Ref today

Paul Hewes

Thought the young lad today didn't do that bad, at least he was consistent in his allowing both teams the extra few seconds laying on and a few iffy tackles, but at least he wasn't constantly blowing his whistle and interupting the flow of the game. Much prefer his methods over say Hicks, Leahy and O'halloran :lol::lol: . Took no back chatting off their big uns as well! :lol: . To say he is only 19 I thought he did o.k.

turley (the 19 year old) didn't ref. There was a change of ref. Today's ref was called leatherbarrow. And yes, significantly better than leahy!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Bearing in mind that no ref will give a faultless performance, I reckon today's guy (whether it was the young kid or not) was the best ref we've had down at POR for quite some time. He made no attempt to "stamp his authority" or to "show 'em who was boss"; he just let the players play and gave a calls as he saw them.

He didn't do the usual thing of hysterically penalising the defensive team when the attacker dives forward; everytime someone tried it, he told them to get on with the play-the-ball.

Yes, he made a few errors (in my eyes), but by arriving without a pre-determined agenda, we were able to see a game of rugby without focusing on the controversy generated by the man-in-the-middle.

Bearing in mind that no ref will give a faultless performance, I reckon today's guy (whether it was the young kid or not) was the best ref we've had down at POR for quite some time. He made no attempt to "stamp his authority" or to "show 'em who was boss"; he just let the players play and gave a calls as he saw them.

He didn't do the usual thing of hysterically penalising the defensive team when the attacker dives forward; everytime someone tried it, he told them to get on with the play-the-ball.

Yes, he made a few errors (in my eyes), but by arriving without a pre-determined agenda, we were able to see a game of rugby without focusing on the controversy generated by the man-in-the-middle.

Must admit I thought he did well too, though from the first tackle of the match he was looking at the Haven players backs at the play the ball, not even close to being onside. This made it a very small 10, if he was going to allow that he ought to have gone a step further back.

Also one thing that gets me going is when the lino pulled their last try back for off side at the kick and was over ruled, whats the point in having them if you aren't going to listen to them when they tell you something.

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling

Plastering

Bathroom fitting

Fencing

Guttering

Insurance work

Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

I didn't think he did badly. When you've won 54-18 you can't really complain about the ref. I don't know how many penalties he awarded, but there weren't many.

I used to have a customer called Leatherbarrow in Kirkby (Liverpool) It is an unusual name.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

There seemed to be no bias in his decisions. The only iffy mistake was not awarding Fev the last try. I don't think Kyle touched it with his fingers it seemed to hit his leg.The ref seemed to let it go till we actually touched down. Perhaps he took some instruction from the stand as it was a very close call. But all in all a good refereeing performance altogether. This week Leatherbarrow Last week LEATHERED BARROW. o k I'll leave the forum now. :D:D:D

we did have quite an indepth discussion on his performance at one point in the game, where we all agreed that we hadn't really noticed the ref and for me thats how it should be. I thought he was excellent maybe the odd offside was let go but id rather have that than the constant pedantic tripe we usually get in this division. The guy didn't let his power go to his head like most of the rest do, he didn't seem to favour any team and reffed the game very fairly in my opinion. excellent! can we have him every week.

Edited by Mick H

Was there try in the second half out of play? From where I was sat his foot planted firmly on the whitewash before grounding the ball.

Did anyone else get a good view, or seen the video?

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

I thought he was great. He let the game flow which is what we all pay to see.

Hope to see him back again soon.

if his paper round doesnt clash

is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

I agree with Mick H, i didn't really notice the ref which is a good thing, i think most refs make a few mistakes but this guy did extremely well. Just hope for his sake that he continues like this for the rest of the season because has we all know consistancy in reffing is not around at the minute!

Was there try in the second half out of play? From where I was sat his foot planted firmly on the whitewash before grounding the ball.

Did anyone else get a good view, or seen the video?

view from clubhouse clearly on the line but never mind unless we lose the leagie a points diff of 5

is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe