Food and drink thread

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Best chef for tips? I like some of Jamie Oliver's tips tbh. Done some superb poached eggs this morning.

I don't tend to use a single chef for these things. There is so much on the internet, you can compare 2 or 3 different approaches.

Mind you Felicity Cloake's "How to cook the perfect..." column in the Grauniad does a lot of leg-work with classic dishes, as she tries multiple takes from different chefs, selects her favourite elements from each and produces a hybrid recipe at the end. I've used her advice a few times, as she's not bound by authenticity, but looking for the best achievable compromise.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/series/how-to-cook-the-perfect---- 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Vino, Veritas...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought a "Fire Mountain" portable bbq last week ( £49 Amazon)

It is fan assisted and from lighting to cooking is only 5 minutes. It only uses 250g of charcoal.It's easy to clean. ( It's even easier when the stainless steel bowl is lined with tinfoil. 

Tonight I grilled some sardines and a sea bass, just plain... but delicious.

As I say I am really pleased with it. Looking on line there is an upmarket version " Lotus"  ( 3 times the price) has anyone had any experiences to share of either contraption ? Or have  you got any "go to recipes"?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

19 minutes ago, Bearman said:

It is fan assisted and from lighting to cooking is only 5 minutes. It only uses 250g of charcoal.It's easy to clean. ( It's even easier when the stainless steel bowl is lined with tinfoil. 

As I say I am really pleased with it. Looking on line there is an upmarket version " Lotus"  ( 3 times the price) has anyone had any experiences to share of either contraption ? Or have  you got any "go to recipes"?

Never used one of those particular gadgets, but I can certainly recommend mackerel (the freshest you can get), split (butterflied) and quickly barbecued over high heat*. And reserve one or two, once cooked, for making pate.

*serve with potato salad with chopped chives and horseradish mixed into it.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Bearman said:

I've got a lotus grill, it's pretty handy.

Once i get back to the UK and sort myself a garden, i want a Komado Joe. The thought of a simple grilled mackerel, a salad and a late summer evening is very appealing.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 17/04/2021 at 21:00, Futtocks said:

Follow the thread for a potted history of Vesta ready-meals.

First paella I ever ate was a Vesta one. After years of trying to like prawns, shrimps, crab and other crustaceans, I finally decided about 30 years ago to give up trying to like them. So i'd never even attempt a paella these days, even a Vesta one.

We used also to buy the Vesta Chow Mein with the crispy noodles that fluffed up in the oil, quite liked them. The Vesta curry was disgusting, it had raisins and sultanas in it.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

After an unfortunate experience first time out in a Chinese restaurant in Leeds you couldn't get me near one for years.  If I went out for a meal it was steak and chips, or fish and chips.  However SWMBO finally persuaded me to give Chinese another chance.  We went to the Peony on Commercial Street in Leeds, neither of which are there any more.  She suggested chicken curry and chips (not very Chinese)  and it came, it was a chicken leg covered in curry sauce and a pile of chips.  I loved it and we started going regularly to various Chinese places in Leeds, and then when the take-aways opened up using them.  But it was usually curry for me.

We went on holiday to London.  B&B, so we ate out every night.  We'd been in the Chinese, and the Angus Steak House, and various other restaurants.  Neither of us had dared do into an Indian.  We ventured into one on Edgeware Road.  From start to finish I was sold.

When we got home we searched to various places in Leeds - Koh-i-Noor, Ashoka, and the Yorkshire Curry centre to duplicate our London experience, and while we didn't quite manage it we were hooked.

I bought Madhur Jaffery's Indian cookery book, and started searching for ingredients, mainly on Chapeltown Road.  I experimented and made a reasonable curry.  It was only after I discovered the Pakistani supermarkets in Bradford that I found the knack.  I cook curry all the time now.  So from a total curry abstainer, I've become a fiend.

Best Indian restaurant I've tried?  Sheesh Mahal in Bradford.  Trouble is I now live 90 miles away from it 

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

51 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I bought Madhur Jaffery's Indian cookery book, and started searching for ingredients, mainly on Chapeltown Road.  I experimented and made a reasonable curry.  It was only after I discovered the Pakistani supermarkets in Bradford that I found the knack.  I cook curry all the time now.  So from a total curry abstainer, I've become a fiend.

Madhur Jaffrey's book still has a following after all these years, and so many more modern publications. Nearly a thousand  (mostly positive) comments after this article about it: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/mar/21/jay-rayner-on-madhur-jaffreys-indian-cookery-cookbook-a-guide-to-another-world 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Latest delivery from https://www.souschef.co.uk

Escuminac great harvest maple syrup. I wanted late harvest, but it was out of stock.
Halen Mon black garlic ketchup.
Street Food dark Mexican seasoning. Chilli, chocolate and herbs.
Sarawak black peppercorns.
Essential Cuisine mirepoix glace.
Dried wild morel mushrooms.
Dried wild black trumpet mushrooms.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Is the late harvest syrup a stronger taste? I've only ever used it as a sweetener on puddings

Here's the official blurb: "Obtained from maple sap right at the end of the harvesting season, this syrup is a deep amber colour. As the sap matures throughout the season, the caramel and rye flavours deepen and come to the fore."

The great harvest syrup I ended up buying is still quite dark, and tastes great. Next time, maybe, they'll have the late harvest syrup in stock.

I often use it in marinades and BBQ sauces, and occasionally as an alternative to sugar in my coffee.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every biscuit on this thread - wow!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there a right or wrong red wine to stick in a deluxe Spaghetti Bolognese?

I plumped for Malbec in the end 😃

Seems like a good choice, although if you were being hard-line fundamentalist Italian, local red wines of the region where Bologna is situated are Sangiovese, Barbera or Bonarda.

Full-bodied and dry is the way to go, I think. Keeping it Italian, albeit from the South, a Primitivo (aka Zinfandel) would be a great choice.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One tin of Baxters lobster bisque, seasoned with chives, lemon juice, black pepper and timur berry*. Poach some king prawns in the bisque and serve with garlic bread for dipping. Drink what remains when the prawns are all eaten.

*like Szechuan pepper, but with a grapefruity aroma. Good with seafood and pork.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone tried anything from the Salford Rum Company? Started by a couple of Rugby League-playing friends.

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/the-salford-rum-company-creates-a-buzz-with-new-honey-rum/ 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ostrich steaks last night.

I bought them from Aldi and I had forgotten how good they are.For anyone who hasn't tried them. The texture is " beefy", but has a stronger taste than beef.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow