Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

I made myself a really nice fish curry tonight, from scratch, without a recipe, 

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Well, you have to cover everything -

125672.jpeg

Edited by Exiled Townie
Spelling
  • Like 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

I made a rabbit casserole for tea. Well it is autumn.

I got one of my boys bringing me a big chunk of freshly killed caribou...I'll save you some if you are planning to come over this upcoming season?

• Like 1

While I cook easy and quick things on weekdays, I like to put a bit more effort (or at least time) into cooking on weekends, when I have the leisure time and energy.

So, Saturday was scallop, king prawn and chorizo pie. Sunday was ox cheek rendang (although I used a pre-made spice paste for that). Both excellent.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Couscous night!

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

43 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

While I cook easy and quick things on weekdays, I like to put a bit more effort (or at least time) into cooking on weekends, when I have the leisure time and energy.

So, Saturday was scallop, king prawn and chorizo pie. Sunday was ox cheek rendang (although I used a pre-made spice paste for that). Both excellent.

That lad who is bringing me the caribou could also bring me some musk ox but he said it isn't overly good and they actually feed it to their  Husky dogs....I tried it once years ago but it was slow cooked but not too bad.  Kid thought I was a bit crazy to want more.  He is actually looking forward to dining on a large portion of whale meat instead.

musk ox.jpg

Just now, Kayakman said:

That lad who is bringing me the caribou could also bring me some musk ox but he said it isn't overly good and they actually feed it to their  Husky dogs....I tried it once years ago but it was slow cooked but not too bad.  Kid thought I was a bit crazy to want more.  He is actually looking forward to dining on a large portion of whale meat instead.

musk ox.jpg

From what I can see, musk ox eat a lot of moss and lichen, so maybe that's not so great for flavour.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

From what I can see, musk ox eat a lot of moss and lichen, so maybe that's not so great for flavour.

As the Inuit lad said, "We feed our dogs the musk ox Sir."

• Like 1

Great thread.   Only just discovered it...

Don't think I've tried Caribou yet but I once ate Bear and Elk Pelmeni on Xmas Day in Moscow (it's early Jan over there not 25 Dec).   I'm not sure whether it's okay to eat bear (Elk probably fine) but it didn't seem to really stand out as having a lot of flavour.

12 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Don't think I've tried Caribou yet but I once ate Bear and Elk Pelmeni on Xmas Day in Moscow (it's early Jan over there not 25 Dec).   I'm not sure whether it's okay to eat bear (Elk probably fine) but it didn't seem to really stand out as having a lot of flavour.

GRRRRRRRRR....

IT IS NEVER OK TO EAT BEAR. NOT EVER.

• Haha 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

21 minutes ago, Bearman said:

GRRRRRRRRR....

IT IS NEVER OK TO EAT BEAR. NOT EVER.

Do you say that to your wife/girlfriend/significant other? :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 03/11/2019 at 08:28, Mumby Magic said:

What fish?

Haddock

• Like 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

14 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Have moved shirt term and have a Butcher that has various "different" meats available like Boar, Buffalo and Goat. Going to do a goat Curry first. Any types on how to cook the meat?

The meat is lean and a bit like mutton, so curry goat or a casserole is an ideal approach, or you'll get something very chewy indeed. They also have very hard, dense bones, apparently, so let your butcher wear his blades out cutting the meat up. The place I buy goat from bandsaws it into chunks while frozen, which is means you get casserole-sized pieces with bone attached, for extra flavour.

As for recipes, there are loads online, all claiming to be authentic. One tip I've found useful to know is that, if you can't get Caribbean curry spice mix, use a medium Indian one and add allspice, which gets you close to the proper flavour.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Have moved shirt term and have a Butcher that has various "different" meats available like Boar, Buffalo and Goat. Going to do a goat Curry first. Any types on how to cook the meat?

Slowly, low heat

My Butcher (Queens Arcade) does Ostrich, Kangaroo, wild Boar, and plenty of offal

Edited by Bleep1673

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Had wild boar in Poland very nice , over did it a little . Washed down with Polish Lager , lots of Polish Lager . 

Edited by henage

On 06/11/2019 at 15:32, Cheshire Setter said:

I love a good bear steak but haven't had one for a long time....all depends when the bear was harvested...spring is best since you don't get all that browny fat to clean due to getting ready for hibernation.  The meat has a large grain and is very good with fired eggs and onions and mushrooms.

A good Elk steak is really the best of all meats on the grill..caribou is also a special treat and I'm looking forward to getting a big chunk of it.

21 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Cook the goat slow in a stew/crock pot since it is very stringy..very flavourful the closer you get to the bone.  I had a Buffalo Burger the other day and it was great...there is also this combo of cows/buffalo called 'Beerfalo' which is even better!  Odd looking animal though.

The real wild boar is very gamey and needs to be boiled a few times and the water discarded just to get rid of the gameiness...then I like it fried in chunks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I love a good bear steak

Ah, so I didn’t do anything evil by eating bear then? Worried it may have been on the endangered list or something. I wouldn’t normally eat that sort of stuff but it seemed the safest bet out of all the items on the menu! 

Another story on the morality of food choices:

I once ended up being taken into a little basement restaurant in Guangzhou, China by two scruffy ‘people’s power plant’ workers who couldn’t speak English (long story).   There was a dirty old card with black and white photos but no writing - which I assume was the menu although I didn’t recognise the items as food - and I just pointed to a few things randomly...   I have no idea what I ate, apart from a few items like snake and chickens feet... the most worrying thing was a broth with little furry paw things in it 🤢

Having said all that, the two guys paid for it all which shocked me as they were very poor and you don’t expect hospitality in China. I think they were just impressed that a westerner could pick peanuts up using chopsticks! 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Ah, so I didn’t do anything evil by eating bear then? Worried it may have been on the endangered list or something. I wouldn’t normally eat that sort of stuff but it seemed the safest bet out of all the items on the menu! 

I once ended up being taken into a little basement restaurant in Guangzhou, China by two scruffy ‘people’s power plant’ workers who couldn’t speak English (long story).   There was a dirty old card with black and white photos but no writing - which I assume was the menu although I didn’t recognise the items as food - and I just pointed to a few things randomly...   I have no idea what I ate, apart from a few items like snake and chickens feet... the most worrying thing was a broth with little furry paw things in it 🤢

Having said all that, the two guys paid for it all which shocked me as they were very poor and you don’t expect hospitality in China. I think they were just impressed that a westerner could pick peanuts up using chopsticks! 

Snake is good...I've eaten it in the wild many a time....must be washed and cooked thoroughly to avoid salmoella...good with some hot sauce.  Meat is white and tender but the bony spine you are left with after is sort of funny.   Save the snakeskin...it has many uses around camp.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I love a good bear steak but haven't had one for a long time....all depends when the bear was harvested...spring is best since you don't get all that browny fat to clean due to getting ready for hibernation.  The meat has a large grain and is very good with fired eggs and onions and mushrooms.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

GRRRRRRRR.

Cheshire Setter be very wary -Bears can and will eat mangy Setters.

As for you Kman, I am disappointed in you. I thought we were mates.

• Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

GRRRRRRRR.

Cheshire Setter be very wary -Bears can and will eat mangy Setters.

As for you Kman, I am disappointed in you. I thought we were mates.

HEY!  What happens in the Bush stays in the Bush.

• Haha 1

I've got a haggis and some roasted pumpkin wedges cooking right now. Very Autumnal flavours.

Edited by Futtocks