Food and drink thread

Smoked goat kleftiko in the slow oven - still about 4 hours' cooking left.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/03/2023 at 15:05, Futtocks said:

still about 4 hours' cooking left.

Love Kleftico and sometimes I think the purpose of dishes like those is spending a long time getting drunk while you're waiting.

Totally unrelated and the reason for posting now Picard's frozen croissants quality product but keep them in the oven about two minutes longer than it says on the packet.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

There's a playlist on the Atomic Shrimp YouTube channel called Weird Stuff in a Can: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk5KvJPikK010VM4uJumeNG3_QnvYi0e4

Of course I'm watching it.

Of course I'm making a shopping list.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading my Spring edition  CAMRA magazine today and there is a piece about Indian Pubs called Desi Pubs but it's the first time I have heard of this type of Public House and wonder if any of forum members have been to one ?

53 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I was reading my Spring edition  CAMRA magazine today and there is a piece about Indian Pubs called Desi Pubs but it's the first time I have heard of this type of Public House and wonder if any of forum members have been to one ?

They've been around for a while, as local attractions. But they have recently come to the attention of the more mainstream media. Here's an example: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/sep/23/the-tamil-prince-london-n1-restaurant-review-grace-dent

A pub that also serves proper Indian food, whether basic and hearty or more high-end - what's not to love? Well, expect lots of bandwagon-jumpers bringing us a cheaper, nastier Wetherspooonier version and claiming they invented it.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They've been around for a while, as local attractions. But they have recently come to the attention of the more mainstream media. Here's an example: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/sep/23/the-tamil-prince-london-n1-restaurant-review-grace-dent

A pub that also serves proper Indian food, whether basic and hearty or more high-end - what's not to love? Well, expect lots of bandwagon-jumpers bringing us a cheaper, nastier Wetherspooonier version and claiming they invented it.

I like a Spoons Curry once in a blue moon as it's a cheap night out with my mates but prefer my proper Indians as take away as doe's me 3 sittings over a weekend but I would like to try a Desi as I'm not into having 3 course meal in a space of 2 hour's or so...it's to much.

1 minute ago, EggFace said:

I like a Spoons Curry once in a blue moon as it's a cheap night out with my mates but prefer my proper Indians as take away as doe's me 3 sittings over a weekend but I would like to try a Desi as I'm not into having 3 course meal in a space of 2 hour's or so...it's to much.

If it's a pub instead of a restaurant, you can just order a dish or two every now and then across a whole evening's drinking.

If they're also showing Rugby League on the TV screens, you're basically living the high life.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If it's a pub instead of a restaurant, you can just order a dish or two every now and then across a whole evening's drinking.

If they're also showing Rugby League on the TV screens, you're basically living the high life.

Love it 🙂

Someone recommended these to me, specifically the chocolate & caramel version.

They were not wrong.

253783_mcvitiesblissfuls_752857_crop.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 01/03/2023 at 11:04, Futtocks said:

My dad just sent me this link: https://www.onlinebutcher.co.uk/exotic-meats 

I have created an account and will be placing an order, probably next week.

Well, I put off ordering for a while, but have done now. Horse steaks for tonight and mouflon meat that I'll be currying tomorrow or Sunday.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Well, I put off ordering for a while, but have done now. Horse steaks for tonight and mouflon meat that I'll be currying tomorrow or Sunday.

Horse steak tonight, with M&S bubble & squeak cakes and some watercress tzatziki. Tasty meat, but insufficiently different to a decent beef steak to make it particularly special. Glad I gave it a go though, and there are other products from that supplier I certainly intend to try out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone tried this company's wares? https://www.yorkshirehandmadepies.co.uk 

They certainly look good, and they have a nice mix of traditional and left-field (that dessert pie, for instance).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They certainly look good, and they have a nice mix of traditional and left-field (that dessert pie, for instance).

Bookmarked. Proper looking pies them.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Bookmarked. Proper looking pies them.

In the FAQs, they explain why they can't let customer's mix'n'match their own cases of six. A shame, but even so, some of those selection boxes are very tempting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

No but I will soon, love a good pie.  Ordered one of the mixed boxes.  

great northern pie co. Did a great cheese and bean pie 

On 25/03/2023 at 11:12, Futtocks said:

Someone recommended these to me, specifically the chocolate & caramel version.

They were not wrong.

253783_mcvitiesblissfuls_752857_crop.jpg

I've never tried these but it struck me once again the British obsession with milk chocolate is weird and was probably a root cause of Brexit but then creating bicuits with "Belgian" Milk chocolate seems odd. I'm sure they're probably excellent though.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

36 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I've never tried these but it struck me once again the British obsession with milk chocolate is weird and was probably a root cause of Brexit but then creating bicuits with "Belgian" Milk chocolate seems odd. I'm sure they're probably excellent though.

They are worth a go. I don't particularly like praline, so I can't vouch for the hazelnut version.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/04/2023 at 22:13, Futtocks said:

More pie-related news.

Was it dug up in Coccium?

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

My first discounted Easter Egg of the year - Lindt Lindor in this case.

Off to the Co-op later to see what they're clearing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just placed an order with the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse Ltd - smoked eel (the main reason I ordered), smoked prawns and smoked brie. Should be interesting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/04/2023 at 19:59, Futtocks said:

I just placed an order with the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse Ltd - smoked eel (the main reason I ordered), smoked prawns and smoked brie. Should be interesting.

The smoked brie is very nice. I haven't tried the rest yet.

I went to the market a couple of train stops away, returning with a couple of woodpigeons and a couple of venison faggots.

Tonight, I’ll be spatchcocking the pigeons and roasting them with garlic and thyme. Served with French fries, marrowfat peas and a sauce based on blackberry and liquorice jelly.

The faggots are going to be skinned and chopped, mixed with pre-cooked tomatoes and shallots, before being stuffed into schiaffoni pasta tubes, covered in sauce and then baked.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/04/2023 at 19:59, Futtocks said:

Just had the smoked prawns - wow! They will be on my next order too, and the one after that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...