Random internet link of the day

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I won a bet with shadow I'm happy to share this link

http://www.popupsoupkitchen.co.uk/

Trev is a lad I went to school with. It was a grammar school when I went and suited to academic students. I'm hoping my old friend doesn't mind my suggestion that he wasnt an academic.

He left at 16. But he was a thinker and had a mind for solutions. He has a couple of patents that have seen him ok and he's made a good living with his garage. 

A few years ago he was irritated by the amount of homeless on the isle of Wight and the local authorities inability to seeming help.

Trev converted an old trailer, cadged some snap and made buckets of soup to take out and feed homeless.

The word got out. More hungry folk, some with addictions, some with mental ill health, some without a soul in the world to help them came to Trev for some comfort and food. A basic need.

He ponced himself round all the supermarket bakers wholesalers etc and the stream of good quality food grew.

Now he has volunteers manning the pop up soup kitchen feeding the homeless.

Last month' Trev was at a posh do in London receiving a standing ovation for his effort and given the observer food monthly award for charitable project (I may have got the award title wrong). He was given his award from Rick Stein and Nigella..... the 2@ got up close n cuddly with nigela!!!!

He's a brexiter and I wouldn't be surprised if his politics are far removed from mine. But he's a bloody good bloke.

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 2

I'm trying out the latest version of Firefox, Quantum. Looking very promising so far.

It has the speed and a lot of the customisability of the old version of Opera.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stuck for ideas on what to buy your cloth-eared granny this Christmas?  The latest TV celebrities' mid-life crisis crooner albums, reviewed for your edification. :D 

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Stuck for ideas on what to buy your cloth-eared granny this Christmas?  The latest TV celebrities' mid-life crisis crooner albums, reviewed for your edification. :D 

What's with the Piano Album guy? 3 Gnossiennes but only 1 Gymnopedie? That's no way to do Satie. With the extra space on CDs these days you're supposed to do the whole 6 Gnossiennes as well.

27 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

What's with the Piano Album guy? 3 Gnossiennes but only 1 Gymnopedie? That's no way to do Satie. With the extra space on CDs these days you're supposed to do the whole 6 Gnossiennes as well.

There was a sheet music album published by Salabert, which contains the three Gymnopedies and 1 of the Gnossiennes. Maybe that's what he'd bought, instead of the complete piano collection, and figured the rest of the record could be filled with other material.

It is quite a nice selection, overall.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Electronic engineering done right.  Someone hooked their Alexa device up to one of those talking fish and managed to synch it properly.

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The Literary Review is Tweeting short extracts of this year's contenders for its annual 'Bad Sex in Literature' awards. Just search @Lit_Review :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Gswan said:

Aaarrgghhh 

Ralph Waldo Emerson