Food and drink thread

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Easy to do..... but tonight's chiken tikka was bloody gorgeous 

What's your method?

Wife is making a cauliflower curry tonight with black daal and flatbreads. Can't wait to get in..

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

When did Sourdough bread become a thing?

Absolutely awful stuff, as though someone put a bath sponge in the oven.

Stop it.

I thought it was just me. Loads of people raving about this stuff for years, it's horrible - doesn't even make decent toast.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 17:47, Leeds Wire said:

When did Sourdough bread become a thing?

Absolutely awful stuff, as though someone put a bath sponge in the oven.

Stop it.

Louise O'Connor @oconnola
A sourdough starter is a tamagotchi for people in their 30s

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, BryanC said:

I thought it was just me. Loads of people raving about this stuff for years, it's horrible - doesn't even make decent toast.

I was very grateful for it in Boston, MA in 2010-12, but the alternative was American bread.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

21 hours ago, BryanC said:

I love it. Freshly baked on Saturday morning. Must be UK lurpak though. Occasionally a Jam if im feeling snazzy

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can heartily recommend Camel Valley wine from Cornwall

Every year I buy a couple of bottles of their limited run of sparkling red wine as well as a few bottles of their English Sparkling Rose.

They’re award winning in taste tests and have recently become by royal appointment too.

Definitely worth the plunge:

163F276B-A955-483A-B254-F5195B57B531.jpeg

E0D80276-2A0A-4367-A75A-2DF988E32C54.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Rabbit pie.

Game season - I'm making pigeon, mushroom & chestnut pie on the weekend.

Tonight, roast partridge, mashed potato and asparagus. The latter are out of season imports and don't look great, but they'll do.

Two tips for pie-makers:

1. Glaze the pastry with just the yolk, and do it well before cooking, then refrigerate. Add a second layer of glaze just before putting in the oven. The colour is amazing.

2. Let any pre-cooked filling cool before adding the lid, or the steam will make your pastry soggy.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Game season - I'm making pigeon, mushroom & chestnut pie on the weekend.

Tonight, roast partridge, mashed potato and asparagus. The latter are out of season imports and don't look great, but they'll do.

Two tips for pie-makers:

1. Glaze the pastry with just the yolk, and do it well before cooking, then refrigerate and add a second layer of glaze just before putting in the oven. The colour is amazing.

2. Let any cooked filling cool before adding the lid, or the steam will make your pastry soggy.

Oooo you're good!?

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Oooo you're good!?

I've got into pie-making quite recently. Another pie recipe I make occasionally has scallops, king prawns and diced chorizo as the filling. That's a cracking combo!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I've got into pie-making quite recently. Another pie recipe I make occasionally has scallops, king prawns and diced chorizo as the filling. That's a cracking combo!

I love cooking..... but pies are my absolute favourite..... especially in the game season.

Pheasant and partridge season has now finished..... so pigeon and rabbit pies are now on. I love rabbit and leek.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I love cooking..... but pies are my absolute favourite..... especially in the game season.

Pheasant and partridge season has now finished..... so pigeon and rabbit pies are now on. I love rabbit and leek.

My newish (since 2018) job is within walking distance of these good people: http://mckannameats.co.uk/products 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Robin Evans said:

This is fabulous. Is it all in good nick?

All good, and they're nice folk too. Their pork scratchings are superb, but sometimes you get stuck behind someone placing a big order. Just before last Christmas, I found myself behind an aged couple and one of the things I overheard was "now, Boxing Day... how many geese did we reckon we'd need?"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

The empty shelves at your local supermarket are just an encouragement to broaden your cooking skills.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whats the most creative thing you have done during lockdown?

I did a Pork Shoulder chop, and covered it in Redcurrant Jelly, mustard, and chilli flakes last night, this morning I did a really healthy breakfast of Asda Raspberry, apple & Strawberry Granola, with Greek yoghurt, and half a sliced banana on top.

Last weekend, I did a slow dry roast of a joint of beef that was one of the few things left on the meat shelf in Sainsbury's when I went there. I set the oven to about 50 degrees C and let the joint gradually heat, using an internal thermometer probe to monitor. Then I held the internal temperature at 55 degrees (or whatever level of "done" you prefer) for about an hour. With a professional oven, holding an even temperature would be more controllable, but this was close enough for good results.

The slow heating seals the outside of the meat, so you don't get much gravy, but all the juice stays inside. This roasting method also gives excellent cold cuts for sandwiches the next day... unless you eat the lot in one sitting!

Rested for at least 15 minutes before carving, and served with asparagus, mushrooms and a potato salad with some horseradish mixed in.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apologies if this is a duplicate, but i made a small 2k brisket the other week.

Slow roasted with the view to bbq at the end. Didnt need the BBQ in the end, but still a bit disappointed.

My steak cookery has been terrible recently. Last flank i did on the BBQ was a little flabby - suspect i salted too early and didnt let my BBQ get to a screaming hot stage. 

Thinking of getting a sous-vide gadget..