Food and drink thread

12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I didn't know whether to put this on the RANT thread, or here, but I was so hungry this morning I made some powdered milk, liquid, and ate some 18 months out of date granola. PIP due next Tuesday.

I got my £10 Christmas bonus from the PIP today, spent it on real luxuries, bread, milk, tomatoes, apples (X2) and a packet of m&m's.

As I was leaving Asda on Silverhill, at around 1045 there was a person in the cafe wearing a Warrington shirt, with a cooked breakfast. I couldn't stop to say hello as I could see my bus, so apologies if it happened to be any of you lot.

Edited by Bleep1673

Just made devilled eggs. Terminally unfashionable, but tasty!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/11/2019 at 17:08, Futtocks said:

You also get an unintentionally-biased response from the USA, where you can't import real haggis, but can buy canned abominations that have little to do with the original dish. They are often made with beef, for a start, which is plain wrong.

The commercially aggressive approach by MacSween, however, has made a very decent haggis available in a huge range of shops across the UK, which wasn't the case as recently as 10 years ago. I bought the one I ate last night from a mini-Waitrose, which is their equivalent of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local - shops which often frustrate because of their limited stock. This branch had both haggis and vegetarian haggis in their stripped-down product range.

There was a bit left over, which is forming the middle layer of tonight's pigeon pie. Let's see how that works...

If you're ever in Lanark, call and get a haggis from Blacks..... best ever.

Soreen have brought out a "winte spiced" version of their familiar malt loaf. And it is not bad at all. I'm about four slices into my first one, and already planning to buy another.

51d-a+I87hL.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have yourself a thoroughly modern Christmas!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/11/2019 at 21:43, Futtocks said:

My sister loves her capsule machine, but the coffee just tastes stale to me.

BTW, espresso isn't all that strong in caffeine. The intensity of the favour can make it feel otherwise, but the speed at which the water is forced through the coffee grounds means that it is nowhere near as much of a caffeine hit as other methods, where the coffee and water are in contact for longer.

I have a Vogvigo roaster, a Delonghi burr grinder and an Aeropress coffee maker, and the results are absolutely spot on for my tastes. Rave Coffee (bought through Amazon) supply green coffee beans of good quality, without stinging you on price or delivery costs.

My son introduced me to cold brew coffee a few weeks back. Very coarsely ground then left in water in the fridge for two days to brew. Absolutely amazing and full of flavour. The capsule machine is now redundant.

2 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

My son introduced me to cold brew coffee a few weeks back. Very coarsely ground then left in water in the fridge for two days to brew. Absolutely amazing and full of flavour. The capsule machine is now redundant.

I've made cold brew a couple of times, and while I like it, it is a different version of coffee flavour to hot brewed. Still Aeropress for me, but there are excellent rivals, including cold brew (as long as you're organised enough to already have some on the go when you want a cuppa).

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 12:46, Bearman said:

I had this in Inverness once. I had a go home and it was lovely.

https://thescottishbutcher.com/recipes/chicken-balmoral-and-peppercorn-sauce/

Well I just bbq'ed up the caribou the Innuit lad kllled and gave me....It was wrapped in tinfoil so I put it in the freezer until now.   He shot it from the the snowmobile as they chased the herd...it was a good looking animal (he showed me on his phone).

Anyways i thaw it out and open it up and it is the finest cut from the kill...the middle chunk of the strip loin.  That is what the Inuit hunters always do...they give you, as the Outsider, the best cut (this tradition is thousands of years old)...I'm honoured.  If it is a seal they will get the knives out and give you the first chunk...you must take it and enjoy...it is a sign of respect.

Its been awhilke since I've eaten caribou and it was tender and fine grained....not too gamey but just a hint of liver to it....very good with some nice red wine...of course my wife and son would not try it...they ate chicken instead.

OHHH THE PAIN!

I thought of you Ron...you would have finished that big chunk of wild game meat off with me!

If you ever come up to my place I'm going to give you a big elk steak!

Edited by Kayakman
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well I just bbq'ed up the caribou the Innuit lad kllled and gave me....It was wrapped in tinfoil so I put it in the freezer until now.   He shot it from the the snowmobile as they chased the herd...it was a good looking animal (he showed me on his phone).

Anyways i thaw it out and open it up and it is the finest cut from the kill...the middle chunk of the strip loin.  That is what the Inuit hunters always do...they give you, as the Outsider, the best cut (this tradition is thousands of years old)...I'm honoured.  If it is a seal they will get the knives out and give you the first chunk...you must take it and enjoy...it is a sign of respect.

Its been awhilke since I've eaten caribou and it was tender and fine grained....not too gamey but just a hint of liver to it....very good with some nice red wine...of course my wife and son would not try it...they ate chicken instead.

OHHH THE PAIN!

I thought of you Ron...you would have finished that big chunk of wild game meat off with me!

If you ever come up to my place I'm going to give you a big elk steak!

Sounds wonderful... apart from your wife and kid being all mimsy and not trying it. 

I had moose salami a few years ago, and that was astounding.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sounds wonderful... apart from your wife and kid being all mimsy and not trying it. 

I had moose salami a few years ago, and that was astounding.

Ohh...this is much different than moose salami.

Last weekend went to the Rockfish restaurant in Exmouth dear but the quality was top notch!

People next to us had fish and chips and that seemed such a shame to me when the alternatives were so good.

Judging by what we had they would've been good fish and chips though.

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

This morning..... bacon sarny.... nowt else will do..... plain old bacon sarny.

I've got home cured streaky on my own home made breadcakes.... and its bloody gorgeous. 

Now there are those who taint this shear delight with brown or heaven forbid, red sauce. Not me..... 

Time to rock n roll?

20 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

This morning..... bacon sarny.... nowt else will do..... plain old bacon sarny.

I've got home cured streaky on my own home made breadcakes.... and its bloody gorgeous. 

Now there are those who taint this shear delight with brown or heaven forbid, red sauce. Not me..... 

Time to rock n roll?

Sauce of any hue on bacon is the work of the Prince of Darkness.

• Like 1

I’m at a Department for International Trade event about selling into Eastern  Europe and Central Asia today 

there are 3 types of cake, Turkish delight and sticky toffee pudding

my eating sensibly plan has Taken a day off

Louise O'Connor @oconnola
A sourdough starter is a tamagotchi for people in their 30s

Ralph Waldo Emerson