Food and drink thread

I don't know if it's because travel is a bit restricted and shows no signs of getting any better but so far our holiday has been the most french Chrissy I can remember, or imagine including when we lived in that country.

I'll give you the idea when I tell you that Moules frites seemed like just another meal.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I don't know if it's because travel is a bit restricted and shows no signs of getting any better but so far our holiday has been the most french Chrissy I can remember, or imagine including when we lived in that country.

I'll give you the idea when I tell you that Moules frites seemed like just another meal.

I do miss France. I really do.

21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Me too Robin

The whole culture is different. I drive off the ramp in calais and I'm very happy. Even the autoroute services are better than ours. 

We've made great strides in the uk. We have great food, cheeses, meat and fish etc available for us that we didn't have say 20 years ago. But all that is common place still in France. 

It's not just the food and drink. It's the whole craic. I miss it so much.

I think I'm done with the long drives south now, but as brexit has put paid to me bringing back 150 bottles or so that we buy from the vineyards we've been visiting for 30+ years, its taken some shine from visiting that area.

The loire is about my limit now, but I think we'll be doing more exploration of brittany, Normandy etc more than anywhere else. I fancy trying more of the cider, calvados and beef etc from that region and the seafood from the coast.

I had planned the area just south of Honfleur 2022, but its looking increasingly unlikely now.

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

The whole culture is different. I drive off the ramp in calais and I'm very happy. Even the autoroute services are better than ours. 

We've made great strides in the uk. We have great food, cheeses, meat and fish etc available for us that we didn't have say 20 years ago. But all that is common place still in France. 

It's not just the food and drink. It's the whole craic. I miss it so much.

I think I'm done with the long drives south now, but as brexit has put paid to me bringing back 150 bottles or so that we buy from the vineyards we've been visiting for 30+ years, its taken some shine from visiting that area.

The loire is about my limit now, but I think we'll be doing more exploration of brittany, Normandy etc more than anywhere else. I fancy trying more of the cider, calvados and beef etc from that region and the seafood from the coast.

I had planned the area just south of Honfleur 2022, but its looking increasingly unlikely now.

Since I became a lapsed RL fan and given up politically and given all the other changes you mention life seems a much sadder, less wise place and although I've been a great one for moving on, I don't think it will ever be quite the same again.

BTW love Honfleur  and the Calais shoulder loosening is famous at ours as well!

Edited by Oxford

Christmas day I was sending all my contacts a blessing for the day, and complaining that I was about to endure only my 2nd ever alcohol free (adult) Christmas, when a guy I used to work with, replied, asking for my address, 2 hours later he popped in with a litre of Famous Grouse. Nice.

Birthday meal yesterday - a joint of Dexter beef, with mashed potato (plenty of butter and double cream), plus asparagus and broccoli.

The farm where they raise the Dexters has other produce, but only sells their beef every two years, so the animals are more mature and have more flavour. Simply rubbed with salt, pepper and mustard, then roast 'til pink in the middle - delicious!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normally I find we watch cookery TV programmes and are left with little but wishing we had a pizza oven.

The Christmas Nigella sadly was pretty much in that line, but she had a cutting board with two containers underneath. Such an excellent idea we bought one.

Needless to say organic and all other bases covered.

I wasn't going to post about my garden as it's little, but it is all edible. And it's waking up, we have flowers and bean growth, far too early and the frost will kill it all off.

But at least I won't be troubled by any more climate protests.

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I wasn't going to post about my garden as it's little, but it is all edible. And it's waking up, we have flowers and bean growth, far too early and the frost will kill it all off.

But at least I won't be troubled by any more climate protests.

I'm considering an allotment. 

I can buy high quality veg at farmers markets for a fraction of the time money and effort of growing my own..... but growing my own does appeal

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I can buy high quality veg at farmers markets for a fraction of the time money and effort of growing my own..... but growing my own does appeal

We got one this year added a chicken coop as well. It’s hard work especially with us both working but enjoyable see the transformation and getting and sharing the produce. Will certainly take up a lot of any spare time you might have. I don’t know what it’s like where you are but it took us 3+ years on a waiting list to get it though. 

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The many plantpots and few boxes that make up what we grow are not for "The Good Life" they're just additions to what we buy from organics and local farms. Just like the drawing and painting it's all about wellbeing.

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The many plantpots and few boxes that make up what we grow are not for "The Good Life" they're just additions to what we buy from organics and local farms. Just like the drawing and painting it's all about wellbeing.

Yeh.... I'm happy with that. I'm sure I'll still buy from the farmers market.... but there's a lot of warmth about eating your own carrots n taities😊

• Like 1

Living in a small flat with limited space, I asked for mainly consumable presents from this year’s Christmas and Birthday, so...

• Partridge pate: Delicious.
  • Salted butter caramels: as above.
  • Balsamic vinegar (8 year-old DeFrutum): Just tried a taste - fabulous! I could drink this stuff neat.
  • Gin: Hooting Owl Yorkshire Gin & Sloemotion Damson Gin.
  • Chocolate: Haggis-flavoured dark chocolate. My dad’s sense of humour strikes again.
  • Macarons: My niece made a box of them for me, and her macarons are always top-notch.
  • Tea: Marui Shokuhin cherry blossom and plum tea.
  • Coffee: Three packs of green beans for roasting, plus a ready-roasted pack of Betty’s World’s Best blend for immediate use.
  • Ground black pepper with truffles.
  • Baby capers.
  • Bottarga (salted grey mullet roe): Looking forward to trying this, finely grated over pasta, or in a omelette.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just took a punt and bought a bottle of Opihr's new "Black Lemon" gin. Oh hell yes, this is a winner!

https://opihr.com/opihr-gin-range/opihr-gin-arabian-edition/ 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I just took a punt and bought a bottle of Opihr's new "Black Lemon" gin. Oh hell yes, this is a winner!

https://opihr.com/opihr-gin-range/opihr-gin-arabian-edition/ 

Bought some creten olive oil as recommended by Jimmy Martin. Oooo it's bloody good. Using it for tonight's moussaka. 

Ordered a couple of kg of Suffolk black bacon today..... again, highly recommended by Jimmy.

Meat.

Any decent online recommendations for decent bits of meat? I'm online for my weekly shopping and Waitrose is ace for fish, but at the weekends, i want something a bit fancier as a treat; anything like Wagyu, good beef cheeks, proper nice pork etc.

Ta

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I've been treated to all my fav teas this week.

The memsahib has taken control of the kitchen for a few days.... work's been a bit tense.

I'm getting all the old favs. Moussaka on Saturday, Rabbit pie last night. Hot pot tonight.....made with neck o' mutton. Absolutely fabulous.

Home made chilli burgers tomorrow I hope.

This is a rarity, the kitchen is usually my domain. Getting home late to tea being ready is great.... getting treated is even better! 😍

14 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Meat.

Any decent online recommendations for decent bits of meat? I'm online for my weekly shopping and Waitrose is ace for fish, but at the weekends, i want something a bit fancier as a treat; anything like Wagyu, good beef cheeks, proper nice pork etc.

Ta

You can order from Morrison's via Amazon, and they have some less common cuts of meat, especially beef, like Denver or Bavette steak and ox cheek, at very good prices. Best to order in the morning (and request morning delivery too) to reserve items before they go out of stock. They often sell fish/shellfish like whitebait or razor clams.

I used to make occasional orders from https://www.donaldrussell.com/ - some of their meat is expensive, but search the website and you can get top-quality stuff at more reasonable prices. Beef rib trim was one thing I often bought from them, for casseroles/chillis etc. Their available selection is much smaller than it used to be, though, which is why I stopped using them.

Sadly, OsGrow seems to have folded. They sold some crazy stuff. Zebra, rattlesnake, wildebeeste, etc.

I've recently been looking at https://www.realfoodhub.co.uk which seems promising, but I haven't ordered from them yet. They sell "Welsh Wagyu", although the pictures don't show a massive amount of marbling. The Mangalitsa pork looks tempting, though, as does some of the game on offer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson