Food and drink thread

43 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Pizza,bear with me. Each Friday I buy a pizza.well 2 if I'm honest. Now having tasted pizza in Venice I've become a pizza snob and I've been on a rather glutinous quest to find something akin to the real deal in England. Forget your crudely named kebab houses like "the Nile" on your high St or your Chicago style cardboard from the supermarket, here is your top 5.

5) Dr oetker(German I know)

4)Carlos stone baked pepperoni thin based pizza

3)mama cozzis stone baked pizza

4)iceland hand pulled special range

5)aldis £3.09 hand stretched sourdough pizza range. This takes the crown and I hope you lot are happy with the exta weight I've put on in order to compile this list for you.

Ah, that not-at-all-confusing 5-4-3-4-5 rating.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

I was in my local shop this morning, and I noticed a bottle of Vimto on the shelf, but the label didn't look right, so I picked it up for a closer look. The bottle was glass. I turned the bottle round, and the back had ARABIC writing on it.

I was in a rush, so I didn't ask, but I will be passing later.

50 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was in my local shop this morning, and I noticed a bottle of Vimto on the shelf, but the label didn't look right, so I picked it up for a closer look. The bottle was glass. I turned the bottle round, and the back had ARABIC writing on it.

I was in a rush, so I didn't ask, but I will be passing later.

I haven't had Vimto in years. To me it seems like something from the Seventies, like Wincarnis or Sanatogen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I heart Vimto.

Off the plane into Manchester for a wedding - needed some stuff. Went to Selfridges in the Trafford Centre and saw a Vimto stall. I spent around 40 GBP with a view to taking it home... it didnt last long

On another note, its Chinese New Year so everyone is buying each other food - my boss just brought some pasties in that were absolutely sensational. I've had 4. Absolutely sensational. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 12/30/2017 at 8:38 AM, Tongs ya bas said:

I don't care if I never eat anything again as long as I live.

That sounds rather serious.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

So this morning' choices are..

A) bacon egg mushrooms black dag and  a Cumberland ringpiece

OR

B )  Muesli

Have the Muesli as a starter... job's a gud 'un

Healthy too 

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I was talking to a southerner the other day, and she suggested that Black Pudding was a Sussex/Kentish pudding, I tried to correct her, but she pointed me to the local library where they had 'Blood Pudding' on a menu in 1785 at a Lords mansion.

Is there anything you wouldn't eat or drink? I hate Cucumber, and that's it. I eat everything else.

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was talking to a southerner the other day, and she suggested that Black Pudding was a Sussex/Kentish pudding, I tried to correct her, but she pointed me to the local library where they had 'Blood Pudding' on a menu in 1785 at a Lords mansion.

Is there anything you wouldn't eat or drink? I hate Cucumber, and that's it. I eat everything else.

Apart from the Korean food you mentioned in the Winter Olympics thread 

27 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

A recipe for blood pudding can be found in the writing of Roman gourmet Apicius (1st century AD). There's an even earlier reference in Homer's Odyssey (from the 8th century BC).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A recipe for blood pudding can be found in the writing of Roman gourmet Apicius (1st century AD). There's an even earlier reference in Homer's Odyssey (from the 8th century BC).

It's a common Spanish and south American dish as well, Morcilla is just a spicier Black Pudding

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m attempting a very simple duck montmorency today.

I’m using duck breast roasted with apricot and stuffing served with a morello cherry and kirsch sauce that will be gently heated.

Any tips?

Never cooked it, never had it. But a quick look at some recipes online suggest that it'll be pretty rich. So what will you be serving with it?

Ralph Waldo Emerson