Random internet link of the day

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a superb randomness to this list.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Modern maps side by side with historical 1900 OS map, with overlays.

A really nice thing that's been updated since the earlier versions.

That's nicer to use, with the slider, but far fewer choices of old map than https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=51.58022&lon=-0.24292&layers=170&b=1 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow! just wow! I found a site that is even more pedantic than I am. It's the VideoLAN forum, for VLC player and so on. I wrote "Just a question I guess." Their spellchecker thingy highlighted "question," which seemed very odd because I'd spelt it correctly. Anyhow I hovered over it and the system was telling me to use a comma after question. "Just a question, I guess."

Imagine if every site on the Webzes started using Grammar checker! The internet would explode.

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Wow! just wow! I found a site that is even more pedantic than I am. It's the VideoLAN forum, for VLC player and so on. I wrote "Just a question I guess." Their spellchecker thingy highlighted "question," which seemed very odd because I'd spelt it correctly. Anyhow I hovered over it and the system was telling me to use a comma after question. "Just a question, I guess."

Imagine if every site on the Webzes started using Grammar checker! The internet would explode.

I whole-heartedly approve! :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It did it again. This time it didn't like, "Since I've found the answer I could possibly delete the thread but I'll leave it here in case anybody else is wondering." It suggested commas after answer and thread. I think a comma after answer is 50/50 but after thread? No way! The conjunction "but" signifies that a new topic or aspect is being introduced and thus, ipso facto, ends the previous clause and doesn't need a comma.

Even so, I think I'm in love. 😍 I think I've found my spiritual home. I might sod off TRL and spend my days on the VLC forum. I could post randoms strings of text then spend hours arguing with Grammar Checker about the suggested revisions.

To quote some of the earlier work of the Scottish philosopher Roderick David Stewart, "I once was lost but now I'm found."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As we head towards the days with the fewest hours of daylight, the live webcams in Shetland are well worth a watch on nights when Shetland is experiencing clear skies, in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights.  The one at Burrafirth is probably the best for this, but do enjoy the others for what they show.  Here is the link:

Burrafirth | Shetland Webcams

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Yeah but look who the pilot was:

TPMS_1TPMS.webp

Is that the closest he's been to active service?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A thread. You need to click the link to read it, but there's some crazy names!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by this Tweet from David Gilmour's wife, I'd say don't hold your breath for a Pink Floyd reunion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...