Food and drink thread

Met some friends at the weekend in a restaurant i`ve never heard of before .Main course cost an arm and a leg , and as i guessed a few bits of meat and veg came on a huge plate . Tried to make me pay as much for a dessert  , wasn`t having that , pints cost nearly six quid ...........it`s the fish shop and down the working mens for me next week !

• Like 1

There's a good deal at Asda, £7 for 2 Pizza Express pizzas, a side (mozzarella sticks, loaded potato skins, garlic mushrooms, etc) and a 1.75l bottle of Coca Cola. Each pizza by itself is £4.

I have adorned my margherita pizza with marmite and mint. Pretty tasty!

40 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I have adorned my margherita pizza with marmite and mint. Pretty tasty!

You are a barbarian.  

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

41 minutes ago, Steve May said:

You are a barbarian.  

No pineapple, which is a small mercy at least.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 03/03/2019 at 08:00, Bearman said:

Fish and chips tonight.

The haddock measured almost half a yard (17” )in length was about 4 inches wide at its max point. With firm snow white flesh.

I have the smallest chips they do which is a cone and that is enough for two of us normally. My wife went to the theatre with my daughters so I had to eat them all myself!

2BE3B71B-B4FF-4323-BC4C-1A74F1B481B3.jpeg

Spent a few days in Cornwall, got back  Thursday and fish & chips seemed to be almost every restaurant that didn't belong to Rick Stein

In fact we didn't know whether to call it Padstein or Rickstow on our visit, and it's between him and HRH who owns most.

One other thing did occur to us we tried mussels twice once whilst out to eat and once where we were staying. At first we thought it was the cooking at the restaurant but when we did our own it became obvious that the quality of Cornish Mussels was far better than those in France.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Spent a few days in Cornwall, got back  Thursday and fish & chips seemed to be almost every restaurant that didn't belong to Rick Stein

In fact we didn't whether to call it Padstein or Rickstow on our visit, and it's between him and HRH who owns most.

One other thing did occur to us we tried mussels twice once whilst out to eat and once where we were staying. At first we thought it was the cooking at the restaurant but when we did our own it became obvious that the quality of Cornish Mussels was far better than those in France.

You can't do much to mussels without ruining them, so the quality of the central ingredient shows through. I love a big bowl of mussels with bread and butter to mop up the sauce afterwards. Too much British-caught seafood gets sold abroad, because we have some of the best produce around.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You can't do much to mussels without ruining them, so the quality of the central ingredient shows through. I love a big bowl of mussels with bread and butter to mop up the sauce afterwards. Too much British-caught seafood gets sold abroad, because we have some of the best produce around.

The fish in general in Cornwall was excellent but I had a fun moment where my wife was given Fondant Tatties that were under cooked in the middle and the restaurant manage tried to tell her they came like that al dente in the middle. I did my best and sent up warning flares and lit the neon danger sings and flashed interdit at her but she insisted on carrying on.

Eventually I made the Missus laugh by telling her she needs to realise that's how they come and she'd got it wrong all these years.

And yes too much fish goes abroad because our marine traditions mean we don't eat fish!

I love mussels too but prefer the bread without butter.

And all winter I dream of plateau de fruits de mer and we have booked a gite as part of the plan.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

And all winter I dream of plateau de fruits de mer and we have booked a gite as part of the plan.

I'm not one for posting pics of my meals but I found this online

image.png.1fac7c1d28641c2e02e92fd643d70964.png

When I'm in Perignan for a match this is dinner (with Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscat Sec from down the road)then a late huge salad for tea.

Edited by Oxford

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

When I'm in Perignan for a match this is dinner (with Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscat Sec from down the road)then a late huge salad for tea.

Caught most of the stuff on that plate , people would be surprised whats swimming about of the Yorkshire coast 

18 minutes ago, henage said:

Caught most of the stuff on that plate , people would be surprised whats swimming about of the Yorkshire coast 

There used to be a Japanese restaurant in Scarborough, and the fish was fresh off the boat. I only ate there once, but it was really good.

Scarborough was also where I had my first oyster. Wonderful.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Scarborough was also where I had my first oyster. Wonderful.

I was a typical fish is too fishy until my Mother in Law persuaded to try her fish at Wheeler's in London, i think that was my first step toward becoming one of the B ourgeoisie ! And just after that Floyd on Fish was on TV.

The road to hell and all that!

9 hours ago, Oxford said:

That would be my idea of heaven. If I could choose it as my last my meal on earth I would as  especially I would not have to worry about my gout flaring up in the morning!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

That would be my idea of heaven. If I could choose it as my last my meal on earth I would as  especially I would not have to worry about my gout flaring up in the morning!

"In heaven there'll be beer for breakfast  ....."

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

One organic chicken,

Crown roast

legs done as confit

Stock for pasta or rice dish

And a chicken sandwich with mustar/mayo, pickled gerkins and capers.

Cheap as chips!

Edited by Oxford

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

thought this might be an idea for here

lazy wasteful domestic.

doesn't know the difference between a tablespoon and what's not a tablespoon, doesn't put one of the important ingredients in the marinade (ginger, which he could have chopped and put in easily enough), states you can freeze the pepper then chucks it away, then he puts the spoon he used onto the chopping board instead of straight in the wash so as not to put any of that (very hot) pepper onto any ingredients that subsequently might be put on there.

Uses dried herbs after he stated he likes to use fresh herbs. Then he went on to use dried/shop bought 'all purpose seasoning' which he doesn't say what it contains (more herbs/spices that he could have chopped/crushed fresh no doubt). Adds more mixed herbs and black pepper when he could have simply added that to the first batch he blended, that makes no sense to add same ingredients later to the same marinade.

he then feels the need to add more sauce to it to add some flavour, thus masking the original flavours of the marinade and to make the sauce he uses bottled sauces with all their added rubbish in it that isn't made locally

I've had better advice from the lady next door when I lived amongst a large West Indian community 25 years ago.

If this guy is a 'chef' he wouldn't ever get a job in a proper kitchen IMO.

4 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

lazy wasteful domestic.

doesn't know the difference between a tablespoon and what's not a tablespoon, doesn't put one of the important ingredients in the marinade (ginger, which he could have chopped and put in easily enough), states you can freeze the pepper then chucks it away, then he puts the spoon he used onto the chopping board instead of straight in the wash so as not to put any of that (very hot) pepper onto any ingredients that subsequently might be put on there.

Uses dried herbs after he stated he likes to use fresh herbs. Then he went on to use dried/shop bought 'all purpose seasoning' which he doesn't say what it contains (more herbs/spices that he could have chopped/crushed fresh no doubt). Adds more mixed herbs and black pepper when he could have simply added that to the first batch he blended, that makes no sense to add same ingredients later to the same marinade.

he then feels the need to add more sauce to it to add some flavour, thus masking the original flavours of the marinade and to make the sauce he uses bottled sauces with all their added rubbish in it that isn't made locally

I've had better advice from the lady next door when I lived amongst a large West Indian community 25 years ago.

If this guy is a 'chef' he wouldn't ever get a job in a proper kitchen IMO.

But apart from that you loved it, got it.

image.png.30c9ecaed5dcda7e8d9a681272f050fc.png       When in Cornwall bought these sea salt mixes and they've proven excellent for cooking with. They're also on amazon   https://www.amazon.co.uk/cornwall-sea-salt/s?k=cornwall+sea+salt

And while we're on the subject a mention of Himalayan Pink Salt which is brilliant stuff.

image.png.be54ef9ce9ef1e113f8ad80d7586cea0.png

And while we're at it Steenberg's organic Lemon Chicken Rub which has the dubious priviledge of being made in Yorkshire would you Adam and Eve it?

image.png.11fbb3f1485721c2759e0a6f2e6fcfe5.png