PENALTIES AT GOAL

Phil Loxton

Do fans think,like me that shots at goal from penalties are going out of fashion? The fear of losing the territory gained after such a kick could be remedied by making the side that infringed drop out under the post whether the penalty was successful or not thus giving the ball back to the attacking side in reasonable territorial position.

On Thursday had Batley kicked at goal during the first half they would not have needed such a big mountain to climb later in the game and may have well even pipped Halifax.Its always a big gamble to try for the six points and sometimes its well worth it.What do other fans think?

Do fans think,like me that shots at goal from penalties are going out of fashion? The fear of losing the territory gained after such a kick could be remedied by making the side that infringed drop out under the post whether the penalty was successful or not thus giving the ball back to the attacking side in reasonable territorial position.

On Thursday had Batley kicked at goal during the first half they would not have needed such a big mountain to climb later in the game and may have well even pipped Halifax.Its always a big gamble to try for the six points and sometimes its well worth it.What do other fans think?

In a close game I'd go for 2 everytime...... If we'd took 2 when we had chance in the Sheffield game we'd still be in the NRC!

No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.

"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

Half of the time it would be common sense to take the two in a close game like the Sheffield game, but who makes the decision? I believe the captain is on the field to make decisions like these but these days in our game its the coach who makes the choice. What do others think on decision making?

Surely by encouraging kicks at goal we are just becoming rugby onion!!! Why would we want to do that, I cant think of a worse rule change.

Now my lad, just sit and think of the excitement you get from a penalty and the excitement you get from a try. We should be encouraging attacking rugby not the boring win a penalty and kick goal ######.

I would usually run the ball and keep field position. We did this against Batley and although we didnt score on that set we scored on the next one. RL is about pressure you immediately put yourself under pressure by kicking a goal and having to return from your own quarter as seen numerous times last season esp v Fax.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

It depends, dunnit? Im with Tex in that most of the time, running the ball and going for the six points/a repeat set is the best call. Somerimes taking the two is seen as a sign of weakness from the attacking team who don't fancy their cahnces of a try.

Of course though, if the score is tight, the two points could make all the difference.

I heard one SL coach say that although in principle he always has the decision on a kick it/run it penalty he also understood being occasionally over ruled by his players out on the field who had a better 'feel' for what the best option would be.

Surely by encouraging kicks at goal we are just becoming rugby onion!!! Why would we want to do that, I cant think of a worse rule change.

Now my lad, just sit and think of the excitement you get from a penalty and the excitement you get from a try. We should be encouraging attacking rugby not the boring win a penalty and kick goal ######.

I would usually run the ball and keep field position. We did this against Batley and although we didnt score on that set we scored on the next one. RL is about pressure you immediately put yourself under pressure by kicking a goal and having to return from your own quarter as seen numerous times last season esp v Fax.

And get knocked out of a tournament i.e Sheffield b@gger the excitement. Give me a win anyday.

Now my son thats just my point. You kick the ball then get the ball back in reasonable territory and the excitement continues with the two points in the bag. Opposition well and truly punished.

Now my son thats just my point. You kick the ball then get the ball back in reasonable territory and the excitement continues with the two points in the bag. Opposition well and truly punished.

Thats a fair point however do you think that the infringements that give away a penalty are worth a potential 8 point turn around? I think penalties themselves are too harsh to be honest - does holding down or offside warrant 40m territory or 2 points? Id say not. Maybe the type of penalty could be penalised differently e.g foul play could be more seriously punished.

I like the tactical decision that is required around a penalty at the moment as it creates talking points and differentiates how teams play. As I explained Id go for the possession most of the time unless it was the back end of a tight game.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

And get knocked out of a tournament i.e Sheffield b@gger the excitement. Give me a win anyday.

During the Sheffield game one of our tries came from the set-of-six directly after we ran a kickable penalty. We missed the convert, but if we'd have kicked the penalty, we'd have lost by 2 rather than drew.

I agree with TET that most of the time, a team should run, and keep the pressure on, except when in the sort of scenario of being 1 or 2 points behind with ten minutes to go.

Whether it's coach or players who make the decision, and regardless of score/how long is left, the decision should be made based on one principle: do what the opposition least want you to do.

Agree with TET. Why on earth would we want to encourage kicks at goal ? :huh:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

It depends if you need it to win the game. I bet you wouldn't have run the last one in '83' :dry: .

Agree with TET. Why on earth would we want to encourage kicks at goal ? :huh:

Because sometimes they win you games and sometimes they get you a bonus point. I know,why not do away with the penalty kick at goal. What a farce that would be.

Because sometimes they win you games and sometimes they get you a bonus point. I know,why not do away with the penalty kick at goal. What a farce that would be.

that's right, if there's too much kicking in the game, then the first thing to go should be the ridiculous 40/20. a good defensive stint in your opponents 20 could be all for nought with just one kick, and not only do you lose ground, you lose possession as well. when the rfl run out of silly new rules, here's one for them. why not have a penalty spot in front of the goal, ala football, and all penalty kicks to be taken from there, regardless of where the offence took place. stupid i know, which is why we shouldn't rule it out.

Edited by oldrover

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

It depends if you need it to win the game. I bet you wouldn't have run the last one in '83' :dry: .

Yes Andrew and if my memory serves me right we were 12-5 down in that final and opted to go for goal instead of running it and set the game up for a draw after Quinn booted it over. Then we got our just rewards.

that's right, if there's too much kicking in the game, then the first thing to go should be the ridiculous 40/20. a good defensive stint in your opponents 20 could be all for nought with just one kick, and not only do you lose ground, you lose possession as well. when the rfl run out of silly new rules, here's one for them. why not have a penalty spot in front of the goal, ala football, and all penalty kicks to be taken from there, regardless of where the offence took place. stupid i know, which is why we shouldn't rule it out.

Great stuff Oldrover we could also have the added benefit by letting the fullback stand on the crossbar to try and deflect it. What entertainment but as you say keep it from the rfl or that could be trialed in our league lol.

Great stuff Oldrover we could also have the added benefit by letting the fullback stand on the crossbar to try and deflect it. What entertainment but as you say keep it from the rfl or that could be trialed in our league lol.

we'd be ok. we could just stand Grayshon in front of the sticks.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Thats a fair point however do you think that the infringements that give away a penalty are worth a potential 8 point turn around? I think penalties themselves are too harsh to be honest - does holding down or offside warrant 40m territory or 2 points? Id say not. Maybe the type of penalty could be penalised differently e.g foul play could be more seriously punished.

I like the tactical decision that is required around a penalty at the moment as it creates talking points and differentiates how teams play. As I explained Id go for the possession most of the time unless it was the back end of a tight game.

For technical infringements like holding down, interference or offside I would much prefer the referee to be allowed to wipe the tackle count clean and the count start from zero. This would allow the game to flow more and reduce the kicks at goals by taking that option out of the equation. Maybe if teams were having to defend 10, 14, 18 tackles on the spin because of stupid delaying tactics it may have an effect on their style of play.

Yes Andrew and if my memory serves me right we were 12-5 down in that final and opted to go for goal instead of running it and set the game up for a draw after Quinn booted it over. Then we got our just rewards.

Indeed so my friend, I suppose in those days th penalty was greater reward as it was 2/3 rds a try whereas now it is only worth 1/2 a try.

I remember a couple of years ago Dewsbury played in the league at our place. It was the last play of the game, they were 14 behind and were given a penalty in front of our sticks at the railway end. They chose to run and the hooter went on third play. A risky six would have had the same outcome as an easy two. It depends on the circumstances. We all love to see the team running a pen but sometimes it is the wrong decision.

Indeed so my friend, I suppose in those days th penalty was greater reward as it was 2/3 rds a try whereas now it is only worth 1/2 a try.

I remember a couple of years ago Dewsbury played in the league at our place. It was the last play of the game, they were 14 behind and were given a penalty in front of our sticks at the railway end. They chose to run and the hooter went on third play. A risky six would have had the same outcome as an easy two. It depends on the circumstances. We all love to see the team running a pen but sometimes it is the wrong decision.

This thread has really split fans opinions and that is what is great about our game. Some groan when a conversion is missed and the same fans moan if we go for goal at a penalty.....priceless!!!!