Food and drink thread

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just been into central That There London, to visit the butchers near where I worked before lockdown. I returned with three pigeons, for tomorrow's pie, and a couple of beef ribs for the slow cooker on Sunday.

The butchers is also near a large Waitrose, so I also have celeriac remoulade, potato rosti cakes and plenty of wine.

Gingdong.... an occasional poster... quite oft banned from this forum, has some pheasant, partridge and duck for me.

I've got a rabbit and a couple pigeons. The lot are going to be braised off, pied up and shared out.

I love game season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I love game season. 

So do I, but it seems that fewer and fewer supermarkets stock anything seasonal in that line. Although the Waitrose did have some this time, they usually have less each year.

The nearest butcher to me is very good for conventional stuff but, apart from occasionally stocking (farmed ) rabbit, very little game.

Tomorrow's pie will also include mushrooms, pancetta, shallots, madeira and thyme. Possibly chestnuts too, or maybe the half of a sweet potato I have left from last night's meal.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

So do I, but it seems that fewer and fewer supermarkets stock anything seasonal in that line. Although the Waitrose did have some this time, they usually have less each year.

The nearest butcher to me is very good for conventional stuff but, apart from occasionally stocking (farmed ) rabbit, very little game.

Tomorrow's pie will also include mushrooms, pancetta, shallots, madeira and thyme. Possibly chestnuts too, or maybe the half of a sweet potato I have left from last night's meal.

Donny market mate.... it really is the poodles swingers..... AND, if you ask said butcher, he will get you some poodles swingers.... 

BTW.... donny Market Black pud.... Best anywhere

Pinched from another forum.

Patterson’s Butchers Sheffield

Just in case anyone is stressing about Christmas Day..............! 
Here's my top tip

Christmas Dinner....
I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for goodness sake!!!
The only difference is that you are allowed to open a bottle of wine before you open the kitchen curtains. 

We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!
Here goes... 

1. Turkey... It's a big ##### chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked! 

2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....( no ##### wonder he's bankrupt if thats what he spends to make stuffing!) 

What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking 

3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one aswell....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto!
I ( nor anyone else I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to ###### about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour,cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy.

4. Vegetables... 

Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the ##### things!! If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!
5. Roast potatoes... Yes I par boil mine then roast them in goose fat but Aunt Bessie also does the same 

6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl!
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding- if birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter /rum sauce etc or anything else that costs a ##### fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)
7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed ###### them off to play with their Christmas presents so that YOU can enjoy your dinner in Peace!
Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry ###### to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.
And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET ###### AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!
Rant over 

Merry Christmas! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mafalda corta pasta, with smoked sprats, garlic, mushrooms, chives, parsley and lemon zest in a cream sauce. Tasty, but a tiny bit over-salted this time. Lesson learned.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rolled shoulder of lamb, roasted with a coating of maple syrup, tomato and habanero chutney, Angostura lemon bitters, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
Served with mashed potato and steamed broccoli and runner beans.
Satisfying.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A duck leg, seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme and timur berry pepper*, then roasted for 90 minutes at medium-low temperature.
Served with black daal (a pre-made Jamie Oliver one) and a few salad leaves (rocket, lambs lettuce etc.) for conscience.
Incredibly simple. Very good.

*a bit like Szechuan pepper, but with a grapefruit aroma. Good with strawberries, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas must be coming - Winter Spice Soreen is on my local Co-op's shelves.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/11/2021 at 17:50, Futtocks said:

Baldy's really are making a name for themselves winning national awards.

259466733_10159999806378255_637876838247

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

Only had Oysters twice, once in Scotland, once in Sussex really lovely.

Over rated as an aphrodisiac. 

Last time I had a dozen of them only 10 of them worked.

Now, that is an old joke.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I'm a bit wary of fresh oysters as of late, now it's legal to dump toxic waste and excrement into British waters, but still remember my first.

On the sea front at Scarborough, shucked by the stall-holder (thankfully) and eaten straight - no lemon juice etc. - wonderful!

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi rugby lovers!

In trip in Toulouse? Como at « le Rouge et Noir » 

This place is not just a bar, it’s not just a place where wo use to support « le stade Toulousain »

It’s also the « Madame TUSSAUDS » of rugby! From 7 to (till) 15!

Located next to the river, in the district of st Cyprien, we are close to the close underground station, at about 20/25 minut from Ernest Wallon stadium.

See you next time

Le Rouge et Noir

3 street of the bridge Saint-Pierre.

Saint Cyprien - Toulouse

• 2 weeks later...

They are out there. I know they're out there cos other folks have told me.

BUT....

I haven't yet had a bottle of English wine, red, pink or white.... sparkling or still, that I've gone "wow, I must get more of this" to.

I do buy a lot of poncey stuff and even my glugging wine is usually around £13-18/bottle.... so it's not the price that's putting me off. Everyone I've tried has been underwhelming and at the very best, bang average.

Given I cant cart 150 bottles over from France any longer, I was happy to try a few English efforts but they lacked any impact. 

Am I looking in the wrong place or shall I just get hold of Berry Bros and/the wine society again?

I haven't bought any English wine in quite a while.

The only ones I've tried were white - either Chardonnay or Bacchus. While they were good, as far as I recall, they weren't eye-openers.

Tried any of these? https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/wine/best-english-still-wine-producers-brands-vintage-kent-sussex-bacchus-grape-a8922521.html

The Litmus Orange Bacchus sounds the most interesting, from that list.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I haven't bought any English wine in quite a while.

The only ones I've tried were white - either Chardonnay or Bacchus. While they were good, as far as I recall, they weren't eye-openers.

Tried any of these? https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/wine/best-english-still-wine-producers-brands-vintage-kent-sussex-bacchus-grape-a8922521.html

The Litmus Orange Bacchus sounds the most interesting, from that list.

Not yet. I've just arrange to call in at the merchants in wentworth tomorrow for a bit of a chat. They have a couple of interest.

I find English wines to be ridiculously expensive for at best ordinary produce and tomorrow won't be any different. I suppose that must be the production costs on a relatively low output but £26 for an average sparkler was dreadful value compared with the wonderful domaine de la fontainerrie in Vouvray at €10 a pop or a pink sparkler from Guy Durand in amboise for a similar price. Both are fabulous wines that have maintained very high standards for at least four decades.

Last visit to France I brought back 155 bottles. Now its 12. 8 if they sparkle ffs

The B word isn't to be mentioned in here!!🤣

Edited by Robin Evans

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

They are out there. I know they're out there cos other folks have told me.

BUT....

I haven't yet had a bottle of English wine, red, pink or white.... sparkling or still, that I've gone "wow, I must get more of this" to.

I do buy a lot of poncey stuff and even my glugging wine is usually around £13-18/bottle.... so it's not the price that's putting me off. Everyone I've tried has been underwhelming and at the very best, bang average.

Given I cant cart 150 bottles over from France any longer, I was happy to try a few English efforts but they lacked any impact. 

Am I looking in the wrong place or shall I just get hold of Berry Bros and/the wine society again?

Little Ginger used to go to school with one of the Carr-Taylors of the Carr-Taylor vineyard which is just down the road from us here.

Their Bacchus is very good and, in English wine price terms, not stupidly expensive.

I wouldn't take their sparkling over a (cheaper) French or Italian alternative though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Little Ginger used to go to school with one of the Carr-Taylors of the Carr-Taylor vineyard which is just down the road from us here.

Their Bacchus is very good and, in English wine price terms, not stupidly expensive.

I wouldn't take their sparkling over a (cheaper) French or Italian alternative though.

Shame I heard tgey treated their harvesting temp staff like slaves, including field overseers, and the field staff got one 30min break a day, and most of them were Eastern Europeans. Apparently, 50% of this years harvest has been left to rot. Covid + Brexit.

Edited by CornwallRL