Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

On 17 July 2018 at 1:23 PM, MattSantos said:

A gastronomic michelin star bonanza the next few weekends.

1. A masterclass this Saturday at Waku Ghin (2 star Japanese place) followed by a 6 course tasting menu - looking forward to trying A5 waygu beef

2. Bangkok weekend after for Gaggan's new tofu restaurant, 16 course tasting menu, a Sunday lunch at Bo-Lan (1 star) and then Monday lunch at Nahm (1 star). Trying to fit in SuHring (spelling) as well for Sunday night, but we'll see...

Lots of gym and vegetables in preparation.

Waku Ghin was great; the beef was incredible. The masterclass showed how precise and organised the good chefs are, a real 'masterclass' in simplicity of flavours. Could see this influencing how i eat at home, less mealy type things and more simple, quality ingredients done really well.

The 8 courses (not 6) after showcased sea urchin, black truffle, Japanese fish and of course the absolutely perfect a5 wagyu with aged horseradish. Flipping ace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Homemade cullen skink and cranachan :)   Scottish food that's not deep fried.

cullen.jpg

cranachan.jpg

• Like 2

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Well.

16 courses at Gaggan's new Japanese place was ok (i actually think it's just his mate and Gaggan 'sponsors' it). Every course included tofu and frankly, it just wasn't that nice. Wonderful execution and presentation, but it just wasn't that nice. Went for the full wine flight and the wife with 'sips' - very pricey as i wasn't getting much more in my glass at all. The posh bloke with his jumper tied around his shoulders complained.

Massive bill - can only pay cash! Who walks around with 500 GBP in their pockets! Paid via paypal and had to pay the fee the restaurant's bank applies as well. All in all a very underwhelming and annoying evening! Left feeling that Gaggan is now milking his flagship place (which is brilliant) to rinse as much cash as he can. Fair enough, but it won't be me again.

Bo.Lan the next day for a 5 course dinner. Absolutely bloody wonderful. Located in a nice old school place off a lane which set the scene nicely. Traditional recipes with a modern twist (obvz) which is very similar to Nahm but a little less kick the ###### out of you with spice which is nice. Great drinks. Just proper good snap and reasonably priced too. Mega rain as we were leaving, so a few Thai IPAs in the 'bar' whilst it passed was lovely. 

Didn't bother with Nahm the next day given the similarities, so had a 2 hour massage instead :)

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On 8/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, MattSantos said:

Well.

16 courses at Gaggan's new Japanese place was ok (i actually think it's just his mate and Gaggan 'sponsors' it). Every course included tofu and frankly, it just wasn't that nice. Wonderful execution and presentation, but it just wasn't that nice. Went for the full wine flight and the wife with 'sips' - very pricey as i wasn't getting much more in my glass at all. The posh bloke with his jumper tied around his shoulders complained.

Massive bill - can only pay cash! Who walks around with 500 GBP in their pockets! Paid via paypal and had to pay the fee the restaurant's bank applies as well. All in all a very underwhelming and annoying evening! Left feeling that Gaggan is now milking his flagship place (which is brilliant) to rinse as much cash as he can. Fair enough, but it won't be me again.

Bo.Lan the next day for a 5 course dinner. Absolutely bloody wonderful. Located in a nice old school place off a lane which set the scene nicely. Traditional recipes with a modern twist (obvz) which is very similar to Nahm but a little less kick the ###### out of you with spice which is nice. Great drinks. Just proper good snap and reasonably priced too. Mega rain as we were leaving, so a few Thai IPAs in the 'bar' whilst it passed was lovely. 

Didn't bother with Nahm the next day given the similarities, so had a 2 hour massage instead :)

Maybee sir would like a waffer......? (Franglais)

I have just been doing some gastronomic Googling about the area where I have recently started a new job. Things look good so far...

McKanna Meats

Terroni Deli

I think I'll be doing all right for now.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, MattSantos said:

A lovely young man has just popped by my desk and dropped off my Amazon delivery - Simon Rogan's new cookbook.

Now where can i get some rosehip!?

plenty of them ripening nicely in the New Forest, just now, MS.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, ckn said:

Homemade cullen skink and cranachan :)   Scottish food that's not deep fried.

cullen.jpg

cranachan.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, ckn - two of my favourites.  Have you ever tried Aberdeen butteries (aka rowies)?  A wonderful breakfast, comfort food (if not the healthiest ever created!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for the reminder, ckn - two of my favourites.  Have you ever tried Aberdeen butteries (aka rowies)?  A wonderful breakfast, comfort food (if not the healthiest ever created!)

And a prime contributor to why life expectancy in Scotland is lower!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 minute ago, ckn said:

And a prime contributor to why life expectancy in Scotland is lower!

True, but what a way to go...!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 9:42 PM, Futtocks said:

I have just been doing some gastronomic Googling about the area where I have recently started a new job. Things look good so far...

McKanna Meats

Terroni Deli

I think I'll be doing all right for now.

Just been to both of these for the first time.
McKanna: Gloucestershire Old Spot sausages, a brace of pigeon and a bag of their own glorious pork scratchings. Real pork scratchings, not those disappointing puffed skin ones you get increasingly more often these days.
Terroni: Taleggio, fennel salami, a bulb of smoked garlic and a cheese with flecks of chilli in it.

Not a bad haul. :cool:

Nisses me off when people say they can't afford to eat.

I'm almost working out each meal's price at moment that I cook almost to prove them wrong!

Last night:

2 pieces of "Value" Fish. {Pollock} Bag cost £2.18 Frozen. Approx cost 60p

Poached them and made a Paprika Sauce. App Cost 7p!

Finished off bag of Spuds from Local Farmshop. 2kg for 99p. Did Mustard Mash . App Cost 20p

Handful of veg. AC 10p

Tasty, Nutrious and at a whopping 97p per portion :o

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

52 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Nisses me off when people say they can't afford to eat.

I'm almost working out each meal's price at moment that I cook almost to prove them wrong!

Last night:

2 pieces of "Value" Fish. {Pollock} Bag cost £2.18 Frozen. Approx cost 60p

Poached them and made a Paprika Sauce. App Cost 7p!

Finished off bag of Spuds from Local Farmshop. 2kg for 99p. Did Mustard Mash . App Cost 20p

Handful of veg. AC 10p

Tasty, Nutrious and at a whopping 97p per portion :o

Spot on about eating well on a tight budget. It can be done, but many people don't know how. At some of my tightest times, I'd have potato salad with crispy bacon bits, served in toasted pitta pockets. Cheap, tasty and filling.

• Bag of salad spuds: £1.50 for a kilo (enough for many meals)
  • Pack of 6 pittas: £0.80 with two used for each serving, so the pack will do for three meals.
  • Bacon: £1.50 for Sainsbury's cheapest own brand (enough for many meals).
  • Mayonnaise: £0.75 (enough for many meals)
  • Optional salad leaves or baby gem lettuce: about a quid per pack.

But people really need to be taught basic kitchen skills at school. Nothing fancy; just understanding and carrying out a few elementary techniques that can be applied to lots of different dishes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Spot on about eating well on a tight budget. It can be done, but many people don't know how. At some of my tightest times, I'd have potato salad with crispy bacon bits, served in toasted pitta pockets. Cheap, tasty and filling.

• Pack of 6 pittas: £0.80 with two used for each serving, so the pack will do for three meals.

But people really need to be taught basic kitchen skills at school. Nothing fancy; just understanding and carrying out a few elementary techniques that can be applied to lots of different dishes.

100% right. It's the little things for me. Cheap, lets call them "Value" Baked Beans and Kidney beans. People say I don't like them etc. Fair enough if you are having them with a breakfast or salad (kidney beans that is), but to plump up a chilli that can feed four for an extra 50p??????

On 9/20/2018 at 7:39 PM, Futtocks said:

I think much of this discussion comes from the USA, where eating healthy food is very expensive.  They then repeat the discussion in the UK, where it is not true.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I think much of this discussion comes from the USA, where eating healthy food is very expensive.  They then repeat the discussion in the UK, where it is not true.

In one of Anthony Bourdain's books, he says that, as a sop to sexual equality, American schools stopped making cooking (domestic science, as it was known) a compulsory topic for girls, when what they should have done was make it a subject for boys as well.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, MattSantos said:

Wagyu a5 in Tokyo. I dont think ill stop dribbling. Sensational. 

Do they not have toilets?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I bought a Bulgarian Shiraz from Waitrose the other day. Very nice.

Wine-making is still spreading to new (to UK customers at least) countries. If you get a chance to try Croatian wine, it is worth it. The East of the country, by the coast, has the same geology and climate as Tuscany. But not, so far, the same sort of pricing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Do they not have toilets?

Really complicated ones. Im in an air bnb and i can stand in the bathroom and touch the corners with my arms spread; the hot toilet seat in such a small room is a challenge. 

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

I bought some dandelion and burdock from home bargains today . Haven’t had it since I was a kid 

They do alcoholic d and b. Hoopers. Its a flipping joy