Food and drink thread

I'd have no problem with horse meat being available for sale in the UK. I'd like rabbit to be easier to find in the shops too.

I can understand the furore, though. And there is also the legal matter of listed ingredients not matching actual contents. That matter should always be strictly regulated and checked.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think people are being a bit squeamish. Horses generally are given a name. Most people don't like eating things with a name.

See also: Rabbit

Seems I'm not the only one to draw that conclusion. Linky to BBC article

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed in Waitrose last night - they are now stocking Penderyn Welsh whisky. I had some a few years ago, but had problems finding it in the shops* 'til now.

*short of trekking into central London to visit the estimable Millroys.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I went into this bar with my daughter's partner in NYC had a couple of great beers, and Phil told the bartender it was my birthday.

He gave me a glass of this rye whisky on the house. It was one of the best whysky's I've ever tasted.

also

slow braised virginia lamb in a resataurant in Washington. You could taste the grass it had lived on.

dim sum in a cafe in China town, really delicate, superbly balanced flavours but really filling.

corned beef hash with two eggs over easy on top and a side of home fries in a side street diner, everywhere formica but with bits chipped off the corner, populated by people who lookled as though they'd been up all night and possibly the night before.

a hot dog from papaya dog a street corner scruffy joint on a street corner

and finally filet mignon in BB King's blues bar after being enraptured by Johnny Winter.

highlights of an outstanding eating and suping experience accompanied by some gorgeous beers.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

corned beef hash with two eggs over easy on top and a side of home fries in a side street diner, everywhere formica but with bits chipped off the corner, populated by people who lookled as though they'd been up all night and possibly the night before.

A CCTV image of Chris' holiday. ;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

night hawks

one of my favourite paintings.

there was definitately that kind of flavour about a lot of the places.

Keeping it local

I love Rabbit, Horse, & Kangeroo, my local butcher also has Zebra & Crocodile.

However I am still waiting for Naan bread to rise, Sunday is a Small Turkey stuffed with Partridge with Guinea Foul roast.

I will save Kangeroo Burgers until the evening of the World Cup Final

I would also like to point out that I love Romney Marsh Lamb, Sussex Ham, & Suckling Pig from Cornwall.

& as for the seafood around here............

I Love it #####

Edited by Bleep1673

On my recent trip to Brugge I had a great beef carbonadde served with a massive dollop of apple sauce, at first I thought it was a weird combination but it was brilliant.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Courtesy of Cannon & Cannon, wild venison chorizo (so dark, it looks like a black pudding) and their Welsh air-dried ham, the latter being a very wonderful thing indeed.

So, last night's meal was part-baked M&S ciabatta rolls, finished in the oven, generously buttered and stuffed with the ham, a dob of bacon jam and a handful of salad leaves (pea and radish shoots, mainly). Delicious!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Courtesy of Cannon & Cannon, wild venison chorizo (so dark, it looks like a black pudding) and their Welsh air-dried ham, the latter being a very wonderful thing indeed.

So, last night's meal was part-baked M&S ciabatta rolls, finished in the oven, generously buttered and stuffed with the ham, a dob of bacon jam and a handful of salad leaves (pea and radish shoots, mainly). Delicious!

Oh yes, and a bottle of Viognier. :D

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bert Marshall Meat and Potato Pie with mushrooms, onions, cottage cheese and mixed pickles for dinner.

Bert Marshalls .... fantastic bakery and sandwich shops; the best in Bradford.

Cottage Bakery, Oulton ... fantastic bakery and sandwich shop; the best in Leeds, I reckon.

Nominate your town and sandwich shop.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Bert Marshall Meat and Potato Pie with mushrooms, onions, cottage cheese and mixed pickles for dinner.

Bert Marshalls .... fantastic bakery and sandwich shops; the best in Bradford.

Cottage Bakery, Oulton ... fantastic bakery and sandwich shop; the best in Leeds, I reckon.

Nominate your town and sandwich shop.

Bert Marshall, the NRL's own Rangi "Roger" Chase.

I did home-made fish cakes for the first time last night.

Absolute doddle. I thought this was meant to be difficult.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A colleague tried a cheese over the weekend, he said it was an italian blue and stunk of dog sh"t, unsure where they got it from probably somewhere artisan in the Kirkby Lonsdale, Lancaster, south Cumbria area. His mother in law got it and he doesn't know the name... it's a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

Running late the other night, so dropped in at the nearby Tesco for something to heat'n'eat when I got home. I don't usually shop there, and the chicken in one of their allegedly 'Finest' dishes reminded me why.

All the texture (but less flavour) of one of those plastic erasers, covered in a gloopy, starchy sauce that might, at some point, been within 20 yards of a piece of real cheese.

Genuinely bad food, and when you consider that some 'ready meals' from other supermarkets can actually be quite good, it baffles me how Tesco is a market leader when their produce is so poor.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Big thing to happen for me in the vittals department in Australia since I was last there eleven years ago was the incredible growth in the small brewery market, and the consequent improvement in the mainstream.

Spent far too much time in places like this:

http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/

Just about all still pasteurised but compensating with some great smoky, hoppy, malty flavours. All still cold enough to take the enamel off your teeth.

Coopers is still battling ("improving Australian pubs one tap at a time") but is no longer a stand out in the same way that it used to be.

Even the old rogues like VB and XXXX are now changing the recipes, taking out preservatives and still not tasting of very much but at least are a little more hangover friendly.

The James Squire range seems to be everywhere and is not bad at all - its one fifty lashes is one of several very good IPA;s now doing the rounds.

The whole lot of course is mouthwateringly expensive. Paid around a tenner in many places outside happy hours for a schooner and a midi. Ouch.

Loved the response from the barman at the Hero of Waterloo when I asked him if there was a happy hour. "No mate, helps keep out the amateurs".

Loved the response from the barman at the Hero of Waterloo when I asked him if there was a happy hour. "No mate, helps keep out the amateurs".

:D Love it! :D

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Just had some macarons* from 'Le Moulin' in Hornchurch - lemon, strawberry and chocolate flavours. Very tasty indeed.

*not the same as macaroons - see below.

macaron+vs+macaroon+DBG.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

out with the leaf blower most of today

indulged in a packet of Knorr thick crofters' veg soup or such like to save time.

I don't mind thei minestrone or even their chicken noodle. but this was absolutely rank

it was like polycel with nettles in it.

Keeping it local