Food and drink thread

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

That's interesting, Futtocks.  As a Scot, I would have assumed that a haggis had to be made of meat from lambs or sheep.  I wonder what trading standards would say if you raised it with them (other than, "Don't bother us, we're busy!")

It was a bit dull, but not unpleasant. Not nearly as good as the real thing, though, MacSween's or not.

There are tinned foodstuffs sold as "haggis" in the USA that have no lamb content (it isn't a particularly popular meat over there) and most are very nasty indeed, from what I've heard.

But the real thing is contraband in the USA - you can't import it because they're all squeamish/hypocritical about the ingredients.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

if I could add my penny's worth, it's miles off being accepted. I doubt there's an ounce of truth to it. 

I think that's right but I'd love to see all the generations that have no experience of imperial doing the maths.

Who a thort it, a distraction made up of rods, poles and Perches?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I got back from a snackspedition to Loon Fung  and Bang Bang Oriental in time for Wales v England on The Sportsman.

From Wonderful Patisserie, a char siu bun, a sausage bun and a kumquat moon cake.

From Loon Fung, crispy corn snacks in anchovy, smoked eel and durian flavours, plus mango-favoured Pocky and matcha-flavoured Hello Panda biscuits.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

First of all the food thread on page 2 ? We need to find out who's responsible, heads will roll!

Just travelled to Bristol and North Somerset.

In terms of the countryside Somerset is brilliant. So far in terms of food it's been as disappointing as it gets.

Went to the coast to find all the fish was either fried or breaded or salmon or it was Burgers.

One place offered tapas and we thought it might save the day, and then it included Indian cuisine items and other very non Spanish food.

It was like everywhere was Witherspoons (spelling deliberate!)

Edited by Oxford

18 hours ago, Oxford said:

First of all the food thread on page 2 ? We need to find out who's reasponsible, heads will roll!

Just travelled to Bristol and North Somerset.

In terms of the countryside Somerset is brilliant. So far in terms of food it's been as disappointing as it gets.

Went to the coast to fond all the fish was either fried or breaded or salmon or it was Burgers.

One place offered tapas and we thought it might save the day, and then it included Indian cuisine items and other very non Spanish food.

It was like everywhere was Witherspoons (spelling deliberate!)

I think most of the better and/or ambitious food talent gravitates to Bristol itself down that part of the country. 

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just put some lamb chops in a marinade for this evening: roasted Raj Masala* spice mix, salt, flat leaf parsley, a few dashes of lemon bitters and smoked rapeseed oil.

*coriander seed, cumin, garlic, fennel seed, clove, turmeric, Kashmiri chilli, ginger, fenugreek, desiccated coconut, star anise, asafoetida & cinnamon.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think most of the better and/or ambitious food talent gravitates to Bristol itself down that part of the country. 

Given the time spent there I'd say that's about right Futtocks and it reminded alot of London.

Also had a Waitrose Pokebol for Lunch and they're excellent quality and buy.

I just found this in a shop in my mum's home town. My God, it's good!

Yorkshire-Bramble-Liquorice-Jelly-300x41

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just found this in a shop in my mum's home town. My God, it's good!

Yorkshire-Bramble-Liquorice-Jelly-300x41

With, or on, what do you eat it, Futtocks?

14 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

With, or on, what do you eat it, Futtocks?

I have so far only had it on bread or on toast. You could probably serve it as a condiment for game meat, or as the jam layer in a Bakewell-style pudding.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A Beef Rendang, served with a Clay Oven Bakery naan tonight. Enough made to refrigerate and re-heat on Monday.

Scallop, king prawn & chorizo pie tomorrow.

Plus I just bought some woodpigeon breasts, so I’m thinking of improvising a dish with them, figs and a madeira/sherry vinegar/bramble/liquorice sauce, with frites and pea-shoot salad on the side, for later this week.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/08/2022 at 20:12, Futtocks said:

A Beef Rendang, served with a Clay Oven Bakery naan tonight. Enough made to refrigerate and re-heat on Monday.

Scallop, king prawn & chorizo pie tomorrow.

Plus I just bought some woodpigeon breasts, so I’m thinking of improvising a dish with them, figs and a madeira/sherry vinegar/bramble/liquorice sauce, with frites and pea-shoot salad on the side, for later this week.

Wood pigeon, pea-shoots, madeira and frites? Oooooh get you!

I hate liquorice but I'm always glad to see products in the uk going all regional and making the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Combining two fabulous things - booze and Rugby League!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I decided I need to check the contents of my freezer.

I bought some lamb hearts from the reduced counter in Tesco over the winter and despite the warm weather I thought it was time to use them up.i cooked them as a casserole on a bed of vegetables.

Delicious. Next time I might try them sliced over charcoal

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

42 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I decided I need to check the contents of my freezer.

I bought some lamb hearts from the reduced counter in Tesco over the winter and despite the warm weather I thought it was time to use them up.i cooked them as a casserole on a bed of vegetables.

Delicious. Next time I might try them sliced over charcoal

The only time I cooked lamb hearts was this Fergus Henderson recipe: https://cookingthebooks.blog/2018/01/21/stuffed-lambs-hearts/ 

It worked pretty well.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very crunchy, with a sweet/savoury tang and a little chilli burn.

Smiling-Fish-Crispy-Baby-Clam.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salmon heads.

I bought a pack of 2 quite a few weeks ago from Morrisons. I chucked them in the freezer until last weekend.

I didn't know what to do with them so I put in the slow cooker with some curry spices, base vegetables, lentils and a loin of cod.

It has been alright. I wouldn't recommend on the basis that there are a lot of bones to unpick. Everything else, except the gills, melted away into the gelatinous stew.

A leg of confit duck I did in the slow cooker a couple of days ago, mixed with chopped-up black pudding, some mushroom’n’mascarpone sauce, with a tablespoon of chopped liver mixed in... because it was there.
Topped with mashed potato and some grated cheese (truffled Gouda), then baked until it looked about right.
Damn tasty.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Koskenkorva blueberry and juniper vodka, served with tonic water. The juniper makes it a bit like gin, but still interestingly different. Very refreshing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Gordon Street said:

lidl's in store baked croissants are lovely. Bought some from their Gipton, Leeds branch and am currently enjoying them with a large mug of dark brown tea, 

Warm goats cheese and cheery tomatoes on ciabatta are very good , early doors if you want them warm.

• Like 1