Food and drink thread

Potée ( in a slow cooker)

This must be amongst the simplest slow cooker one pot meals ever

Whole carrots and onions, pepper corns, bay leaf and a gammon steak or two covered in water on high for about three hours. (You don't need salt cos of the gammon)

Then potatoes and sausages for the next three hours.

You have a soup for starters or a stock for soup later and in any case pour a little over your veg and meat when in the bowl

Serve with a little olive oil over the top and mustard on the side.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

Potée ( in a slow cooker)

This must be amongst the simplest slow cooker one pot meals ever

Whole carrots and onions, pepper corns, bay leaf and a gammon steak or two covered in water on high for about three hours. (You don't need salt cos of the gammon)

Then potatoes and sausages for the next three hours.

You have a soup for starters or a stock for soup later and in any case pour a little over your veg and meat when in the bowl

Serve with a little olive oil over the top and mustard on the side.

I did a gammon joint on Sunday. Paid a mint for it n'all but bloody ell, it was salty

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I did a gammon joint on Sunday. Paid a mint for it n'all but bloody ell, it was salty

Might be worth soaking overnight in a few changes of water. The first time I made Fabada Asturiana, I did soak the chunk of bacon, but forgot to change the water. The result was pretty salty, but at least I learned my lesson.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Because you do the Potée in water without salting and add Potatoes which,as we know, eat the salt content the gammon is not a problem.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I've just taken delivery of a nice new kitchen knife, but it'll be another few hours before I have an excuse to use it. Drumming my fingers, trying not to just slice random stuff up for the hell of it.

51NT43IAQsL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I've just taken delivery of a nice new kitchen knife, but it'll be another few hours before I have an excuse to use it. Drumming my fingers, trying not to just slice random stuff up for the hell of it.

I have three Wüsthof knives and a pair of kitchen scissors. They are fabulous but lethal. Take bloody good care using them.

They are superb quality and will last several lifetimes if looked after.

The memsahib was taking the pee.... told me she'd put them in the dishwasher to watch my reaction!!😊

30 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I have three Wüsthof knives and a pair of kitchen scissors. They are fabulous but lethal. Take bloody good care using them.

They are superb quality and will last several lifetimes if looked after.

The memsahib was taking the pee.... told me she'd put them in the dishwasher to watch my reaction!!😊

I've been considering a really good Santoku knife for a while. Then, at my sister's for Christmas, she'd just bought one and using it convinced me to take the plunge for either a Wusthof or a Global.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As @Futtocks is also the unofficial keeper of the Obituary Thread I find this post very disturbing.

Edited by hindle xiii
  • Haha 1

My other half has been cooking from scratch and she's a great cook. Got her a couple of cook books. The LEON Soup and the Gok wans brothers takeaway one.

Carrot and Coriander Soup- Nice

Chinese chicken curry nice. 

Salt and Pepper chicken. Mmmm ish. To serve for two suggested half a table spoon of salt. Too much.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I do like poncing about in posh restos.

I'm equally at home in a good french market.

But tonight the memsahib has done beef stew and dumplings. Jeez it was world class snap. Absolutely marvellous. Sounds just an ordinary tea..... either way, enjoyment factor went all the way to eleven😊😊

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I do like poncing about in posh restos.

I'm equally at home in a good french market.

But tonight the memsahib has done beef stew and dumplings. Jeez it was world class snap. Absolutely marvellous. Sounds just an ordinary tea..... either way, enjoyment factor went all the way to eleven😊😊

A proper, stodgy English dumpling - haven't had one of those on ages. This may be something to do over the weekend. It is definitely stew'n'dumplings weather after all.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/01/2022 at 12:17, Futtocks said:

I'm just not sure about Wüsthof knives. We bought a block of them about 20 years ago (Culinar, forged, not the cheaper stamped ones they also do) and have never been over impressed by their edge-retention, especially considering the eye-watering price. You can probably put it down to 'very good yet not very special' steel compared to some of the Japanese varieties, but I really don't think they're quite there.

The breadknife, however, is excellent, which makes the rest of them seem even more disappointing.

eh?

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I'm just not sure about Wüsthof knives. We bought a block of them about 20 years ago (Culinar, forged, not the cheaper stamped ones they also do) and have never been over impressed by their edge-retention, especially considering the eye-watering price. You can probably put it down to 'very good yet not very special' steel compared to some of the Japanese varieties, but I really don't think they're quite there.

The breadknife, however, is excellent, which makes the rest of them seem even more disappointing.

I've got the epicure knives from Wüsthof. They're very good

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I've got the epicure knives from Wüsthof. They're very good

Yeah. Same steel, but wood fibre handle as opposed to the wholly-steel construction of the Culinar. Probably a better grip with yours - ours maybe a bit more durable.

eh?

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

'er indoors bought this the other day. Seems promising.

20220129_092228.jpg

My stepmother was given one of those as a present recently. She's a bit scared of it. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight is pie night.
Partridge breasts, mushrooms, black pudding, shallots, celeriac, sage, parsley, cornflour, salt, pepper, white wine and a teaspoon of mirepoix glace for the filling. The new knife, an effortless joy to use.
Fried up and smelling good, so into the fridge to chill before I start the the pastry work and apply the first egg glaze.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson