Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

On 07/05/2020 at 17:34, Bearman said:

00EB825C-17A0-4AE5-9104-AEA76F5B0484.jpeg

Howway, man!  'Stotty', Yorkshire?  I divvn't think so, bonny lad!  There again, that's not a stotty - too rounded on the top!

Chinese-style five spice pork shoulder, done in the slow cooker for five hours.

As George Formby might say, "turned out nice".

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Don't suppose anyone has the hairy bikers recipe for salt beef they're happy share with me???

You were watching that too? Mouthwatering.

I don't see their recipe online, so I assume it'll be in a forthcoming book. But there are plenty of other recipes for salt/corned beef available and it seems simple enough, although the HBs' version didn't use the traditional saltpetre, which is the only ingredient you'd probably have to buy online. The only faff is the time necessary to brine the beef properly before cooking.

Here's one without saltpetre: https://www.growforagecookferment.com/how-to-make-corned-beef/ - American measurements can easily be converted online*, and where it says kosher salt, just use sea salt.

*remember, a "cup" means different things for liquids and solids (those crazy colonials!), but once you have a recipe that you like, you can make a note of it with the measurements you understand best. 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Now that me and my wife have separated and Im in our old house which needs doing up Ive introduced country theme days every so often which includes recipes tourist attraction music etc. Weve done China USA Italy and France with tbe last two being the better two. However my 10 year old Geographical minded son has picked Kyrgyzstan ffs for Wednesday. Anyone happen to have a recipe to hand? ?? 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Horseburger 'n' chips, washed down with fermented mare's milk should hit the spot!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Now that me and my wife have separated and Im in our old house which needs doing up Ive introduced country theme days every so often which includes recipes tourist attraction music etc. Weve done China USA Italy and France with tbe last two being the better two. However my 10 year old Geographical minded son has picked Kyrgyzstan ffs for Wednesday. Anyone happen to have a recipe to hand? ?? 

Never had Kyrgyz food, but a quick Google suggests lots of meat, potatoes and bread and not much spicing.

• Like 1

Several variations of this

Beetroot, Feta and Maple Walnut Winter Salad

most roast the beetroot but cliced thinly raw is just as good.

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

Just bought my first jar of Lotus Biscoff Crunchy Spread. It won't be the last!

SCY167.jpg

A bit of nostalgia, spotted on Twitter.

Ebj4zQ0XsAI0GW9?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1

On 28/06/2020 at 08:42, Futtocks said:

A bit of nostalgia, spotted on Twitter.

Ebj4zQ0XsAI0GW9?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'm intrigued by the South Sea Grill.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm intrigued by the South Sea Grill.

I have a horrible suspicion that gammon steak and a pineapple slice are involved.

Just now, Futtocks said:

I have a horrible suspicion that gammon steak and a pineapple slice are involved.

Ah, yes. I was wondering if it was a variation on surf and turf but pineapple would fit more with the era.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)