Food and drink thread

There's a Portuguese deli I've recently discovered a couple of miles up the road from me, and you really can't walk past without popping in for a bag of custard tarts. They've also got a freezer full of the kind of seafood you can't get in most supermarkets, or even most UK fishmongers.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There's a Portuguese deli I've recently discovered a couple of miles up the road from me, and you really can't walk past without popping in for a bag of custard tarts. They've also got a freezer full of the kind of seafood you can't get in most supermarkets, or even most UK fishmongers.

best ones I had were from a bakery in Belem, still warm and melted in your mouth. Portugal is probably where I would live if I could escape this shi thole 

28 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

best ones I had were from a bakery in Belem, still warm and melted in your mouth. Portugal is probably where I would live if I could escape this shi thole 

There used to be a Japanese bakery at the local Oriental food hall who did Portuguese-style tarts as well as Japanese ones. They were actually very good.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching the Rugby on Channel 4 with a bottle or two of Samuel Smith's 'Yorkshire Stingo'. This is aged in the brewery's old oak barrels, so you get a result a bit like the Innis & Gunn 'Blood Red Sky' beer.
Not particularly cheap, but very very nice.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Watching the Rugby on Channel 4 with a bottle or two of Samuel Smith's 'Yorkshire Stingo'. This is aged in the brewery's old oak barrels, so you get a result a bit like the Innis & Gunn 'Blood Red Sky' beer.
Not particularly cheap, but very very nice.

the Duncan in leeds city centre has recently closed. Think the pub in Boys From The Blackstuff. It was a Sam Smith's house, so it might have shut on the whim of the brewery's tw at of an owner, since it was very popular with the city's serious and committed drinkers. The array of Sam Smith's bottled beers on offer was something to behold. In all the years of calling in there to soak up a bit of local colour I never got anywhere near sampling them all. 

Edited by Gordon Street

9 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

the Duncan in leeds city centre has recently closed. Think the pub in Boys From The Blackstuff. It was  Sam Smith's house, so it might have shut on the whim of the brewery's tw at of an owner, since it was very popular with the city's serious and committed drinkers. The array of Sam Smith's bottled beers on offer was something to behold. In all the years of calling in there to soak up a bit of local colour I never got anywhere near sampling them all. 

It is a bit sad that, out of the two Smith brothers, there had to be one who was good at making beer, and one who was good at business. Hence John Smith's ghastly swill is on sale pretty much everywhere and Samuel Smith's is hard to find. I miss their oatmeal stout, especially. 

I bought the Yorkshire Stingo on-line as a case of 12, otherwise the price per bottle would have been silly.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is a bit sad that, out of the two Smith brothers, there had to be one who was good at making beer, and one who was good at business. Hence John Smith's ghastly swill is on sale pretty much everywhere and Samuel Smith's is hard to find. I miss their oatmeal stout, especially. 

I bought the Yorkshire Stingo on-line as a case of 12, otherwise the price per bottle would have been silly.

oatmeal stout and imperial Russian stout are/were divine. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If you are still living in London The Sam Smiths Challenge  I was amazed to see that there are up to 36. I can recommend the Princess Louise with it's decorated glass partitioned booths and a coal fire like a blacksmiths forge. I found it by accident when on a long walk with temperatures outside of -1 at midday the warmth and the beer was more than welcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodill Rover said:

If you are still living in London The Sam Smiths Challenge  I was amazed to see that there are up to 36. I can recommend the Princess Louise with it's decorated glass partitioned booths and a coal fire like a blacksmiths forge. I found it by accident when on a long walk with temperatures outside of -1 at midday the warmth and the beer was more than welcome.

People who live in London usually avoid the centre as much as possible, but it is always nice to find it on tap in places like Fitzrovia etc. when I do end up there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My favourite Sam's pub in London is the Captain Kidd alongside the Thames in Wapping. It has a great terrace with great views of the river. 

It's not too far from the historic and hugely overrated Prospect of Whitby.

Both are in the old docklands area which is well worth a few hours stroll.

• Like 3

On 28/07/2022 at 21:27, Futtocks said:

I just found this in a shop in my mum's home town. My God, it's good!

Yorkshire-Bramble-Liquorice-Jelly-300x41

I'm using the last 10-15% of this to make a flavoured vodka. Let's see how it comes out in a few days' time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Its time to collect the bounty of nuts from the Bush...I'm concentrating on shagbark hickory and black walnuts this year...the wild nuts are much better than the stuff in stores...there is a noticeable difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Partridge breasts and the last chopped inch of a chorizo that needed finishing. Seared first, then simmered in a mole poblano sauce.
Served with new potatoes, slow-roasted with salt, pepper, smoked oil, butter, parsley and basil, plus fresh peas (just dunked in a jug of boiling water and left to stand for 3 minutes).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was in the South London district of Herne Hill earlier today. Very nice for food shopping, with the butcher/grocer/deli Dugard & Daughters: http://dugardanddaughters.com 

Plus, among other things. a couple of bakeries, a Sicilian deli, a wine shop and a zero-waste shop (where you bring your own reusable containers and fill up from dispensers).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alcohol wise I can drink most things from the taps, Cider, Beer and Lager. However I can't gel with Madre. (spl) My local has got and don't see the appeal. Tried it a couple of times and if you include the price, I don't get it. 

Another one I had years ago and strangely for a lager, gave me a thick head, was Superbock when I was in Portugal. Have recently been told they are graded so to speak. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

19 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Alcohol wise I can drink most things from the taps, Cider, Beer and Lager. However I can't gel with Madre. (spl) My local has got and don't see the appeal. Tried it a couple of times and if you include the price, I don't get it. 

I assume you that you are talking about Madrí? 

It is a weird one, in that you can buy it here in Spain, but it is basically a tiny microbrewery. I saw it in Carrefour today, and there were 2 bottles on a shelf, among the other speciality beers (compared to literally racks of the big Spanish brands).  It looks like 90 odd percent of their sales are in the UK these days, with a version that Molson Coors are brewing industrially under licence in the UK and pushing as a replacement for Carling in a lot of bars. 

In short, it is big in the UK, but essentially unknown over here. 

Jerk chicken/salmon:

This stuff is amazing. It goes a long way and is only 2 quid in Morrisons.

Mix with tomato ketchup, soy sauce and honey for a ridiculously inauthentic but utterly delicious jerk marinade.

Our teenage boys can't eat enough of it. 

FBO528

When I cook spare ribs, there are some ever-presents in the marinade - oil, salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, smoked garlic granules, thyme, vinegar and something sweet (sugar, honey, maple syrup). What I add to that is down to the whim of the moment - or what's in the cupboard.

The sauce is 2 parts fruit (ketchup, brown sauce, kicap manis etc), 2 parts sweet (sugar, honey, maple syrup) to one part savoury (soy sauce, Worcester sauce, Henderson's Relish). Mix it up 'til it's all the same colour, stick your finger in and taste, then add whatever you think it needs, which may be chilli, or vinegar, or more ketchup etc.

I cook the ribs in the slow cooker for at least 3 hours, then move them to a baking tray to let them dry for about 10 minutes before covering them with the sauce and finishing them in the regular oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes, then turning them over, applying the remainder of the sauce and giving them another 10 minutes. This gives them the stickiness that requires you to take a shower after eating them. Which is as it should be.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Kipper tea! Cue jokes about Slade!

But I hadn't had kippers in years 'til this evening and it was excellent. Served with French fries and coleslaw, which isn't traditional, but still sort of worked.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

There must be one of those intimidatingly-long compound words in German for "the curry you cooked that you were certain would be much hotter than you intended, but somehow ended up pretty much as hoped".
Tasting it after an hour in the slow cooker caused some anxiety, but it all settled down a bit by the time I served it up. The heat was still there, but not as sharp.

Ralph Waldo Emerson