticism and in agreement with the person I quoted.

What I said isn't ambiguous, it's obvious what programme I'm referring to.

1 minute ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

No I didn't. Reread what I said, I'm clearly referring to the UK prog masterchef the 'professionals', the one that I state isn't very 'professional' hence my criticism and in agreement with the person I quoted. 

What I said isn't ambiguous, it's obvious what programme I'm referring to.

It is ambiguous, as it was responding to my post about 'The Final Table', and you did not specify which programme you were talking about. You used the exact words "I came across the programme a few years back", so you didn't name the programme you were criticising. You then made a post about when 'Kitchen Secrets' was first broadcast, which further muddied the waters.

However, I have to agree with you about the lack of professionalism from some of the 'Masterchef' contenders in the early rounds. The ones who go to the final couple of weeks are usually pretty impressive, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

I took today off work, as I had a delivery arriving. I could have got it delivered to work, but it was a case of wine, and I didn't fancy lugging something that heavy home.

Anyhoo, with the delivery stashed, I went to Borough Market after the NRL All-Stars games were over and had the first proper scran-splurge since I re-entered the world of work. Lots of delicious things went into the bag, including a morcilla (Spanish black pudding) paté, a wild rabbit, a couple of very stinky cheeses, some smoked eel, iberico bellota ham, black garlic, dressed crab and a game pie.

What with all that and the wine, I think I've got the weekend sorted.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I took today off work, as I had a delivery arriving. I could have got it delivered to work, but it was a case of wine, and I didn't fancy lugging something that heavy home.

Anyhoo, with the delivery stashed, I went to Borough Market after the NRL All-Stars games were over and had the first proper scran-splurge since I re-entered the world of work. Lots of delicious things went into the bag, including a morcilla (Spanish black pudding) paté, a wild rabbit, a couple of very stinky cheeses, some smoked eel, iberico bellota ham, black garlic, dressed crab and a game pie.

What with all that and the wine, I think I've got the weekend sorted.

Do you know that on the Brexit thread, being a support of a posh Super League team is a sign of elitism. If supporting Cas makes you dodgy, then you are really playing with fire!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

9 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Do you know that on the Brexit thread, being a support of a posh Super League team is a sign of elitism. If supporting Cas makes you dodgy, then you are really playing with fire!

Ah, the Brexit thread. If the first casualty of war is truth, then the first casualty of political discussion is a sense of humour.

And truth.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Fish and chips tonight.

The haddock measured almost half a yard (17” )in length was about 4 inches wide at its max point. With firm snow white flesh.

I have the smallest chips they do which is a cone and that is enough for two of us normally. My wife went to the theatre with my daughters so I had to eat them all myself!

2BE3B71B-B4FF-4323-BC4C-1A74F1B481B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

Fish and chips tonight.

The haddock measured almost half a yard (17” )in length was about 4 inches wide at its max point. With firm snow white flesh.

I have the smallest chips they do which is a cone and that is enough for two of us normally. My wife went to the theatre with my daughters so I had to eat them all myself!

2BE3B71B-B4FF-4323-BC4C-1A74F1B481B3.jpeg

The pub in my dad's village doubles up as a fish'n'chip takeaway, and their portions are similarly ridiculous. Their children's portions are at least the size of an average chippy's regular serving. I like to think I have a healthy appetite, but a regular portion defeated me with sheer size.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 5 weeks later...

Banh Mi for lunch today - a good one too! A Vietnamese rice flour baguette, filled with three kinds of pork (paté, ham and spicy roast), shredded carrot and daikon, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, coriander and cucumber.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Don’t know if my taste buds are deserting me in my dotage or Jersey Royal new potatoes have lost their unique taste, this years crop taste no better than the much cheaper varieties from Cyprus, Egypt etc. 

Getting more and more adventurous in my advancing years, pity my fluxing kitchen sockets are on the blink, trying to balance 3 meals (my wife is a nurse, hardly eats at work and finishes at 9pm whilst I start at 5am currently) is hard without a microwave. Going to invest in a slow cooker soon when up and running. Got 3 gammon joints, 1 on the bone and a whole duck to use up. The gammon was 9lb in weight and cost £4.50!! Whilst the Duck cost £2.50!! The luck of working in a supermarket.

Anyhoo, has anyone got or heard of a mustard glaze recipe for the ham on the bone?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Don’t know if my taste buds are deserting me in my dotage or Jersey Royal new potatoes have lost their unique taste, this years crop taste no better than the much cheaper varieties from Cyprus, Egypt etc. 

Funny you mention it; I bought some last week and, while they were nice, they didn't seem as tasty as I remembered either.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/why-screw-caps-on-wine-bottles-can-be-better-than-corks-according-to-a-sommelier/ar-AABRGCi?ocid=spartanntp

Screw tops v Corks in wine bottles? Who cares as long as it is chilled and drinkable? I will even buy boxes.

I have no problem with screw tops; it seemed a little odd when they first started appearing, but that was just because I was used to corks.

Wine boxes seem to be having a resurgence in the last couple of years, and some quite decent brands have begun to offer the option, although not that many yet. Mind you, those black plastic spigots do look a little odd when dangling from an Australian's hat.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson