Food and drink thread

A bit of nostalgia, spotted on Twitter.

Ebj4zQ0XsAI0GW9?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 28/06/2020 at 08:42, Futtocks said:

A bit of nostalgia, spotted on Twitter.

Ebj4zQ0XsAI0GW9?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'm intrigued by the South Sea Grill.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm intrigued by the South Sea Grill.

I have a horrible suspicion that gammon steak and a pineapple slice are involved.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I have a horrible suspicion that gammon steak and a pineapple slice are involved.

Ah, yes. I was wondering if it was a variation on surf and turf but pineapple would fit more with the era.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Just thrown together polish pork melted cheese pesto in toasted bread. Beautiful. All i had in tbh. 😁😁

All you need in. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 5 weeks later...

Back in the pie-making habit again. Last weekend's was scallops and king prawns in puff pastry.

Today's is venison, mushrooms, onions and chestnuts in a sour cream sauce, inside shortcrust. In the fridge now with the first egg glaze on, waiting for the time to re-glaze and pop it in the oven.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Back in the pie-making habit again. Last weekend's was scallops and king prawns in puff pastry.

Today's is venison, mushrooms, onions and chestnuts in a sour cream sauce, inside shortcrust. In the fridge now with the first egg glaze on, waiting for the time to re-glaze and pop it in the oven.

Did u put a sauce in with the prawns n scallops?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Did u put a sauce in with the prawns n scallops?

I made a basic roux, just flour, butter and milk. I forgot to mention that there was some diced chorizo in that pie too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have got a nice rack of goat in oven on for 4 hours on low,marinated in garlic/onion seeds/mustard/mint/chives/all sealed in my cast dish with a little stock.

Anyone who likes goat(stronger taste than lamb) try the new vinny g.s in horbury bridge,nr wakefield. Nice simple carribbean menue, the weekly special was goat curry with rice and black peas and a crispy dumpling,very very nice indeed.phone orders and pick it up yourself

8 minutes ago, silverback said:

Have got a nice rack of goat in oven on for 4 hours on low,marinated in garlic/onion seeds/mustard/mint/chives/all sealed in my cast dish with a little stock.

Anyone who likes goat(stronger taste than lamb) try the new vinny g.s in horbury bridge,nr wakefield. Nice simple carribbean menue, the weekly special was goat curry with rice and black peas and a crispy dumpling,very very nice indeed.phone orders and pick it up yourself

There's a place a mile or so away from me that sells goat. I haven't been up that way for a while, so I hope it is still going. I tend to get the cheap chunks on the bone, rather than a full joint. They have a bandsaw for cutting up the carcass - goat bones are apparently very hard and dense, so they ruin cleavers and handsaws very quickly.

If you can't get goat, then mutton comes closest. I can get than in my local Morrisons.

I've made curry goat (the regular Caribbean name, rather than "goat curry", for some reason) a few times. If you can't buy a Jamaican curry mix, adding allspice to an Indian curry powder gets you quite close to the favour.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/09/2020 at 15:43, Robin Evans said:

Nowt poncey today.

Sausage sarny. Pint Assam.

Standard chicken dinner. Glass sauv blanc. Job's sorted......

Question then....

Is Kobe beef worth the hype?

Done right. Yes. It really is.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Oxtail stew on the go....

Honestly, this has been bubbling for a couple of hours. It smells devine

It really is worth the wait, isn't it? And such a ludicrously cheap cut of meat, too, if your local shop sells it.

I'm about to put a scallop, king prawn and chorizo pie in the oven.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Malabar Biryani, courtesy of a Spice Tailor meal kit tonight. Made with chicken breast, and very much an example of comfort food.

Meal kits are getting better and better, compared to the Vesta boxes of past decades.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A Malabar Biryani, courtesy of a Spice Tailor meal kit tonight. Made with chicken breast, and very much an example of comfort food.

Meal kits are getting better and better, compared to the Vesta boxes of past decades.

I have fond memories of Vesta Chow Mein. Washed down with a bottle Sauterne 9/6d  (47 1/2p).

The height of sophistication.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

An email has just informed me that I can shop at Morrison's via Amazon, so I'm giving it a try.

Order placed at 6pm, delivery scheduled for this evening between 8 and 10.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

An email has just informed me that I can shop at Morrison's via Amazon, so I'm giving it a try.

Order placed at 6pm, delivery scheduled for this evening between 8 and 10.

Delivery from confirmation to me getting hold of the goods in less than 2 and a half hours. No iffy BBE dates, you can select which items you'd accept a suggested substitute for, plus Amazon's driver-tracking service. Handed over in sturdy recyclable paper bags, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson