Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Scarborough was also where I had my first oyster. Wonderful.

I was a typical fish is too fishy until my Mother in Law persuaded to try her fish at Wheeler's in London, i think that was my first step toward becoming one of the B ourgeoisie ! And just after that Floyd on Fish was on TV.

The road to hell and all that!

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

9 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm not one for posting pics of my meals but I found this online

image.png.1fac7c1d28641c2e02e92fd643d70964.png

When I'm in Perignan for a match this is dinner (with Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscat Sec from down the road)then a late huge salad for tea.

That would be my idea of heaven. If I could choose it as my last my meal on earth I would as  especially I would not have to worry about my gout flaring up in the morning!

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

That would be my idea of heaven. If I could choose it as my last my meal on earth I would as  especially I would not have to worry about my gout flaring up in the morning!

"In heaven there'll be beer for breakfast  ....."

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

The Giggling Squid

Wagamamas

and Leon

Love these three

One organic chicken,

Crown roast

legs done as confit

Stock for pasta or rice dish

And a chicken sandwich with mustar/mayo, pickled gerkins and capers.

Cheap as chips!

Edited by Oxford

thought this might be an idea for here

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

lazy wasteful domestic.

doesn't know the difference between a tablespoon and what's not a tablespoon, doesn't put one of the important ingredients in the marinade (ginger, which he could have chopped and put in easily enough), states you can freeze the pepper then chucks it away, then he puts the spoon he used onto the chopping board instead of straight in the wash so as not to put any of that (very hot) pepper onto any ingredients that subsequently might be put on there.

Uses dried herbs after he stated he likes to use fresh herbs. Then he went on to use dried/shop bought 'all purpose seasoning' which he doesn't say what it contains (more herbs/spices that he could have chopped/crushed fresh no doubt). Adds more mixed herbs and black pepper when he could have simply added that to the first batch he blended, that makes no sense to add same ingredients later to the same marinade.

he then feels the need to add more sauce to it to add some flavour, thus masking the original flavours of the marinade and to make the sauce he uses bottled sauces with all their added rubbish in it that isn't made locally

I've had better advice from the lady next door when I lived amongst a large West Indian community 25 years ago.

If this guy is a 'chef' he wouldn't ever get a job in a proper kitchen IMO.

4 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

lazy wasteful domestic.

doesn't know the difference between a tablespoon and what's not a tablespoon, doesn't put one of the important ingredients in the marinade (ginger, which he could have chopped and put in easily enough), states you can freeze the pepper then chucks it away, then he puts the spoon he used onto the chopping board instead of straight in the wash so as not to put any of that (very hot) pepper onto any ingredients that subsequently might be put on there.

Uses dried herbs after he stated he likes to use fresh herbs. Then he went on to use dried/shop bought 'all purpose seasoning' which he doesn't say what it contains (more herbs/spices that he could have chopped/crushed fresh no doubt). Adds more mixed herbs and black pepper when he could have simply added that to the first batch he blended, that makes no sense to add same ingredients later to the same marinade.

he then feels the need to add more sauce to it to add some flavour, thus masking the original flavours of the marinade and to make the sauce he uses bottled sauces with all their added rubbish in it that isn't made locally

I've had better advice from the lady next door when I lived amongst a large West Indian community 25 years ago.

If this guy is a 'chef' he wouldn't ever get a job in a proper kitchen IMO.

But apart from that you loved it, got it.

image.png.30c9ecaed5dcda7e8d9a681272f050fc.png       When in Cornwall bought these sea salt mixes and they've proven excellent for cooking with. They're also on amazon   https://www.amazon.co.uk/cornwall-sea-salt/s?k=cornwall+sea+salt

And while we're on the subject a mention of Himalayan Pink Salt which is brilliant stuff.

image.png.be54ef9ce9ef1e113f8ad80d7586cea0.png

And while we're at it Steenberg's organic Lemon Chicken Rub which has the dubious priviledge of being made in Yorkshire would you Adam and Eve it?

image.png.11fbb3f1485721c2759e0a6f2e6fcfe5.png

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:21, Oxford said:

When I went to Jamaica I stayed in an all-inclusive hotel, but the bins outside serving Jerk had a queue that was usually 10-12 deep $450JD for wonderful food (=£3)

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

Verdura last night basically steamed veg but a bit of do it yourself with seasoning, different oils, vinegars and mustards.

And a glass of white and right Picpoul ... maybe I should call it the House White?

Bistronomy: Recipes from the Best New Paris Bistros

image.png.7f25f48767b68f38dc1a2a6579e94616.png

Tend to Favour Bistros rather than Restaurants when in France.

You'll never guess what I'm having today and it's "autentic"

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That dish always reminds me of an anecdote in one of David Niven's autobiographies. During the war, with rationing at its height, Niven was in a gentlemen's club as a waiter told one of the crustier old colonels that the starter of the day was Moules Marinieres. The colonel was outraged "Good God, they're servin' us moles now!".

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Watching this will help you appreciate TV chefs more and an example of why we shouldn't

I think it's VR because the ingredients are invisible most of the time!

I'll just leave this here without comment.

DsMStGhWoAAhjGK.jpg

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Camembert camenwent.

This is one of those few occasions where I do a trip down memory lane mostly because cheese (cows anyway) is off limits these days

but I do miss Lacashire and

image.png.972fcdc1021ca3c752122132cd0ff229.png

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:03, Oxford said:

Last time I was in Brussels, I had a large dish of Moules & a bottle of wine, when I got the cheque I was charged for a small dish and a bottle of beer, I paid & left, as I was leaving I noticed the young Japanese lady at the next table had a small dish & a beer. OOPS 

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

New very dear coffee maker so the only thing to do is