Random internet link of the day

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the heels of the hot Beaver Rub, one more for the list of Canadian stuff which couldn’t possibly be sold in the UK.  I had a mouthful of tea when I turned round and saw this on a breakfast TV segment showing on the telly in the work lunchroom, the website proudly front and centre.

I had to do some clean up.  Quite wide ranging clean up as it happens, just glad no one was stood in front of me.

http://www.bollyx.com

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Giant bee, thought extinct, found again. And I mean GIANT!

_105736225_cbolt.jpg

Don't get it angry!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Don't get it angry!

No, you're thinking of Bill Bix-Bee.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Semi-identical twins. Yep, it's a thing.

They have been identified as the second reported case of semi-identical, or sesquizygotic, twins in the world, and were the first to be diagnosed while still in the womb.

It is believed the siblings are the result of one egg being fertilised simultaneously by two sperm.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-28/semi-identical-twins-brisbane-world-first-in-utero-discovery/10857398

• 2 weeks later...

Shock, horror! Australia has NO species of deadly, poisonous Bat. Every other animal species seems to have a deadly cousin, but not Bats. Yeah, they have a type of Vampire that only attacks other animals, but nothing deadly to humans

Sissies.

I noted on last nights One Show, they have banned an episode of Peppa Pig in Australia, because it says Spiders are harmless.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Shock, horror! Australia has NO species of deadly, poisonous Bat. Every other animal species seems to have a deadly cousin, but not Bats. Yeah, they have a type of Vampire that only attacks other animals, but nothing deadly to humans

Sissies.

I noted on last nights One Show, they have banned an episode of Peppa Pig in Australia, because it says Spiders are harmless.

Yes but Australian bats can carry a rabies-like disease, Lyssavirus, which is fatal to humans. I think only 1 person has died in the last 20 years since only 1%of bats carry the virus and most bats live away from residential areas and only feed at night. A lot of our echolocating bats are very small and live in rainforests so it's almost impossible to see one.

They can carry another fatal disease called Hendra virus but that infects horses which then infect humans. There has only been one or two deaths ever from Hendra and most horses are vaccinated. There is no direct bat > human transmission.

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

More upside-down bats

If you ever get the chance to go to Sydney then make sure to visit the park that goes out into the bay area. There are hundreds of fruit bats just hanging in the trees desperately trying to wrap their wings over their eyes to get some sleep! And they are big, fruit bats are at least a foot long, maybe even two foot.

16 minutes ago, JCXV said:

If you ever get the chance to go to Sydney then make sure to visit the park that goes out into the bay area. There are hundreds of fruit bats just hanging in the trees desperately trying to wrap their wings over their eyes to get some sleep! And they are big, fruit bats are at least a foot long, maybe even two foot.

There's a big colony down the hill from my place along Eastern Creek, about 200m away. You rarely notice them because during the day they're hidden by the tree foliage and they don't fly out until right on dusk. Unless they all fly out at the same time most people would just think they were birds. My local ones are the Grey Haired FFs

Okay, this is clever stuff.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 3/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, JCXV said:

They fly Out West on an evening sometimes which can be quite a sight! I used to have a couple of them that used to stop and rest in the trees in my garden regularly, one if them scared the out of me when I was coming home and it suddenly swooped out of the tree and flew over my head!

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, Bleep1673 said:

For our Australian Cousins who don't know what I'm talking about, as usual.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/wedding/outraged-bride-calls-off-wedding-as-snake-friends-refuse-to-pay-£1200-to-attend/ar-BBMs3N5?ocid=spartanntp

Bride calls off Wedding and relationship after her demands for all guests to pay $1500 per guest towards he "Kardashian Style" wedding, when enough people didn't pledge to attend, she upped the cost per guest to $5000, at which point the guests suddenly decided watching repeats of NCIS Miami was more important.

• Sad 1