Food and drink thread

I just had a case of wine delivered. It was a discounted mixed case, and includes 2 bottles of Tuffers' Tipple. Yes, Phil Tufnell has got in on the wine lark. 
However, I'll wait 'til I taste it to pass judgement, as it is an old vine Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre blend from the Pays d'Oc, which at least sounds promising.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I had a bag of salt n shake crisps and the blue bag of salt wasn’t in , not for the first time … scandalous 

Could of been worse.... you could have a bag of nothing but blue ones

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Could of been worse.... you could have a bag of nothing but blue ones

And That's Life! was cancelled years ago, so it wouldn't even have got you on TV.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/09/2021 at 12:55, Futtocks said:

I just had a case of wine delivered. It was a discounted mixed case, and includes 2 bottles of Tuffers' Tipple. Yes, Phil Tufnell has got in on the wine lark. 
However, I'll wait 'til I taste it to pass judgement, as it is an old vine Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre blend from the Pays d'Oc, which at least sounds promising.

Okay, this is not bad at all, if not outstanding either. Quite dry, quite strong at 14% and I think it'll go well with tonight's pizza.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

On the BBC, Episode 2 of The Hairy Bikers go North is bringing back memories of long ago.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight, I cooked squid, stuffed with this: https://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/product/smoky-spanish-style-grains-rice/

Pretty decent, but next time, there are a few tweaks I'd make to the recipe.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have any of you good people got a foolproof recipe for fish pie? 

It's a dish that I get badly wrong every single time. What usually happens is the mashed potato collapses into the fish and sauce, creating an almighty gloopy mess. 

This afternoon our local fishmonger was flogging off a load of scrag end fish pieces so I thought I'd give it another go, but I'm still not sure how...

My first restaurant meal since lockdown started: http://apuliarestaurant.co.uk

Very nice Southern Italian food, if you're ever in that part of London.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/10/2021 at 17:43, Leeds Wire said:

It's a dish that I get badly wrong every single time. What usually happens is the mashed potato collapses into the fish and sauce, creating an almighty gloopy mess. 

This afternoon our local fishmonger was flogging off a load of scrag end fish pieces so I thought I'd give it another go, but I'm still not sure how...

Thicker/less sauce and stiffer mash (less butter, milk, whatever you use), maybe?

To be honest, when I make a pie, it is always a pastry one, so maybe someone else has more experience. If you partially pre-cook the filling of either kind of pie, you must let it cool in the fridge before topping, or the steam will soften whatever you put on top.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Thicker/less sauce and stiffer mash (less butter, milk, whatever you use), maybe?

To be honest, when I make a pie, it is always a pastry one, so maybe someone else has more experience. If you partially pre-cook the filling of either kind of pie, you must let it cool in the fridge before topping, or the steam will soften whatever you put on top.

Thank you - you were absolutely correct, I've been making the sauce too thin and the mash too heavy.

Made it last night by loosely following this recipe and it came out much better. 

I kept the veg out of the pie but steamed a load of kale, carrots and leeks to serve on the side.

Also added garlic, a veg stock cube and lots of roughly ground black pepper. I think it's the addition of flour that I was missing.

Thanks again.

On 01/10/2021 at 20:55, Bearman said:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a20706671/health-benefits-of-tiger-nuts/
Tiger nuts.

I had forgotten these so I bought some from Amazon

lively

Isn't eating the sweetmeats of an endangered species illegal?  Just asking!

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 17:43, Leeds Wire said:

There are only three things I claim to be good at making, food and drink wise...well, four if you include toast.  The three are bread, cider and boiled eggs.

However, Mrs WWD is brilliant in the kitchen.  She confirms Futtocks' suggestions, so I am glad they worked for you.  She also suggests that (i) a slightly higher oven temperature might mean the crust hardens (to the extent you want it to) a bit more quickly, and hence doesn't collapse into the fish and sauce mix; and (ii) you should let the fish and sauce mix cool down a bit more before layering the mashed potato crust on top of it.

I just made and enjoyed this very simple dish - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crab-cucumber-crumpets - only with aioli instead of creme fraiche. Next time, I'll try pickled cucumber instead of salted.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Some time the simple things taste beautiful. Did my own Potato Salad as a side. One large baking spud, mayo, Extra virgin oil drizzle, garlic teaspoon and small onion then left in fridge for over an hour. Will do three side portions and at what cost?

I omit the onion, but add chopped chives. If I'm having it with a red meat dish, I add some mustard or horseradish to the potato salad.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I omit the onion, but add chopped chives. If I'm having it with a red meat dish, I add some mustard or horseradish to the potato salad.

Ah good idea. Just had it with Fish breaded. The onions were almost shallot type. Wanting fresh fish Saturday if I can afford it. 😀

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Ah good idea. Just had it with Fish breaded. The onions were almost shallot type. Wanting fresh fish Saturday if I can afford it. 😀

The horseradish version also goes well with salmon, mackerel and other oily fish.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Just doing a simple curry with beef cheeks and ground toasted whole spices. It's puttering away nicely and tastes wonderful.

To almost quote Kevin bloody Wilson... Monday to Thursday this week I could genuinely have said  "I've had an absolute clot of a day".... not clot but I'm sure you can figure...

Single Malt poured.... First drink in a while..river detectives on... tea filling the house with very pleasant smells.

What a week that's been...

Just been into central That There London, to visit the butchers near where I worked before lockdown. I returned with three pigeons, for tomorrow's pie, and a couple of beef ribs for the slow cooker on Sunday.

The butchers is also near a large Waitrose, so I also have celeriac remoulade, potato rosti cakes and plenty of wine.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson