Cup Shocks

Paul Hewes

Reading the other threads there's quite a few posts saying that cup shocks can't/won't happen again. I was just wondering, and with the help of MLP very much in mind :D how the statistics stack up in the 15 years prior to duper league and the 15 years since its inception.

It would be interesting to know how many lower league opposition teams triumphed over the top tier teams in those periods.

I would also be interested in when was the last time, even if at all, a team from outside the top flight got to the Cup final, let alone win it. The nearest I can recall was Hull K R a few years ago when they got to the semi final and where easily beaten by Saints.

I tend to agree with the era of full time professionals versus part timers then predominately the full timers will win but was just interested if the stats back this up or it's a case of 'the summers always being hotter when we were kids' syndrome :D:D

Reading the other threads there's quite a few posts saying that cup shocks can't/won't happen again. I was just wondering, and with the help of MLP very much in mind :D how the statistics stack up in the 15 years prior to duper league and the 15 years since its inception.

It would be interesting to know how many lower league opposition teams triumphed over the top tier teams in those periods.

I would also be interested in when was the last time, even if at all, a team from outside the top flight got to the Cup final, let alone win it. The nearest I can recall was Hull K R a few years ago when they got to the semi final and where easily beaten by Saints.

I tend to agree with the era of full time professionals versus part timers then predominately the full timers will win but was just interested if the stats back this up or it's a case of 'the summers always being hotter when we were kids' syndrome :D:D

My stats are limited to Fev Paul.

However I do know that no side from outside the top flight has ever made the cup final.

And POst 1996 defeats for SL sides against non SL sides are few & far between.

Salford beat Wigan in 1996

TOulouse beat Widnes (I think) on the way to a Semi-final one year (2007?)

HUnslet beat Huddrsfield one year also.

That's probably it. It's not a lot is it?

if my thoughts are correct , which is unusual, not many clubs outside the top 16 have reached the final in the days of the single division. If memory serves correct only the greatest team won the trophy from outside the top 16. Featherstone in 1967. could be a figment of my imagination or wishfull thinking

if my thoughts are correct , which is unusual, not many clubs outside the top 16 have reached the final in the days of the single division. If memory serves correct only the greatest team won the trophy from outside the top 16. Featherstone in 1967. could be a figment of my imagination or wishfull thinking

You're right Richard, Rovers finished 20th in the league having been beaten home and away by basement dwellers, Doncaster. Having said that, once Rovers won the semi final they didn't 'play to their potential' again in the league but did in the final. Happy days!

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Fax were only a smidgin' away from beating Cas last year, taking them to extra time at the Jungle. Didn't Sheffield also go very close last year?

Rovers might have a better chance if they rest a few regulars in order to lull the Wire into a false sense of security- They don't know how good our fringe players are!

Fax were only a smidgin' away from beating Cas last year, taking them to extra time at the Jungle. Didn't Sheffield also go very close last year?

Rovers might have a better chance if they rest a few regulars in order to lull the Wire into a false sense of security- They don't know how good our fringe players are!

ye think sheffield were pipped at hull kr.

I could be mistaken but I think Hull KR beat Warrington in the Challenge Cup in that last season before they got into Super League.

They did in deed Paul in June 2006. HKR had beaten us in a previous round, the game where that numpty had a go at you when Rovers scored.

HKR eventually got reemed in the semi by St. Helens.

This is the list they came up with on the TRL forum....

1996: Salford beat Wigan

1996 Dewsbury beat London Broncos 12-10

1996 Widnes beat Workington 17-10

1997 Keighley beat Halifax 21-8

2001 Leigh beat Salford 16-12

200?: Hunslet beat Huddersfield

2005: Toulouse beat Widnes

2006 Widnes beat Cas 14-4

2006: Hull KR beat Warrington

It's not a lot really especially when you look and see that 3 of those were in the first year, and most of the others involved teams who've been in and out of SL anyway

This is the list they came up with on the TRL forum....

1996: Salford beat Wigan

1996 Dewsbury beat London Broncos 12-10

1996 Widnes beat Workington 17-10

1997 Keighley beat Halifax 21-8

2001 Leigh beat Salford 16-12

200?: Hunslet beat Huddersfield

2005: Toulouse beat Widnes

2006 Widnes beat Cas 14-4

2006: Hull KR beat Warrington

It's not a lot really especially when you look and see that 3 of those were in the first year, and most of the others involved teams who've been in and out of SL anyway

Mark can you read you pm please