Food and drink thread

What are peas for?

Now I like pea and ham soup ( Even if I say my self, my own in my soup maker is pretty good) mushy peas with fish and chips is a must... But

What about the (sic)  garden peas that come as a garnish? I know that a lot of chefs say that frozen peas are as good as fresh but why bother? They are impossible to eat and just seem to be left and are wasted...again, why bother?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

What are peas for?

Now I like pea and ham soup ( Even if I say my self, my own in my soup maker is pretty good) mushy peas with fish and chips is a must... But

What about the (sic)  garden peas that come as a garnish? I know that a lot of chefs say that frozen peas are as good as fresh but why bother? They are impossible to eat and just seem to be left and are wasted...again, why bother?

Fresh uncooked peas, straight from the pod in June, are great. By July, they aren't nearly as good.

Tinned garden peas are okay, but a bit dull. I prefer marrowfat peas, with a little mint.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cremant.

Bourgogne or Limoux?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cremant de Bordeaux in this case.

Picked up a bottle from M&S for £9 and very nice it is.

I believe there’s eight varieties of cremant in France so I’m keen to try the others now.

It is worth checking out Blanquette as well as Cremant, if you like sparkling wine. Made to the same method, only with a different mix of grapes.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 29/07/2021 at 21:51, voteronniegibbs said:

why are chip shop mushy peas that come from a catering tin different to tinned chip shop mushy peas from the supermarket? However, the real conundrum is, why processed peas? 

Get yerself a box of dried marrowfat peas and go through the process of soaking. Let them cook a bit longer and then you've got mushy peas from heaven. P.s. Corned beef n chips formtea tomorrow😛

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Finding alot of "old school" food coming back onto local pub menus recently. Notably Belly Pork and Braising Steak. Also was informed by one that's it's a best seller.

Cheap cuts of meat have been coming back into fashion for a while now. Hence the spiralling cost of things like lamb shanks, which got ridiculous at least 10 years ago.

The upside is the increasing availability to those who know the use of these cuts. I just got a delivery from Morrison's, including Denver steak, which is a heavily-marbled cut of beef from under the shoulderblade. It is tender enough to grill, but a fraction the price of soft but bland fillet.

The delivery also included, by mistake and at no extra charge to me, some Bavette/Flank steak, a cut the French know and love well, but which is less available over here. Result!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I haven't seen marrowfats soaking for maaaany years, but I do like a good wedge of corned beef 

I like the Fray Benyos Uraguan style corned beef but the Irish style is more to my liking. It's "Corned" as in salted and is more like Yiddish salt beef.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

There was someone on this forum who used to make his own salt/corned beef from scratch, I think. Can't remember who it was, but apparently it is worth the effort if you do it right.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/08/2021 at 11:47, Bearman said:

I like the Fray Benyos Uraguan style corned beef but the Irish style is more to my liking. It's "Corned" as in salted and is more like Yiddish salt beef.

I had corned beef in a cafe on Long Island NY.  It was nothing like what we get here, it was delicious. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

To be honest, while I've had good corned beef and enjoyed it, the compressed stuff we get in oblong tins has its place. Sometimes I get the craving for a cold corned beef sandwich and absolutely nothing else will do.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight, I made Jansson's Temptation. Because my local Sainsbury's has started selling sprats, both tinned and in jars.

This recipe confuses sprats (the traditional ingredient) with anchovies. You can make it with the latter, but it is a much more salty dish (still pretty good, though): https://sweden.se/culture/food/janssons-temptation 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

I was shopping, and found a jar of mushroom, mascarpone and black truffle sauce. I just used it as the topping for a dish of cannelloni, with a filling of minced beef, garlic, onions, mushrooms, red wine and a little mirepoix glace.

Tasty and very rich - enough that I took a mid-evening nap afterwards.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/08/2021 at 20:05, Futtocks said:

Tonight, I made Jansson's Temptation. Because my local Sainsbury's has started selling sprats, both tinned and in jars.

This recipe confuses sprats (the traditional ingredient) with anchovies. You can make it with the latter, but it is a much more salty dish (still pretty good, though): https://sweden.se/culture/food/janssons-temptation 

Not familiar with this one, interesting.

5 hours ago, henage said:

Its gone in freezer . Going to have a seafood special around mid winter time , cheer me up . 

There's a Raymond Blanc recipe for grilled sole with chilli paprika butter - https://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/grilled-dover-sole-recipe/ - that sounds like it'd be a nice Winter warmer.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Woodpigeon pie at chateau fat bloke this evening.... perfect post game tea.... 

Back in the days of yore (2020) when I was commuting to work, one of the perks was that the office was just a couple of blocks away from a proper butcher, which sold game. A good pigeon pie is one of life's great pleasures.

Ralph Waldo Emerson